• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 08:39 PM

When I read things like this I just shake my head but it dosen't surprise me. For the most part the days of real "Teaching" are all but over sadly.

I went to school to become a technology teacher so I can tell you first hand, having spent some time in the classrooms today its a heck of alot different than it used to be when I went to school. When I got into it I had no idea all the behind the scenes political BS that goes on in these schools, Almost everything is politics and many teachers are afraid to speak up or do anything. Its one of the reasons I decided not to take up this profession as I'd likely be fired the first week for saying what I believe and not accepting the Politically correct stance forced down our throats by the higher ups and state levels.

Dont get me wrong there are many great teachers and schools out there but there are also far too many schools going down the wrong track.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Bruce Dorsi, johndeereelfman and 4 others have said thanks

#17 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 09:23 PM

I opened up Alan's link and read the story to my wife and kids. After I was done, my daughter (the fighter) asked me if I'd be mad if she was suspended for doing something like that, or for standing up for another student that was getting bullied. I told her I wouldn't be, and confirmed to her that I'd be very proud of her, or any of our kids for doing what they think is right. 

As for the schooling now days, this is my opinion, so take it for what it's worth:

Most of you know that I'm a God Fearing man, and my beliefs in him are very strong, although sometimes when I'm mad, I may not be the best example! However, I believe that our school systems have been on a down hill path ever since they (the government) took God out of schools. There has been more and more shootings, drug use, profanity, and just a down right disrespect of students lately. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all schools are like this, and I'm not saying all students are like this, however back in my day, there weren't shootings, pot was the worst drug, yes there may have been a little profanity, but the students for the most part, still respected their elders, teachings, rules and guidelines!

I recently applied for and was accepted for a volunteer coaching position at our school district, and the first thing they gave me as a rule was there was to be no mention of God or Prayer while being present of any of the athletes. Say What???? What happened to saying a prayer before the big game? What happened to praying for an injured player on the field? None of this is allowed anymore? Why not?? 

Our school district has developed a special day, one time a year, called "Meet you at the Pole". A group of kids join together on that day and meet at the flag pole to pray for students, the school board, the teaching staff, and for having the opportunity in getting God back in the school, even if it was for just one day. 

I know I should be happy for them, and I really am, but I just can't help but wonder why we can't have him in school the remaining 364 days! 

I have been off work the past week, so to help out my wife, I have been picking up my youngest son at the Elementary School everyday. Last Thursday, while waiting for my son to come out, they released the 2nd and 3rd grade students first. A young girl walked past me with one of her friends, cussing up a storm and telling her friend how she was going to kill her uncle for not being there on time to pick her up. The girl couldn't have been older than 8 or 9 years old!!! One of the mothers standing there waiting beside me heard this, and looked at me with concern and asked if I heard what she thought she heard. I said yes, isn't it said, and she said this is what happens when the kids are allowed to over power the parents and teachers. I just kind of shrugged my shoulders and shook my head, but after thinking about it while walking home with Ryan, I thought to myself there is a lot of truth to what she said. Instead of parents and teachers having control of the kids now days, the kids are actually controlling us! It's really sad. However, as a well known Basketball Player used to say..."Not in my house, and Not today"!!! I will not let my kids get the upper hand over my wife and I. My kids know to show respect, to mind their manners, and to say Thank You when given punishment for something they know they did wrong. 

Sorry for venting, but it's a sore subject with me, and I can't hold back once I get started! 

After going back and reading this, I see that I got off topic, and my rant really didn't have anything to do with the article. But, to set the record straight, I'm in favor for the kid saving the girls life. I commend him for his efforts, and I feel that he was indeed wrongly punished. My rant I guess, was more of why the teachers don't or can't do much of anything anymore when it comes to making vital decisions. Again, I was off topic a bit, but at least I got to stand up for something I strongly believe in.

If the moderators need to pull this post, then do what you feel is right. 

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 26, 2016 - 09:34 PM.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, MH81 and 10 others have said thanks

#18 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 09:33 PM

Our school district has developed a special day, one time a year, called "Meet you at the Pole". A group of kids join together on that day and meet at the flag pole to pray for students, the school board, the teaching staff, and for having the opportunity in getting God back in the school, even if it was for just one day. 

