• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 11:44 AM

This is one of the latest additions, nice original shape.

Did the usual to set it up for reliable service, clean gas tank, new fuel valve, new fuel line, rebuilt carb, head gasket, points, lapped valves, also changed one valve guide.

I ended up with a clean looking and original low hours 850 that purrs like a kitten. Fitted the plow, weights and chains to it for pushing snow this winter.

Ran well the first time out except for the carb which seeps lightly so I just shut off the fuel valve. Second time out it started hicking up and misfiring slightly, it stalled on me twice and it was hard to restart, would only run on choke the second time it restarted and ran really rich. At this point I figured I should head back to the garage as I didn't feel she would start again third time around and I should been in deep sh*t if I ended up having to push it back 100ft up a slope, she died again and I ended up pushing for 20 minutes. Has anyone ever had to push one of these with snow on the ground? Painful!

I figured something went wrong with the carb so without hesitation I pulled the one off my 800 and installed it but it still would not start with a known good carb. Next I checked for spark, I noticed I only had spark every 2-4 revolutions so I opened up the points cover and visually could see the adjustment was out of whack, the points had come loose somehow. Fixed it up and she fired right up.

I then noticed that the carb from my 800 was also seeping fuel from the overflow, this is strange since it did not when installed on the 800. I decided to take apart the original carb which was now removed to check the fuel bowl float adjustment, it was spot on. I thought maybe I should very slightly LOWER the fuel bowl level by stretching out the needle spring, I ended up with a as expected float level very slightly lower than the factory spec. I figured the extra pressure on the needle may resolve my overflow issue. Started her right up, I had to make some adjustments to the main jet (not surprisingly) to make her run more rich in order to compensate for the lower fuel bowl level. Well she ran well but ran way too lean, at partial throttle I actually got the muffler glowing red in less than a minute. I immediately stopped and declared this a failed experiment. And to top it all off the carb still seeped!

Took the carb back apart and readjusted the fuel bowl level to factory spec, she runs perfect other than a seeping carb which bugs the hell out of me. Topped up the gas tank and declared her ready to work on the next snow fall.

So a few days later we get some snow, I start her up and after 2 minutes of running she starts misfiring again, I quickly manage to keep her running on full choke and back her up into the garage, the smoke was unreal - thick black smoke like I had never seen before, I mean the garage was so thick with black smoke that it impaired visibility. I was so frustrated I decided to instead focus on putting back the 1000 together. After a couple of hours of working on the 1000 I could not get the 850 out of my head - I thought that maybe I blew a whole in the piston from running it too lean the last time. So I go back to the 850, timing is good, fuel is getting to the carb but now it is seeping like mad! It just drips every couple of seconds. Alright, definitely carb issue this time so I install the 800 carb back on, still won't start.... Uh?! So i decide to take the original carb apart (again) and investigate, maybe the main jet unscrewed itself of something else bizarre and unexpected but no, everything if perfect, I clean the jets and blow air through the passages ... Install carb but still no go, not even close. I had also already checked the valve operation and the valves were good and not sticking.

Out of disbelief I get back to the 1000 and finish cleaning out the transmission using diesel and a garden sprayer, I ran out of diesel so I went to my fuel tanks, i don't normally have diesel around and only purchased some for this project, i have 3 red fuel tanks so i need to smell them to determine which one is the diesel, it just so happens that the diesel tank was sitting next to the 850...

850 is running perfect once again...
  • Bolens 1000, Gtractor, MH81 and 17 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,617 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 12:04 PM

Maybe this should be moved to the "diesel" forum.   :poke:

Glad you figured it out.  Might wanna write with a permanent marker whats in the "gas" cans. 

• KennyP, boyscout862, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 12:16 PM

Saw that when I worked in a mower repair shop. Customers would come in complaining that their new machine is bad. It would end up kero or diesel was in the tank. Good Luck, Rick

• chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,494 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 12:26 PM

Red is for gas.  BLUE is for Kerosene.  Green is for diesel.  Never mix and match unless your only getting one can and empty it completely right away.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 12:28 PM

Now that was a bad day for sure

#6 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 12:41 PM

That's my first chuckle of the day,  glad you figured it out.  lol

#7 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 01:18 PM

Hmmmm....my diesel cans are yellow. But no confusion. I still have a blue kerosene can but it ain't had any fuel in it for years.
  • boyscout862 and adamjd200 have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 01:31 PM

Yes I have red for gas and yellow for diesel.  A few months ago my diesel can went missing with about 2 gal of fuel in it.

I hope it caused the thief all kinds of grief.

Had to go buy a new one.

• boyscout862 and BNK have said thanks

#9 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 02:01 PM

Red is for gas.  BLUE is for Kerosene.  Green is for diesel.  Never mix and match unless your only getting one can and empty it completely right away.

That's really interesting as in the UK, Black is diesel, Red is leaded petrol and Green is unleaded. I have not seen a blue though. A white/see through one is 50:1 petrol with oil.
  • KennyP and BNK have said thanks

#10 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 07:39 AM

Here in Canada I have never seen green, but yellow for diesel and blue for kerosene.

Either way I won't be buying different colored fuel tanks since I only use gas other than by exception such as this case, but I will ensure I use the whole in line go from now on.

I must have forgot I bought diesel, just grabbed a tank and fueled the 850.
  • BNK said thank you

#11 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 08:27 AM

Glad no damage. Could have been bad...

I have always had red, yellow, and blue here on the farm. Wife didn't come with any "mechanical" know-how and as the kids came along needed to make sure the kids growing up learned the difference too.

More recently I've put Diesel stickers on the Ventrac and Kubota by the fill necks, just as an extra reminder because those are both similar in size to the Cubs around here. The "big/farm" tractors are all diesel so no real worries there, I'm always around when they are getting fueled.

• BNK said thank you

#12 gardentractornut ONLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 09:09 AM

Glad she wasn't hurt! I had to laugh a bit right at the end as this happened to me too, but with kerosene, and the machine wasn't mine :D

I wish I was using an 850, the tank in that is a lot easier to drain than a JD x320! I then got to experience siphoning, and the weird taste of kerosene  :bigrofl:

• adamjd200 said thank you

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 05:51 PM

Glad you figured it out.
Exactly how did you phrase the apology?

#14 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 08:10 PM

I purged the tank and filled it with fresh GASOLINE, 94 octane too.

I'm still embarrassed so conversation is still tense at the moment.
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#15 gardentractornut ONLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Glad you figured it out.
Exactly how did you phrase the apology?

Because I thought it smelled a bit more like diesel, but it had been a while since I had filled something up with gas so I wasn't sure, this is what I asked. I also knew that he didn't have anything diesel on his property.

Me: "You don't happen have any diesel fuel in those cans in the garage, do you?"

Him: "Nope, why?"

Me: "oh good! For a minute I thought that blue can had diesel in it!"

Him: "Yeeah that was kerosene"

Me: .......  "crap" ........

• MH81 said thank you