• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:24 AM

Just wondering if any of you have seen these around? Are there any negatives to them flaws etc, and how many were built(was it a special order thing). Also was the S-14 the only variation offered as a S-##H and an
S-##G?

#2 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:44 AM

I've seen a few G's online. 4 speed manual transmission with a separate hydraulic pump. Some of the lower hp, S-8G, were all manual, no hydraulic lift, they had springs to assist. My belief is the 14 hp Kohler was the most common and the largest available in the early years of both the New Holland and Ariens. I'll guess that's the same Tecumseh, cast iron, 4 speed that everyone was using back then.

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:46 AM

Never saw one. But it is on my wish list. I think there was a 12G also. The 14G had hydraulic lift while the 12G was manual lift.

#4 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 347 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 10:52 AM

I have a 14G.  Mine has a "catch" in the rear end while turning, but still drives fine.  I have a parts Peerless trans to fix it.  It's a different model, but same series.  All the diffy part numbers are the same. I just haven't had the time to get to it.  It's sitting until I fix it.  I don't want anything tragic happening in the rear end.  Those transaxles are few and far between.  I've been looking for a drop-in replacement for a while.

As far as negatives...I don't see any.  The Peerless trans is the same style cast trans used in a lot of GTs in that era.  The hydraulic lift has it's own pump and operates just as well as my GTs & Hs.  Everything else is pretty much the same.  I would recommend them.

The S-8 tractors were more of a lawn tractor with a vertical shaft engine.  They are a smaller, totally different machine.

• shorty said thank you

#5 AriensGT16 OFFLINE  

AriensGT16
  • Member No: 79967
  • 9 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 06:18 PM

When my Dad sold Ariens in his dealership we did sell one S14G. It had the same 4 speed transaxle used by Massey Ferguson in their 10 and 12 gear drive tractors and was a good reliable tractor. One of the advantages of the gear drive tractor was it actually had the same working horsepower as the S16H or the GT16H as it was estimated that it takes 2 horsepower the run the hydro transmission. The only drawback would be the belt drive for the right angle gear box that drives the transaxle. It is a rather short straight run belt that under normal usage would last for years. The tightener for this belt is operated by the clutch pedal and, therefore, serves as the clutch.
  • 1964Deere and shorty have said thanks