jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 922 Thanks
  • 1,215 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 09:42 AM

What a storm we got about 2 inches of snow in north Alabama just unreal. I will just stay inside until it melts tomorrow. Sunshine now maybe some will melt today.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 09:51 AM

Morning guys. Our forecast keeps changing but currently we are only getting a few inches of snow tonight and tomorrow morning with high winds and some blowing snow. I hope everyone stays safe and warm through this storm. 

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,494 Thanks
  • 3,385 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 10:20 AM

The wind is howling being sung by a wicked witch riding a Nor'easter , white out conditions are present with gusts of 60 mph and a flood tide looming. The coast of NJ is being battered severely with this storm, surprised  we still have power reminds me of hurricane Sandy, I'm sure the beach erosion will be substantial.

As my buddies in Wanchese would say, watch out for the hoi toid!
  • KennyP and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#19 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 10:21 AM

came back in we up to at least a foot now. got the carport roof cleared off and then got distracted by playing football in the blizzard with my boys
  • KennyP, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#20 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 10:32 AM

(80-90 is WAY to thick in the rear end for winter use)

The old Case GT manuals spec'd either 80/90 or else their standard hydro oil 20/40 (nowdays 15/40) in the rear end for winter service.  Being in maine i learned a few years ago my old case tractors get moving quicker in winter with 15/40 in the rear end, and no extra leakage in summer, maybe yours could use that too, good luck

• boyscout862 said thank you

#21 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 517 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 10:46 AM

I hope you all stay safe ... I happen to live in one of the 'snowband' area's of Michigan

We get this kind of snow every year almost and you hardly ever see it on the news.

Just hunker down and wait it out.

10911414_10152963792595540_781314025884794939_o.jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#22 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 11:18 AM

it snows in nj every year too.

point is the stupid weather channel blows it way overboard by naming the storm and creating panic so everyone runs to buy eggs bread and milk. hope everyone enjoyed there french toast this morning

Edited by jabelman, January 23, 2016 - 11:18 AM.

• Gtractor, jms180, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#23 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 517 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 11:32 AM

I agree that they have gone way overboard with their coverage . Running around sticking rulers in the drifts , " If you look up , You can see the snow falling in a downward direction ! The wind even carries it sideways at times , Back to you - Mike"

• MH81, Alc, jms180 and 2 others have said thanks

#24 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,784 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 11:43 AM

Rick, how about that beautiful MTD with the blower???

I don't want to take her out in this nasty weather. She is in the  "cover it" garage, out of the weather. If I have to, I'll get her out and put the blower on her but, I'd don't think that I have the heart. The attachments on that MTD are PTO shaft driven like Bolens, and easy to change. I was looking at my collection of blower attachments. 3 Bolens, 4 AC/Simplicity, 1 Case, and 1 MTD.  Have you got a blower for your 1050?

If things get bad, I've got the Ford 2000 with FEL working again and ready. I started snowing lightly here at 1100 but is still light.

• Oldford said thank you

#25 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 12:48 PM

So far, I've been better off staying in Illinois this year instead of going to Virginia.

#26 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 01:08 PM

While we did have a big snowfall for our area, the weather people did go extremely overboard, and always do.  All people have to do is sit tight a day or so and all starts returning to normal fast.  Our snow ended yesterday, and our roads are open & blacktop already showing 90%.  I've opened the farm drives, and feeding chores near normal, and will be totally normal come Monday.  I gotta say it was nice feeding today without snow hitting my eyeballs at warp speed!

• MH81, KennyP, tractorgarden and 3 others have said thanks

#27 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 01:11 PM

The 80-90 is what every farm tractor in this neck of the woods had on I foreverI've plowed three years and snowblown two with it in the geared units.I understand being cautious, but i wouldn't be afraid to use it, even into single digits or lower.

Been using my Farmall Cub with a 6 volt system, 80w90 in transmission, and Sae 30 in the engine. So far going well, only fighting with the aging battery in the cold, throwing off my great starting tractor. (starter can rob all the electrical power from ignition and flood the engine easily). First start of the day gets the mr heater, after that a blanket over the hood and a towel over the seat, and that is working well. So far we have had over a foot (15 inches so far) of this fluffy stuff and no wind. I don't see much end to this crap either.
  • MH81, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#28 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 04:17 PM

Good grief I hope it stops snowing soon.Running out of places to put it. :rolling: Stuff that's coming down now is pretty wet.Some of what we got melted and made the rest pretty sticky.Blower clogged up a few times but she worked Awesome.Payed $30 for it and put 2 $10 tubes in it and $5 fuel line,a good carb cleaning and some leftover Farmall Red paint I had in the shed.It had a bunch of rust and peeling paint on it when I got it.

I actually think it's melting almost as fast as it's falling now. :dancingbanana:

Couple Pics: my cheap blower and check out the old SS14 doesn't she look cold?poor thing lol

Snow was maybe 4 inches taller than the blower.Made for slow moving and alot of backing up.This is my 1st real Blower.I've had a couple small ones but I usually just shoveled.Really glad I lucked into it.

100_1576.JPG   100_1577.JPG

Front of the house (we're tight against the road in front and the neighbors Giant fence next to the parking place) and the path to my little shed.Forgot to bring the gas down so I had to make a path.Sure beats shoveling.

100_1575.JPG 100_1578.JPG

I really hate being stuck indoors.Was out playing around for a good 3 hours before I realized I was soaking wet.We haven't had snow like this in what 5 years? It's supposed to keep snowing till after midnight.

Wow New York,New Jersey,Delaware and Virginia coast are really really getting hammered.Hope everyone stays safe. 

Edited by EricFromPa, January 23, 2016 - 04:26 PM.

#29 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 04:30 PM

I hope you all stay safe ... I happen to live in one of the 'snowband' area's of Michigan

We get this kind of snow every year almost and you hardly ever see it on the news.

Just hunker down and wait it out.

attachicon.gif10911414_10152963792595540_781314025884794939_o.jpg

Me too. This year hasnt been so bad.

it snows in nj every year too.

point is the stupid weather channel blows it way overboard by naming the storm and creating panic so everyone runs to buy eggs bread and milk. hope everyone enjoyed there french toast this morning

The naming winter storms thing is pretty dumb.

#30 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 04:43 PM

Watching Weather Channel and that is all that is on it.  Odd to have Big water and rain at Shores in winter???  Rain like heck there and Snow like heck just in a ways on land.  They say shore IS wearing away towards some houses there. I never understood why  people want places right on shores and houses fall into water and such.  Do insurance company's really cover those homes, or do they just take the risk and lose the property?   People sledding down the big steps in PA, like it was only hill around I guess, heh!  Lots of parked buried cars in lots and some trying to move, but no go. Why they try? 

One more thing....here in NE Indiana is nice and Sunny, in 30's and going to be that and 40's all week! 47 next Saturday!  Will get a little rain Monday with the warm-up, but not much.  Just a Teaser!