• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 10:52 PM

In the early 90's dad purchased a Howard mower ( similar to a Yazoo) mainly for the 16 hp Kohler K series engine that was rebuilt, hydro refurbished and then mower was taken out of service not long after.yazoo1.jpg

The 16 hp Kohler was for the tractor he made in 1985.DSCN2341.JPG I used the mower for the summer cutting grass then removed engine so it can be mounted on the Golden Stallion ( That's what he named the tractor due to horses on the fuel tank.)DSCN2486.JPG

to plow the driveway. Tractor had a Briggs ZZ on it before the Kohler. Jumped approximately 8 to 10 hp :) Made big difference in plowing snow.

The next summer dad got thinking of the old mower frame and had me cut it up and scrap most of it. Kept the Sunstrand hydro unit and steering assembly.

The main frame is made out of 3 inch steel channel and 1/4 x 2 steel angle iron. A old air operated shop lift was found in a scrap yard, the mast wasn't what he wanted so just used the carriage and forks from the lift and scrapped the rest. Note we are very paticular in what we send to the scrap yard

DSCN2482.JPG

The front axle and hydro unit were installed on the front and rear steer just like the howard. Hydro drive unit is factory belt driven off a 12 h.p. cast iron Tecumseh engine. The lift pump is mounted on rear of engine and driven by a lovejoy coupling off the crankshaft.

The mast is constructed out of 2 pcs of 1/4 x 2 steel angle iron due to that channel has tappered sides and need straight sides for the carriage to travel properly. 3 foot cylinder equals 6 foot lift, 1000 lbs capacity

DSCN2479.JPG

DSCN2480.JPG

A foot peddle was made to control direction of travel.

DSCN2481.JPG

The tilt is operated by the handel on the left that connects to a valvebody beside the hydro unit

DSCN2484.JPG

The lift is controled by a valvle body that is mounted just infront of the operators seat.

DSCN2487.JPG

The front tires are old military surplus and still the orginal rear tire from the Howard on the rear.

Fenders are generic.

DSCN2483.JPG

The reason the forklft was buit is that dad's hobby is old gas, steam and stirling cycle engines. I also collect them and get to store them with his collection. I live about a 15 – 20 min drive away and can usually be found there on weekends tinkering. I have my good Massey with 3pt hitch there and the other here in town to snowblow the driveway.

When you get into hit and miss engines a little 1 1/2 hp engine weighs around 150 to 200 lbs when restored and mounted for display. The biggest engine he has is 3 1/2 hp and weighs in around 750 to 900 lbs.

Oct.2011%20020.jpg

I can not move that engine too far or lift it since the operator is also part of the counterbalance ( i'm 150lbs ) (dad dosent have that issue since he is bigger than i about 220 lbs) which helps that it is almost impossible to overload the forks.

Here is a action pic Massey 4b.JPG  

Any questions please ask

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2488.JPG

• DH1, Gtractor, OldBuzzard and 17 others have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 11:18 PM

I like it, useful as heck.
  • James Bosma said thank you

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 11:27 PM

:smilewink: I like it, useful as heck.

Casey, if you come across a heck, How does one find its usefulness? I forget my heck all the time. :smilewink:  :poke: And Jim, that is a very useful machine. Have you fellas ever made it to Coolspring Engine Show? Lots of Hit and Miss there. Shawn

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 02:04 AM

Casey, if you come across a heck, How does one find its usefulness? I forget my heck all the time. :smilewink: :poke:

Shawn, a heck is an elusive creature found in the remote mountains of Appalacia. The heck has tremendous strength and is solely responsible for creating the Appalacian mountains by pounding large trees into the earth until the ground broke apart forming a "fault line" that he then used to pull the mountains up into the sky, eliminating the once flat land, and forming his home. His cave is only accessible from the peaks of the mountain range to keep annoying life forms from trespassing in his home, and off his roof. Finding the heck on the Appalacian mountains is so difficult that no man has been known to find the heck, and are smart not to look. Legend has it that the heck has dug out all under the US and Canada and is responsible for the earthquakes in California, because his underground stash of precious gold has been disturbed. He doesn't care about the coal mining, happy to get rid of the dirty stuff, but really wants his gold back.

