13 replies to this topic

#1 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 08:52 PM

I am in need of some new front tires for my HT20. The tractor is used mainly for clearing the driveway in the winter with the heavy 2 stage blower. In the spring and fall it is used to till our half acre garden. I am wondering if anyone has experience with these tires, specifically in the snow with a blower or blade. Also, any other suggested tires or sellers would be appreciated. I am looking to purchase from Miller tire at this time.

http://www.millertir...hd-5-rib-6-ply/

Edited by AA Hayes, January 24, 2016 - 08:53 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 991 Thanks
  • 674 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:05 PM

My only thought would be why you would need 6 ply tires, the added expense seems unnecessary for your needs. Unless you plan on mounting a loader I would say that would be overkill. If you are OK with the extra cost those tires would be just fine. Good luck and happy snow blowing!
  • WrenchinOnIt and chieffan have said thanks

#3 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:08 PM

My only thought with the 6 ply rather than 4 ply is that the blower weights 500lbs dry, than add snow building up on it during use. And that is hanging way out in front of the tires.
  • blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:33 PM

I'd say that the 6-plys are a wise choice.

I have them on two of my tractors.

One is the 1886 forklift and when it has 700+ lbs. on the mast, you want tires with a good load rating.

The other thing is that they have a wide footprint, which keeps them from sinking into the soft ground I have around hers.

The other tractor is the HDT1000 which I use for heavy pulling and plowing.  I'll also be using it with the Haban Flail-MO which is a danged heavy implement as well.

I have the fronts on the HDT1000 filled with Rim Guard as that help keep the front down when plowing.  It will al so help with steering when I have the Flail-Mo on it.

As an added bonus, they just LOOK good.  They compliment the square hood of the Bolens tractors, and give them a 'brawny' look  :D :D :D

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:44 PM

I am in need of some new front tires for my HT20. The tractor is used mainly for clearing the driveway in the winter with the heavy 2 stage blower. In the spring and fall it is used to till our half acre garden. I am wondering if anyone has experience with these tires, specifically in the snow with a blower or blade. Also, any other suggested tires or sellers would be appreciated. I am looking to purchase from Miller tire at this time. http://www.millertir...hd-5-rib-6-ply/

I don't think you can beat the Carlisle turf: http://www.summitrac...arts/crr-574365, I run these on any LF that has weight on the front (my loader tractors) I like them a lot. I pushed snow for a couple seasons with a 1886 with the old Goodyear similar to these http://www.ebay.com/...eoAAOSwZjJU9hIt
and when I switched over to a 23 with turf I noticed a considerable different on sideways slide, better traction you might say, the Carlisle turfs are available in a couple styles RS has a rounder shoulder, the CS more squared off. I believe available in 4,6, and 8 ply. Old Buzzard runs those V61 on some of his units ,he'll chime in I'm sure. For what your doing I like the turfs, but that's just my opinion.
  • blackjackjakexxix and AA Hayes have said thanks

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:48 PM

I had zero complaints about them on the Homelite T15 I had, other than they are hard to mount without proper tools, and you have to tube them.

post-8002-0-32125900-1364836567.jpg

• boyscout862 and AA Hayes have said thanks

#7 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:13 PM

I have to agree,with the weight of that 2 stage blower 6 ply would do the job
  • WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and AA Hayes have said thanks

#8 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 06:37 AM

I had zero complaints about them on the Homelite T15 I had, other than they are hard to mount without proper tools, and you have to tube them.

attachicon.gifpost-8002-0-32125900-1364836567.jpg

Did you find them to turn as well or better than turf tires on a packed snow?

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 07:14 AM

Did you find them to turn as well or better than turf tires on a packed snow?

I chained the turfs that were on it before the V61's due to being in poor condition. The chained up turfs were marginally better than the V61's. In my experience, 5 ribs kick the living crud out of turf tires for steering.

If I was looking to throw that monster two stage on the front of my Bolens, I would definitely go with the 6 ply V61's.
  • blackjackjakexxix and AA Hayes have said thanks

#10 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 08:50 AM

I have V61's on my 1254 and my Snapper LT12 and I love 'em. Good traction anywhere and they don't mark up turf that much. If it's wet then they will, but you'll also be putting ruts in the grass if you drive on it when wet.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and AA Hayes have said thanks

#11 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 09:20 AM

I will throw these into the mix.  Front ags, i mounted them this year.  So far a slightly below average maine winter and no complaints.  I pushed them as much as possible in a foot of mixed snow and they really dig in.  I think i am one size down from you.

http://www.summitrac...arts/crr-523311

They cost the same as the V61 and are 4-ply.  I run them backwards in winter, they work much better than the old worn out rib tires on my Case w/48" caster.  But my single stage Case probably weighs about half of the Bolens and i have a lot of weight on back so need the fronts to really dig in. 

I will say the Carlisles run a little small and have a tiny "made in China" molded into the bead where they would never be seen again.  I figure to swap the wheels around so the tread faces "frontwards" after winter so maybe they won't dig into the grass, will see, good luck with your search

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and AA Hayes have said thanks

#12 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 11:44 AM

It's amazing how much difference it makes running the ags backwards on the front in the snow,they dig in much better and turn a whole lot better (IMO)

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, January 25, 2016 - 11:44 AM.

• WrenchinOnIt, Oldford and AA Hayes have said thanks

#13 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 03:54 PM

I run the V61's on my diesel and love them

It's amazing how much difference it makes running the ags backwards on the front in the snow,they dig in much better and turn a whole lot better (IMO)

.Agreed.  For steering in snow, the reversed AG's are the best thing I've tried.  Beats my triribs, chained turfs and the V61's.

• WrenchinOnIt, Oldford and AA Hayes have said thanks

#14 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the input guys!

i do love the looks of ag's and turf tires as well, though I think these bar tires look nice and would be very practical for me. I feel the turf tires lack a bit of grip on the hard pack snow with the slope of my driveway. I also feel if I were to purchase ag's I would be wanting fronts and rears to match, and well running chains on ag's doesn't seem like it would work well for rears. Also my rear turf tires were brand new when I purchased the tractor last winter. From the looks of the bar tires they should grab the hard pack well with the weight of the tractor and blower while looking good and supporting the weight of the two stage well.
  • Oldford said thank you