I know I should be happy for them, and I really am, but I just can't help but wonder why we can't have him in school the remaining 364 days! 

I have been off work the past week, so to help out my wife, I have been picking up my youngest son at the Elementary School everyday. Last Thursday, while waiting for my son to come out, they released the 2nd and 3rd grade students first. A young girl walked past me with one of her friends, cussing up a storm and telling her friend how she was going to kill her uncle for not being there on time to pick her up. The girl couldn't have been older than 8 or 9 years old!!! One of the mothers standing there waiting beside me heard this, and looked at me with concern and asked if I heard what she thought she heard. I said yes, isn't it said, and she said this is what happens when the kids are allowed to over power the parents and teachers. I just kind of shrugged my shoulders and shook my head, but after thinking about it while walking home with Ryan, I thought to myself there is a lot of truth to what she said. Instead of parents and teachers having control of the kids now days, the kids are actually controlling us! It's really sad. However, as a well known Basketball Player used to say..."Not in my house, and Not today"!!! I will not let my kids get the upper hand over my wife and I. My kids know to show respect, to mind their manners, and to say Thank You when given punishment for something they know they did wrong. 

Sorry for venting, but it's a sore subject with me, and I can't hold back once I get started! 

Very well said Troy, I couldn't agree with you more!!

• MH81, johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#19 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 09:49 PM

I agree with what's been said and will add that a large portion of the students I've met can't even do simple math without a calculator, and look at me funny when I figure it out before they can get their phone out, WTF are they being taught?

• MH81, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#20 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 10:39 PM

The kid "did the right thing". The teacher was totally negligent. The school system is trying to deflect their failure by distracting attention to the kid. As the comedian George Wallace used to say 45 years ago: its a sick sick world out there. Good Luck, Rick
  • MH81, oldedeeres, adamjd200 and 1 other said thanks

#21 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 304 Thanks
  • 236 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 12:08 AM

When people do the right thing against the grain they are following their conscious spirit, that little piece of god in us that makes him our father,to do nothing is the sin. things like this reminds me that we are not lost,not alone and not without hope. you can kill the messenger but not the good in man that sent it.just my 2 penny's
  • MH81, johndeereelfman, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#22 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 10:26 AM

On the other hand, if he'd been taking her to Planned Parenthood, he'd have gotten a medal.

#23 greenb69 OFFLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 10:57 AM

There is a phrase, my life is in the hands of anyone that makes me lose control. It has always been my understanding that the government is, of, for and by the people. If our representatives do something we don't like then it is because we allow it. 300 million people in the U.S. mostly Christians and yet only a few change our laws. Something wrong with this picture. Just my 2 cents.
  • Bruce Dorsi, johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#24 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 12:29 PM

If you read further on that page there is a link to some updates about this story, the boy is getting a lot of praise, and they are now going after the girl saying that she was faking it and threating her because people want the teacher removed.  They also say she was told by the nurse that it was a panic attack, and shortly after sent back to class with little to no medical attention.

• MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#25 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,887 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 08:43 PM

http://www.kcentv.co...onal-internship

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 09:37 PM

http://www.kcentv.co...onal-internship

Well, there's the feel good minute of the day.
Thanks
  • adamjd200 and bbuckler have said thanks

#27 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 09:47 PM

The teacher and school are really going to start feeling some heat now if they weren't before I have a feeling as this doesn't seem likely to go away that easy, they may have gone too far this time imo.

• MH81 said thank you

#28 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 12:59 AM

If you read further on that page there is a link to some updates about this story, the boy is getting a lot of praise, and they are now going after the girl saying that she was faking it and threating her because people want the teacher removed.  They also say she was told by the nurse that it was a panic attack, and shortly after sent back to class with little to no medical attention.

It doesn't really matter what they officially called it. The girl was in trouble, the teacher did nothing constructive, and the boy did the right thing.

• Bmerf and adamjd200 have said thanks

#29 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 01:33 PM

It doesn't really matter what they officially called it. The girl was in trouble, the teacher did nothing constructive, and the boy did the right thing.

I agree 100%, just sickens me that they are going after both of them for their stupidity.

• oldedeeres said thank you