You are quite welcome Shawn. :D

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, January 24, 2016 - 02:04 AM.

• MH81, KennyP, tractorgarden and 8 others have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 05:51 AM

That's pretty cool! Looks like it has an Eaton unit on the drive axle? How about a side pic or two of the unit, please? You guys did a great job of building it!

• tractorgarden and James Bosma have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 07:35 AM

That mower certainly looks to have been well made. It looks like a Dana rear end on the output of the hydro.  It would be hard to give up a unit like that once you got used to having it around. 

#7 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Battery died in camera yesterday

will take more pics today of the hydro unit and get more info on the axle

The orginal frame was rusted real bad so it wouldn't have lasted long so this was next best thing for the old mower

• KennyP said thank you

#8 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 08:11 AM

Casey, if you come across a heck, How does one find its usefulness? I forget my heck all the time. :smilewink:  :poke: And Jim, that is a very useful machine. Have you fellas ever made it to Coolspring Engine Show? Lots of Hit and Miss there. Shawn

No we haven't made it to Coolsprings yet  hope to get there sometime as we have heard all about it and sounds like it would be a enjoyable weekend

Also a member on Smokstak which is a fourm for the old engines.

• tractorgarden said thank you

#9 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 06:50 PM

That mower certainly looks to have been well made. It looks like a Dana rear end on the output of the hydro.  It would be hard to give up a unit like that once you got used to having it around. 

The only parts of the mower is the round tube frame that contains the stearing assembly and the Dana rear end with a Sundstrand U series hydro. Basically the same hydro unit in the Massey 14's etc but U seires instead of in line.

The original engine was a 2 cylinder opposed 18hp Briggs. Sure was fun doing circles lol  it will leave about a 2 foot circle so fairly tight turning radius.

The hydro unit is actually being driven on the fan side of the unit due to engine location. So no cooling fan but doesn't really hurt it since it is used in short bursts. I can only remember once when it was used for more than a 20 min period

More pictures showing the rear end, hydro unit, lift pump, and travel control set up to automatically go to neutral when foot is taken off pedal.

The hose and valve that are running along the inside of the frame are off the charge pump for lowering and raising the mower deck. Those are the original hoses off the Howard. I just attached them to that valve when I removed the axle from the mower frame so no dirt would get in and nothing more was ever done with it

Any more questions I'm glad to answer

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2489.JPG
  • DSCN2490.JPG
  • DSCN2492.JPG
  • DSCN2493.JPG
  • DSCN2495.JPG
  • DSCN2496.JPG
  • DSCN2497.JPG
  • DSCN2498.JPG

Edited by James Bosma, January 24, 2016 - 07:19 PM.

• DH1, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 08:30 PM

Very cool James! I have been thinking about building a simple hydraulic tilt mast with a 12 volt winch through a snatch block for lift as an attachment on my MF8E. Only would lift about 200 lbs as a plan now so I can get some stuff into the back of a pickup when needed.

These ideas have got me thinking bigger now. Maybe I should start with the mini-van engine and trans-axle assembly in the back yard---LOL!

DAC

• Alc and James Bosma have said thanks

#11 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:01 PM

It is very handy for lifting things into the back of a pick-up truck

Even makes a good push mower lift  just raise it up to the right height and no sore back

Made a 3 sided box pallet for moving leaves and other junk

Even use it to pack the motor home  just load a pallet and drive to it 

Have found it to be too handy at times

It fits into a 1/2 ton with 6 foot box nicely  just back it on and forks hang over tailgate

Edited by James Bosma, January 24, 2016 - 09:02 PM.

• Alc, KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:30 PM

I have a picture of a Howard mower taken at a steam show a few years ago. One of my friends snapped it.

#13 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 05:24 AM

I do not have a picture of the old Howard, got to love the days before digital cameras

Is the picture of a 3 wheeled one   lets see it

#14 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 05:26 AM

Very cool and neat.

#15 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 05:48 AM

I believe heck is found in abundance in females.  It must be because my wife gives me heck on a daily basis.

I love this little machine.  I can't even begin to fathom how useful it would be.  Great job!

• wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and James Bosma have said thanks