#1 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Hi GTT, I thought posting this here would be better than the MF forum. Thought it would be a fun little bit of trivia.

I ran across these pics in a '70s NASCAR group on Facebook today. A pre-race activity that was probably a promotion for Massey Ferguson LGT's at Martinsville Speedway, September, 1972. In the pic with drivers getting on the tractors, Bobby Allison is far right in the white jacket. In that same pic I think Leonard Wood (Wood Brothers) is in the blue shirt on the far right. With discussion we were able to determine that is Bobby Allison coming to take the win way ahead of the others. He reportedly figured out how to reach around and pull the governor open to gain such a big lead!

Pics were posted by Douglas Dempsey, who said a guy named Scott with Richard Petty Racing actually was the photographer.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• MF lineup 1 1972.jpg
  • MF 1972 NASCAR 1.jpg
  • MFs 1972 1.jpg
  • Mf 1972 1.jpg

• DH1, Gtractor, MH81 and 13 others have said thanks

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 08:19 PM

Whats the track?

• chieffan said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 08:22 PM

SO COOL!! Please pass on :thank_you: to whoever shared those

• chieffan and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#4 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 08:36 PM

Whats the track?

As I posted above it's Martinsville, VA.

SO COOL!! Please pass on :thank_you: to whoever shared those

I will do that Alan, glad you like them!

DAC

• KennyP, chieffan and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#5 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 08:42 PM

As I posted above it's Martinsville, VA.

I will do that Alan, glad you like them!

DAC

Sorry I missed that.  The banking almost looks to much for Martinsville. 

• MFDAC and chieffan have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 08:46 PM

I imagine the lap times were a record... on the slow side that is! Nice pictures and a fun look back at another time.

• MFDAC, WNYTractorTinkerer and chieffan have said thanks

#7 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 08:57 PM

You are right Wilberj, that track did have more banking back in 1972, but since the turns are so sharp and the cars grip level grew the pavement wouldn't hold up to the pressures. That's why they flattened it and put the concrete inserts in the corners. It slowed corner speed so the track didn't disintegrate. It still does get damage occasionally.

DAC

• Bmerf said thank you

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:01 PM

Martinsville, like all the other tracks has been rebuilt a few times since the 70's.  That was over 40 years ago !  Very interesting photos.  Thanks for posting them.  Another month and it starts all over again.

Edited by chieffan, January 24, 2016 - 09:01 PM.

• MFDAC said thank you

#9 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:55 PM

Well Alan, I told him what you said and he sent me one more from 1972, this time USAC at the Milwaukee Mile. Bobby Unser's Ray Nichels prepared Plymouth Superbird being pushed to the grid by a Husky 1556 (I think that's what it says). For what it's worth I had a couple shots of Chivas Regal with Bobby one time around 1984 when his son Robby was living here and racing at our local dirt track. I lettered a trailer for Robby later, but not his car!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Bobby Unser Husky Milwaukee 1972.jpg

• wilberj, KennyP, Bud W and 3 others have said thanks

#10 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:03 PM

Well Alan, I told him what you said and he sent me one more from 1972, this time USAC at the Milwaukee Mile. Bobby Unser's Ray Nichels prepared Plymouth Superbird being pushed to the grid by a Husky 1556 (I think that's what it says). For what it's worth I had a couple shots of Chivas Regal with Bobby one time around 1984 when his son Robby was living here and racing at our local dirt track. I lettered a trailer for Robby later, but not his car!

DAC

Awesome!  That is a 1972 bolens 1556. I have some ASA stuff with Bolens in them.   Maybe he has more?

http://gardentractor...ing#entry618657

• MFDAC said thank you

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:47 PM

That just proves that if you get a bunch of competitive guys together, they will race anything!

• KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#12 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 12:48 AM

That just proves that if you get a bunch of competitive guys together, they will race anything!

And, if they happen to be NASCAR guys, at least one of them will figure out how to cheat :bigrofl:

• wvbuzzmaster, KennyP, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#13 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 06:53 AM

IMG_1304.JPG IMG_1305.JPG M-F was not the only tractor manufacturer with that idea , Wheel horse would provide " 33 tractors" at the Indianapolis speedway each year racing them, the event became known as the Indy 2 1/2 mi , Mr. Pond recalls some of the engines screaming at over 6000 rpm records were broken each year by a few seconds it was very popular. It was advertising genius , the little tractors were very popular in the pits at Indy. Story and pictures taken from my signed by Cecil Pond and family copy of straight from the horse's mouth before his passing. Back in the muscle car era the old adage was race them on Sunday sell them on Monday  I think Mr. Pond was watching.IMG_1301.JPG IMG_1302.JPG IMG_1303.JPG

• KennyP, MFDAC and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 10:45 AM

Yes Smokey Yunick wrote in his book many of the ways he had used to get a competitive edge.

And singer Marty Robbins once beat the greats in a race by several laps, then admitted to honeing the restrictor inserts in his intake and reinstalling them with epoxy that would melt letting the restrictor drop into the manifold.

Is it cheating when everyone is doing it? That is a question coming up in every competitive sport.

• MFDAC and HANKG have said thanks

#15 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 03:30 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_1304.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1305.JPGM-F was not the only tractor manufacturer with that idea , Wheel horse would provide " 33 tractors" at the Indianapolis speedway each year racing them, the event became known as the Indy 2 1/2 mi , Mr. Pond recalls some of the engines screaming at over 6000 rpm records were broken each year by a few seconds it was very popular. It was advertising genius , the little tractors were very popular in the pits at Indy. Story and pictures taken from my signed by Cecil Pond and family copy of straight from the horse's mouth before his passing. Back in the muscle car era the old adage was race them on Sunday sell them on Monday  I think Mr. Pond was watching.attachicon.gifIMG_1301.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1302.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1303.JPG

Those are great pics and story Hank! I bet a lot of WH's were sold after the Indy festivities! I assume Mr. Pond must have been the WH CEO? Thanks for adding them.

Yes Smokey Yunick wrote in his book many of the ways he had used to get a competitive edge.

And singer Marty Robbins once beat the greats in a race by several laps, then admitted to honeing the restrictor inserts in his intake and reinstalling them with epoxy that would melt letting the restrictor drop into the manifold.

Is it cheating when everyone is doing it? That is a question coming up in every competitive sport.

I got to go to the "Best Damn Garage In Town" in 2003 after Smokey's death. The shop was closed but around the side his daughter was still operating his exotic bird shop and there was a corner dedicated to Smokey. Bought a couple things and had big old birds stroll up and check me out! His daughter said that he didn't want no "G*****n museum" built there in his honor. The place was soon sold and demolished and she moved the bird shop out to the highway on the beach.

Marty fessed up to his crime before they could find out he cheated saying "I just wanted to pass Richard Petty once in my life!".

Thanks for all the input folks!

DAC

• KennyP and HANKG have said thanks