• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 12:42 PM

Here's another poke in the dark. There is a listing for the 1886S -05 and -06 for a Cruise Control, Model # 18155. Again, I have no pics to reference to and maybe someone will have a manual or ???

• SC Farmer said thank you

#17 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the pic of the FMC instructions for the handheld speed control. I've seen a picture of that set up somewhere on the internet, perhaps on the "other" forum. That is for sure not what I have on my tractor. I totally agree with you about the difficulty in holding any steady speed using this lash-up, and I also saw that wear mark/rust spot on the top of the rod indicating where some sort of handle was attached at sometime in the past. As far as the paint over spray on the steering wheel is concerned, I suspect that was an earlier (very poor) paint job of the entire tractor. There is evidence of that on other parts of the tractor as well, something that I am slowly trying to correct (too dang cold to work on it now, for sure, even here in the South!).

So, this is still somewhat of a puzzle, or as we might say here in South Carolina "It's a stumper, isn't it?" :thumbs:

Thanks to all who have input their thoughts!

Jim

What part of South Carolina are you in,coming your way next week sometime
  • SC Farmer said thank you

#18 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:48 PM

Here's another poke in the dark. There is a listing for the 1886S -05 and -06 for a Cruise Control, Model # 18155. Again, I have no pics to reference to and maybe someone will have a manual or ???

That's an electric cruise control. It was optional for the HT18, HT20, HT20D and early model HT23 (2389).

It came as standard on the late model HT23 (2389S) and the HDT1000.

It uses an electromagnet to hold the speed.  You can see it here:

100_4690R.jpg

Edited by OldBuzzard, January 23, 2016 - 07:49 PM.

• LPBolens, CRFarnsworth, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#19 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 09:36 PM

Here's a pic of the instructions of what you are referencing,it is the one I was talking about as the later model, I have these on three large frames, I like the cool old school look of them but truth-be-told they can be a PITA. I'll try my hand at downloading the instructions in the manuals section.

I have a couple of the 18099 Hand Controls. Both are NOS and have never been installed on a tractor. As noted, those mounted to the left side of the dash tower, and used a new cross rod below the dash tower to operate the right hand treadle pedal, and lock it in position. So call it a non-electric cruise control. The one on the 1886 shown appears to be an early Bolens attempt to do the same thing.

I also have an NOS electromagnetic cruise control, which I should think would be preferable to the mechanical ones. Maybe someday I will get around to mounting it on my best tractor.

Edited by LPBolens, January 23, 2016 - 09:39 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, MyBolens1053 and SC Farmer have said thanks

#20 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 09:40 PM

I continue to learn something about these Bolens. Damn shame FMC had to sell to eventually become MachinesThatDie. :mad2:

• blackjackjakexxix, mrmd, AA Hayes and 1 other said thanks