#46 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 08:06 PM

Troy, specifically Which kid did you ask? 

All three were out shoveling Alan. They worked hard today.

Here are some pictures of what we have:

DSCN5051.JPG DSCN5052.JPG

DSCN5053.JPG DSCN5054.JPG

Here was my first attempt at "plowing" this morning:

DSCN5032.JPG DSCN5036.JPG

Needless to say, I wasn't very happy:

DSCN5037.JPG

Since then though, I removed the blade and mounted the snowthrower. Had it going tonight and it works really well. The camera batteries died, so I'll have to wait and take pictures tomorrow.

Through it all though, this storm has given us some really nice drifts:

DSCN5063.JPG DSCN5064.JPG

DSCN5065.JPG

But then again, my neighbors won't see the drifts as delightful as I do:

DSCN5055.JPG DSCN5057.JPG

DSCN5058.JPG DSCN5061.JPG

With all of the blowing snow today, I thought I'd wait until tomorrow to get a total accumulation count. The snow will be ending tonight, and the winds are supposed to calm down some by tomorrow morning, so an accurate measurement tomorrow should be more achievable. I'm guessing though, somewhere around 18" total. 

• Bolens 1000, DH1, tractorman604 and 8 others have said thanks

#47 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 08:32 PM

funny-picture-north-south-winter.jpg

Actually that second one looks a lot like Indiana this last Wednesday !!

• KennyP, BNK, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#48 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 08:41 PM

I live for these winter wallops, I just can't get enough. Then again I run heavy equipment and once I'm in the wheel loader I ain't coming out !!

• MH81, BNK, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#49 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 03:54 AM

Wow! Great pix you took Troy! Wonder how the folks stranded on the PA turnpike are doing? I seen on the news that there is a bus load of High School kid's stuck.

Edited by BNK, January 24, 2016 - 03:57 AM.

• holdenboy1960 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#50 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,562 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 08:27 AM

A winter wonder land this morning. After 20 some hours of the road being blown shut, they got it opened last night with a grader. Thankfully they waited until the winds died down. One time they plowed with the storm and made a big windrow past our house for the wind to catch and drift. That time we had an eight foot drift across our drive. Today, with the plows waiting, we have about a three foot berm to dig through. I am not sure how it will go at the neighbors yet, I might have to call in some bigger equipment than what I have.

0124160718.jpg 0124160718a.jpg 0124160720.jpg 0124160721 (1).jpg 0124160721a.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, EricR and 3 others have said thanks

#51 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 04:41 PM

Well, here is what we got in Lititz:

DSCN5090.JPG

15" in a non-drifted area, which I might add wasn't easy to find! 

Been out since 7:30 this morning and only came in about twenty minutes ago, and can I just say, I hurt! However the blower on the tractor worked out really well, and I have no complaints about it whatsoever. Even though the back is a little stiff, here is how I broke the day down:

Got twelve of the neighbors dug out and made $40.00 for my efforts. Received almost three dozens of homemade chocolate chip cookies. Got a cup of spiked coffee from one elderly for blowing open her sidewalks. Taught Caleb how to operate the tractor with the snowthrower for about 45 minutes. Made a bunch of new friends. Excited to see my kids out helping others. And last but not least, got some needed seat time all day. 

Here are few pictures if anybody is interested:

DSCN5066.JPG DSCN5067.JPG

DSCN5079.JPG DSCN5085.JPG

DSCN5086.JPG DSCN5087.JPG

DSCN5088.JPG DSCN5089.JPG

I think what made the day more enjoyable is that all of the neighbors came out at the same time, and everybody was willing to pitch in and help. Neighbors helping out other neighbors. That's what it's all about!  :thumbs:

• Bolens 1000, Alc, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#52 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 05:30 PM

Looks like you made the best of it and had some good fun with friends and family

And it is always fun saving the day with your GT, When we got the 5 feet dumped on us last year I had to help the neighbors as well :D

• Alc, johndeereelfman, BNK and 1 other said thanks

#53 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 06:39 PM

Looks like you made the best of it and had some good fun with friends and family

And it is always fun saving the day with your GT, When we got the 5 feet dumped on us last year I had to help the neighbors as well :D

Just a very good feeling and a sense of satisfaction, right Brian? 

