57 replies to this topic

#1 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,872 Thanks
  • 2,790 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 06:38 AM

The wind is howling being sung by a wicked witch riding a Nor'easter , white out conditions are present with gusts of 60 mph and a flood tide looming. The coast of NJ is being battered severely with this storm, surprised  we still have power reminds me of hurricane Sandy, I'm sure the beach erosion will be substantial.

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 11 others have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 06:47 AM

Hank up here in western NJ there's no snow at all ,,, ok that's bs    it's coming down like crazy . Hope you at the shore don't get the high water again ,

• KennyP, boyscout862, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#3 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 06:52 AM

Stay Safe !!

• boyscout862, HANKG and chieffan have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 06:56 AM

High tide and strong wind is not going to be fun at all, then you throw in the snow! UGH! Hope you're on hig ground there, Hank!

• boyscout862, HANKG and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,145 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:28 AM

I feel for all you guy and gals along the east coast.  Have relatives in Maryland, Upper Marlboro area.  Just pray your power stay on as you can usually find a way through as long as you have power.

• boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,262 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:30 AM

Hope you guys all ride this out ok.
Don't forget to check on aging neighbors.
  • boyscout862, HANKG, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:42 AM

Had the little mutts out at 6am had to dig them a path up though the yard.Just looked out and my path is blown back shut all ready.

Took the old Yard stick and poked it in the middle of the yard.23 inches of snow so far in south central PA.Still coming down.We had some wind last night but it's pretty calm now.Watched the news last night and they said 12-18 inches expected.lol

This dry snow drifts really bad even with 10-20mph winds can't imaging what 60mph wind would do.Keep safe and keep Warm everyone.Looking at the Temperatures across the map that's some crazy stuff.12f some places and 40f other places.It's 18f here.

Here have a look out my window YUK

100_1574.JPG

Hey good thing I changed the oil in the $30 8hp 27" blower yesterday.I had some cheap 30wt in it and it would Not crank over.I pulled the dipstick and it had gelled up.I had to put the hair drier on it for almost an hour before it would crank over enough to start and let it warm up.The old Sears SS14 isn't gona get used.:(80-90 is WAY to thick in the rear end for winter use)

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#8 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:45 AM

My old thermometer needs to be brung in and thawed out again.It gets stuck when the temps go down.It freezes up quite often.It's an old Glass domed,metal thermometer that I found in paps old barn years ago.That might be the reason he put it in the old barn  :wallbanging: 

Edited by EricFromPa, January 23, 2016 - 07:54 AM.

• Alc, KennyP, Delmar and 2 others have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:48 AM

It hasn't started here in N.E.C.T. yet but each forecast increases the amount we are going to get. Stockpiled wood and cooked food yesterday. Need to switch gastanks on the primary generator. This will be its 4th tank in 30 years. 8hp Briggs came with a plastic tank that cracked after only a few years. Since then 2 steel tanks have delaminated at the bottom reinforcement. Its cheaper to pick up dead generators for $25 than to buy a new tank each time.

I keep an eye on the neighbor, she turned 100 last December. She is a great lady so I do what I can when her family isn't able. There are plenty of her family around but many of them are having severe health problems.

I brought the 66 B10 in to service and replace a tire. It is the primary plowing tractor. I also brought the Case 222 in for repairs, the new parts came from Joe's Power yesterday. I'll also service her and put on chains and Bolens wheelweights. When done, she will get a plow or a blower. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 23, 2016 - 08:15 AM.

• Alc, KennyP, oldedeeres and 4 others have said thanks

#10 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:48 AM

Stay safe down there.

We are on the northern edge and are supposed to get 3-8" total  Boyscout may get more in the eastern part of CT. Right now just the wind howling here, not expected to settle in till late morning early afternoon. 

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:49 AM

Rick, how about that beautiful MTD with the blower???

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 08:17 AM

we are getting it good now. already about 8" on the ground. been hearing we are supposed to get about 20". hey it's a Saturday let it snow!. going to make some chilli and corn bread. then go attack the snow with the panzer
  • KennyP, Delmar, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 08:51 AM

Be safe & warm all you in it's path.  I begin digging out today.

• KennyP, boyscout862, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,145 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 09:11 AM

Had the little mutts out at 6am had to dig them a path up though the yard.Just looked out and my path is blown back shut all ready.

Took the old Yard stick and poked it in the middle of the yard.23 inches of snow so far in south central PA.Still coming down.We had some wind last night but it's pretty calm now.Watched the news last night and they said 12-18 inches expected.lol

This dry snow drifts really bad even with 10-20mph winds can't imaging what 60mph wind would do.Keep safe and keep Warm everyone.Looking at the Temperatures across the map that's some crazy stuff.12f some places and 40f other places.It's 18f here.

Here have a look out my window YUK

attachicon.gif100_1574.JPG

Hey good thing I changed the oil in the $30 8hp 27" blower yesterday.I had some cheap 30wt in it and it would Not crank over.I pulled the dipstick and it had gelled up.I had to put the hair drier on it for almost an hour before it would crank over enough to start and let it warm up.The old Sears SS14 isn't gona get used.:(80-90 is WAY to thick in the rear end for winter use)

I run 10-W40 or 10-W30 year around in my tractors.  The gear oil gets about a 20% cut with diesel fuel for the winter then fresh back in next spring.  I also wire the clutch down on my gear drive tractor till the engine warms up good.  The let it sit and warm the rear end up.  Hydro get the heater pointed right at the rear end for a good 20 min before I try to start it.

• boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,262 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 09:41 AM

The 80-90 is what every farm tractor in this neck of the woods had on I forever
I've plowed three years and snowblown two with it in the geared units.

I understand being cautious, but i wouldn't be afraid to use it, even into single digits or lower.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you