19 replies to this topic

#1 Bassethound OFFLINE  

Bassethound
  • Member No: 70853
  • 16 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 07:40 AM

Help ASAP
Storm approaching and I just purchased a plow for my 1978 316 k341. Two levers on the left. It appears that up and down for the plow go on the right lever(right when sitting on the tractor) right/left hoses reach the ports for the left lever. Correct? Right lever has "float" not sure what that is. Pushing the right lever forward not much happens but a squeal from the valve thingy on the frame. The plow works. tractor is the issue. Linkages seem all good but that right lever doesn't have as long of a throw forward as backwards. Any advise?

#2 BigFlash ONLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:58 AM

You are correct about the hose connections. not exactly sure your issue so i'll provide some common solutions,

First double check your trans oil level, 

Do both levers make the blade move? If only one lever makes the blade move, swap the hoses to different ports and see if the problems follows, if it does the problem is likely couplers aren't a close enough match that it wont let oil flow,

If it's simply one lever doesnt travel as far, It's likely that your linkage is rusted / corroded. Causing lever not to travel as far. Try spraying some wd-40 or penetrating oil on the linkage and gently work the lever back and forward and see if it frees up. 

Float is a section in the valve that alows the blade to move freely up and down to follow the contour of the ground, or float on top of the ground if you will, It should be on your right lever which you say your have problems with, but you push the right lever all the way forward and your feel it snap into a grove which is called a detent. That places the blade in float

Edited by BigFlash, January 22, 2016 - 09:58 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#3 Bassethound OFFLINE  

Bassethound
  • 16 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 10:11 AM

Thank you, that is informative. That right lever does not go forward very much at all and definitely doesn't snap into a groove at the moment. I'm going to spray it and try to work it back and forth. If I switch the hoses, the blade will move. Should forward right lever be down?

#4 BigFlash ONLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 10:23 AM

Yes, your left lever is your angle circuit, and the right is raise and lower, Right lever should push forward to to lower and pull back to raise the blade.

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,121 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 11:03 AM

You would have to block the mower deck lift cylinder too, I think on that tractor, wouldn't you.? For the front ports to be active. Just wondering.

Noel

#6 Bassethound OFFLINE  

Bassethound
  • 16 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 11:17 AM

The deck lift is the left lever I believe and that translates to left/right plow I think. I'm not looking at it right now I could be wrong. That happens a lot.
  • propane1 said thank you

#7 Bassethound OFFLINE  

Bassethound
  • 16 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 11:24 AM

The deere plow I bought isn't a 300 series plow. I tried to mount it last night. The bottom bar lines right up but the top is much wider than my frame. Maybe it's a 400 series plow? I took the pins and springs out and bolted it on with spacers to make up the gap. I believe this is totally unrelated to the hydraulic problem I am having.

#8 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 11:37 AM

If you can snug up the play with spacers might get you through the storm.  Be sure to test it out first. Then look for the correct bracket. Another issue if the blade isn't mounted "just right" like w/the wrong bracket it can dig in real bad, like every 2 feet, even in "float" mode, even on tar or ice.  My plow was also "adapted" to my tractor, I welded a pipe on the bottom of my cutting edge, fixed the digging problem.

There should be a grease fitting on the pivot for the hydro levers, make sure that is taking grease for your float issue.   The outer lever is left/right on the plow as well as the mower deck lift lever.  It will angle the blade faster if you install a blocking strap to the deck lift.  It will work fine without, just slower as you wait for the deck cylinder to cycle before the blade starts to angle, good luck

• propane1 said thank you

#9 Bassethound OFFLINE  

Bassethound
  • 16 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 11:38 AM

Could you explain the blocking strap alittle more?

#10 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 12:13 PM

Here is a pic of it in another thread.  The gray flat bar just under the footrest.  Not trying to tell you what to do but honestly with what you describe that would be at the bottom of my list w/a storm coming, i ran mine all winter last year w/o and it was fine, just slower.  I'd try to get it working right then see if it digs in, that's just me tho.  Did you check pattonacres in the dealer section, he is in pa may have a front bracket for you, good luck,

http://gardentractor...r-use/?p=636879

post-50409-0-61668400-1451165275_thumb.jpg

#11 Bassethound OFFLINE  

Bassethound
  • 16 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 12:33 PM

Thanks, I'll post after I get home from work and can fiddle with it before dark. I think this bigger bracket will be okay though. The upper holes are still centered with my frame holes just a bit wide. I just really hope my right lever will loosen up so I can use it!!!

#12 Bassethound OFFLINE  

Bassethound
  • 16 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 01:47 PM

Okay I'm at the tractor. The right lever is going all the way and I can feel it pop into float. Still no down movement on the plow

#13 Bassethound OFFLINE  

Bassethound
  • 16 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 02:45 PM

Magically it just decided to work flawlessly
  • KennyP said thank you

#14 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 03:17 PM

Glad you got it working.  I will attach a couple pics below so you can see the bracket and hose hookups in case it might help later.  if you route them right it will pull back the outside handle turns left, pull back the inside handle goes up.  And vice versa.

The blade goes down 3 ways, push the handle down it is forced down, push it all the way into float it goes down slower, push it just before clicking in float it should lift the front wheels off the ground, gives good down pressure for scraping, good luck

DSCN2185.JPG

DSCN2186.JPG

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 03:24 PM

Where are you located in PA? If you are local, I can possibly come and help plow you out if you can't get yours to work right. 

• BigFlash said thank you