18 replies to this topic

#1 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 943 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:09 AM

With the way gas lasts now is crazy. But I have found a way that last . I work for a race car shop full time, but my part time job is getting cars up and running for the Collings Foundation where they have a wide collection of cars planes and tanks. Over the years I have gotten a lot of cars up and running for them . One in fact was a car owned by Al Capone. Last time it ran was 1978. In 2011 I was asked if I could get it running, after Rebuilding the frozen water pumps and starter and a few tricks. I got it running. Well we use the car for about an hour 2 times a year. All of the cars that I get running I have been using avgas it has a 7 year life span. I have tried all different additives and nothing lasts. I also put in a like mystery oil to loosen things up.

www.collingsfoundation.org

• Gtractor, KennyP, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 11:34 AM

I thought that AVGAS was hazardous to car engines. A friend put AVGAS in a jeep and the engine blew. I was warned against it too when I had a jeep. Sounds like really cool jobs that you have. Good Luck, Rick
  • Chris11 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 12:30 PM

Ad Sta-bail and keep the gas in a tightly closed container under cover and it will keep a long time.  6 month anyway.

• Chris11 said thank you

#4 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• 1,626 Thanks
  • 943 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 01:07 PM

I thought that AVGAS was hazardous to car engines. A friend put AVGAS in a jeep and the engine blew. I was warned against it too when I had a jeep. Sounds like really cool jobs that you have. Good Luck, Rick

It is leaded It burns slower. Not good for newer cars with o2 sensors

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 06:53 PM

I love watching these post apocalypse shows where cars have been sitting for a couple of years and the gas is still good. I just laugh every time the siphon some out of an abandoned vehicle. 

Somehow the batteries stay charged too.

• MH81, Chris11 and LilysDad have said thanks

#6 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• 1,626 Thanks
  • 943 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Ya I see that to. Every time I start working on one the first thing I do is pull the plugs oil the cylinders put them in 3rd gear and rock them back and forth. Make sure there not stuck. Then make sure theres oil in it. Pull fuel line off and drain them. Hook up a battery to see if the crank over. I turn them over till I have oil presser Then check for spark. If I have all that I put up a iv bottle of fuel to see if they kick. Every car I have worked on there the fuel tanks are full of varnish. carbs too. rust and dirt. I really enjoy getting them started after 35 years.

• MH81 said thank you

#7 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 10:48 PM

I avoid ethanol like the plague. Seems to have a short shelf life. I also drain any carb that is not going to be used for a few months, its worth the little time it takes to avoid trying to start a generator thats been sitting for 2 years full of fuel on a cold dark night only to find a thick film of yellowy scum plugging up the fuel system.

• Chris11 said thank you

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 840 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 08:35 AM

Here in the states it's getting hard to find gasoline without ethanol blended in.

Occasionally I'll get a motorcycle in my shop that has been sitting since before they started putting ethanol in the fuel.  Generally those carburetors will be in better shape than something that sat for a few months with "modern" fuel in it.  Also, the fuel tank isn't all rusty like one that sat with gasohol in it.

Every engine I have gets sta-bil treated fuel if it's going to sit for more than a couple weeks and I keep the tanks full to cut down on condensation.  My occasional use stuff (snowblower, chain saw, generator) only get treated fuel.

• Chris11 said thank you

#9 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• 1,626 Thanks
  • 943 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 11:04 AM

Haven't had much luck with the sta bil  maybe oh for a few months but not a year.

#10 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 04:33 PM

I switched to premium gas in all of my small engines years ago.  I haven't had any gas go bad on me yet.  I don't think there is any scientific documentation to back it up.  It just seems to store better.  I also switched to Pri-G from Sta-Bil a few years ago.  I've been very happy with it as well.  I use it in every can of gas when winter starts approaching.  I'll run plain gas through the summer months when I know I'll be using it up quickly.  Pri-G also claims to freshen up bad gas.  I don't know how "bad" the gas can get before it's gone too far.  I've used it for that before, and it seemed to help.  I did burn all of the bad gas.

http://www.amazon.co...6/dp/B0000AXY97

• Chris11 and Eric have said thanks

#11 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 04:47 PM

I put premium in the Hemorrhoid and it blew the head gaskets. Although that just may be that stupid tractor.

• limebuzz and Chris11 have said thanks

#12 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 05:17 PM

I put premium in the Hemorrhoid and it blew the head gaskets. Although that just may be that stupid tractor.

I would say it was the tractor.  It sounds like it's a PITA!  (Pun intended!) :D

The fuel grades are basically the fuel's resistance to causing pre-ignition or knocking.  It's used mainly on high compression or boosted engines.  Higher grade fuel doesn't necessarily burn hotter or give you more power.  Although, I believe the small engines I've ran it in appear to run better.??  I mainly use it because I've never had it go bad on me since I've switched.

Edited by Billy M, January 26, 2016 - 05:19 PM.

• Chris11 said thank you

#13 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 09:57 PM

I would say it was the tractor.  It sounds like it's a PITA!  (Pun intended!) :D

The Hemorrhoid kept backfiring terribly with high test.  Even after I replaced the head gasket it did it. Went back to 87 and all was well.  

#14 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 10:16 PM

I have at least 4 gas stations near me that have non-ethanol, but only in high test, I use this in everything but the truck, rarely have problems. 

• Chris11 said thank you

#15 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • Member No: 61764
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 10:03 PM

With the way gas lasts now is crazy. But I have found a way that last . I work for a race car shop full time, but my part time job is getting cars up and running for the Collings Foundation where they have a wide collection of cars planes and tanks. Over the years I have gotten a lot of cars up and running for them . One in fact was a car owned by Al Capone. Last time it ran was 1978. In 2011 I was asked if I could get it running, after Rebuilding the frozen water pumps and starter and a few tricks. I got it running. Well we use the car for about an hour 2 times a year. All of the cars that I get running I have been using avgas it has a 7 year life span. I have tried all different additives and nothing lasts. I also put in a like mystery oil to loosen things up.

www.collingsfoundation.org

is that Al Capone's V16 Cadilac you are referring to?
  • MH81 and Chris11 have said thanks