• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • Member No: 57907
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 02:44 PM

ive ben restoring and   tinkering around with a 74 jim dandy on and off about 2years now. discoverd whythe tranz leakd out the front. the lower case gears shaft was never installed all the way thru the box. leaving a small amount of room for oil to  leak out. with the rod all the way in the gear wouldnt turn free. so sombody left it loose. im sure the bering inside the gear got dinged up.going to find my old man glasses this afternoon and get a better look. give it a litttle dremel fix and see how it goes. i think this liittle tractor left the line to quick on a friday afternoon. bill

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 05:30 PM

You are probably right. I've seen many new defective cars. The 63 Chevy with a 283 could have the automatic choke in backwards and many were. Good Luck, Rick

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 05:57 PM

Lower shaft should be held in place by a metal tab and small bolt on one end of it. Tab slips into the shaft with slot. OR, maybe I'm thinking of the reverse idler gear shaft way down low also. Perhaps that idler has moved and is holding the lower gears back out of place? There are bushings on that lower shaft that can wear out and cause shifting of gears out of plane and or cause jambing. Sounds like maybe pulling it and going over it,with overhaul would be good idea.  Change the front and rear bearings to sealed ones then also, to keep oil in trans better. New bushings in that lower shaft cluster and check all the gears for wear and roughness.

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#4 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 10:06 AM

i found the bushing was alittle dinged up about a 1\4inch in from end. gave it a lite filing and gear turns good on rod now. the other end sombody bent the flat metal tang up at a angle just touching the rod and not in the slot. if the tranz leaks again i will replace the bushing. bill

• Alc said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 04:13 PM

I think it is just the general nature for these old designs to leak a bit, seeing no seals there. Just like old BIG tractors, they just have leaky areas and you know then that it has oils and greases working there. Kinda like an old Harley or British bike, they Just leak!

#6 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:48 PM

someday when i get tired off fixing stuff . will wrap old trucks and tractors in depends!!!   got a pair as ajoke gift  at my 50th.

• KennyP said thank you