• KennyP and BNK have said thanks

#54 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 07:36 AM

Again, very good pix you have posted Troy! And the story about the neighbor's all pitching in. Day 3 for me yesterday I pushed another neighbor's driveway about 200 yards long down hill/up hill ( I am definitely going to hunt me a set of chains for sure!). I didn't get any cash but got topped off with a tank of fuel and a gallon of home made blackberry wine...fuel for me!
  • Alc, KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#55 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,562 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 07:52 AM

Work just got canceled, working down in Lancaster city and they get it opened up yet. Yesterday I tried to help a neighbor. She had a 3' packed drift across her drive. I gave up and called around to find someone with bigger equipment to help her.
  • Alc, KennyP and BNK have said thanks

#56 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:48 PM

So our Borough decided to sub out snow removal to one of our area concrete companies. They brought in a couple of tri-axle dump trucks, and the borough used their huge snowthrower mounted to the front of their backhoe, and started filling the tri-axle dump trucks. After the dump trucks were filled, they were directed to one of the area parks, and were told to dump the snow into the parking lot. Needless to say, this space started running out fast, so the concrete company brought in one of their quarry wheel loaders, and started piling the snow. Here are some pictures of the piles:

DSCN5092.JPG DSCN5093.JPG

DSCN5094.JPG

In the first two pictures, that's my oldest son (Caleb) in the middle, who I might add, is currently 6'-0" tall, so that should give you some idea just how high these piles are. Incredible! They have one side of the parking lot full, and are now starting to fill the other side. This is one huge mound of snow!!! In the last picture of the kids walking, that snow pile behind them, goes about another 30 yards or so beyond what you see. 

With Will not being able to join us, and the Ice Break contest on hold, maybe we should take guesses on how long it will take for these piles of snow to melt!  :smilewink:

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 28, 2016 - 06:49 PM.

• DH1, KennyP, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks

#57 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 08:05 PM

A winter wonder land this morning. After 20 some hours of the road being blown shut, they got it opened last night with a grader. Thankfully they waited until the winds died down. One time they plowed with the storm and made a big windrow past our house for the wind to catch and drift. That time we had an eight foot drift across our drive. Today, with the plows waiting, we have about a three foot berm to dig through. I am not sure how it will go at the neighbors yet, I might have to call in some bigger equipment than what I have.

attachicon.gif0124160718.jpgattachicon.gif0124160718a.jpgattachicon.gif0124160720.jpgattachicon.gif0124160721 (1).jpgattachicon.gif0124160721a.jpg

Hope you dont have any cars crossing at the same time!

#58 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 08:11 PM

So our Borough decided to sub out snow removal to one of our area concrete companies. They brought in a couple of tri-axle dump trucks, and the borough used their huge snowthrower mounted to the front of their backhoe, and started filling the tri-axle dump trucks. After the dump trucks were filled, they were directed to one of the area parks, and were told to dump the snow into the parking lot. Needless to say, this space started running out fast, so the concrete company brought in one of their quarry wheel loaders, and started piling the snow. Here are some pictures of the piles:

attachicon.gifDSCN5092.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN5093.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN5094.JPG

In the first two pictures, that's my oldest son (Caleb) in the middle, who I might add, is currently 6'-0" tall, so that should give you some idea just how high these piles are. Incredible! They have one side of the parking lot full, and are now starting to fill the other side. This is one huge mound of snow!!! In the last picture of the kids walking, that snow pile behind them, goes about another 30 yards or so beyond what you see. 

With Will not being able to join us, and the Ice Break contest on hold, maybe we should take guesses on how long it will take for these piles of snow to melt!  :smilewink:

That's gonna take a while to melt. June 22nd!

• johndeereelfman and BNK have said thanks

#59 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 10:17 PM

OMG!!! May 30th ?

Edited by BNK, January 28, 2016 - 10:17 PM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#60 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,562 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 10:33 PM

Hope you dont have any cars crossing at the same time!

There was very little traffic that day. Which was kind of surprising.
  • 637Yeoman said thank you