• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 06:42 AM

Well, I've been working along on refurbishing my 1886-02 with a 54" mower attachment.  Mower needed some rusted through spots filled (done) and the idler sprocket brackets were in pretty sorry shape (that's still in progress).  All in all, its going pretty good.  Still looking for a top engine heat shield for the tractor though...

Okay, the reason for this post:  It has puzzled me for a while, but there is an item in front of the steering column on the dash tower that I can't identify for its purpose.  I have not been "deep" inside the dash tower as yet, just peeking in there with the aid of a flashlight.  I have looked at the parts manuals for the 1886 online as well, and still can't figure it out.  Any help here?  

Check out the picture.

Thanks, ya'll!

Jim

Oh - also - I need (obviosly, from the picture) a new "Caution" decal for the dash tower.  Just the one "Caution" decal, not the whole set.  Anyone have any leads on one?  Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• 10A.jpg

• Traill95, boyscout862 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#2 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 07:20 AM

There is nothing at all on my 1886-02  that looks like that.

How about a pic that is a bit farther back so that we can see the whole thing.

• boyscout862, MyBolens1053 and SC Farmer have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:12 AM

Looks like a shaft that might have handle or bend farther up?  Kinda like a speed control or engagement lever?  Guess these have foot control, so don't know. I have never had a Bolens, just that is what it looks like or similar to other brands. Can you see on back of dash or from under tractor to see it it goes way down to frame or another mechanical linkage or pivot?

• MyBolens1053 and SC Farmer have said thanks

#4 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:53 AM

Not sure either,like OB asked,can you get us somemore pics

• WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862, MyBolens1053 and 1 other said thanks

#5 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,170 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 10:44 AM

If you check out post 12 of this thread you can see the rod in a couple of the pictures http://gardentractor...umbers-on-1886/ - not sure what it does though.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 12:56 PM

Wasn't that the control rod for the ejection seat option?

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, ClassicBolens and 4 others have said thanks

#7 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 03:32 PM

Okay - two pics attached. First one is of the outside of the dash tower showing the rod in question.  Second pic is inside the dash tower and is marked with arrows.  Obviously this rod was used at some point as a hand control for the speed control pedal/rod. When I twist the rod with a pliers, the speed control pedal moves to the forward motion or to the rear motion.  Maybe a previous owner was disabled and needed this rod to control the tractor.  I will probably unhook it and remove the rod in the future.

Any thoughts?  Anyone ever seen this lash-up before?

Attached Thumbnails

• 108.JPG
  • 109a.jpg

• Alc, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#8 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 03:49 PM

Never seen that set up before,what's strange is its the same color of other stuff in the dash tower (not saying it couldn't have been painted)
  • WrenchinOnIt, MyBolens1053 and SC Farmer have said thanks

#9 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,516 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 04:01 PM

I believe this was Bolens first attempt at the hand cruise control that was later redesigned and moved to the left side to engage the treddle pedal shaft , I have seen this once before and I again believe it to be cruise control, had some pics, will look for them later ( of course , it's a given I may be all wet). It goes to the pedal shaft so it was either an adapted hand control for fwd- rev. or cruise

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, January 22, 2016 - 04:20 PM.

• Alc, blackjackjakexxix, MyBolens1053 and 2 others have said thanks

#10 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 04:05 PM

That is SO well done that I think if it was mine, I'd leave it on there. Especially if it doesn't interfere with the normal operation f the food pedal.

That's something is a part of the tractor's history and should be preserved.

It certainly doesn't detract from the tractor's value.

• Alc, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 4 others have said thanks

#11 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 04:51 PM

OB - I agree.  I'll leave it in place.  I'd sure like to know what type of handle or hand control it had on it though.  WrenchinOnIt might be able to help with that if he finds his pictures.

Yep.  I'll leave it alone.

Thanks to all who responded!  

• blackjackjakexxix, MyBolens1053, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#12 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 01:02 AM

After reading over this entire post I went looking into my copy of the Attachments Guide. There is a listing for the 1886S -05 and -06 for a Hand Speed Control, Model # 18099. I wish the Guide would have had pics of such item. Maybe someone can use this info to dig in their libraries and find it.

Good luck.

Edited by MyBolens1053, January 23, 2016 - 01:03 AM.

• Alc, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#13 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 06:59 AM

Wow ! This sounds like one of those factory accessories  that you just read about but never see in person !

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and SC Farmer have said thanks

#14 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,516 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 08:43 AM

After reading over this entire post I went looking into my copy of the Attachments Guide. There is a listing for the 1886S -05 and -06 for a Hand Speed Control, Model # 18099. I wish the Guide would have had pics of such item. Maybe someone can use this info to dig in their libraries and find it.

Good luck.

Here's a pic of the instructions of what you are referencing,it is the one I was talking about as the later model, I have these on three large frames, I like the cool old school look of them but truth-be-told they can be a PITA. I'll try my hand at downloading the instructions in the manuals section.

A couple observations now that I've seen it on a larger screen : like to see how it attaches to the steering bridge so it allows rotation, I see over spray on the steering wheel , a sign of home brewed ? In order for it to be effective it would have to have some serious friction to hold and maintain pedal position via rod rotation, if you look closely at the top of the shaft I think you see the wear ring of a tightening knuckle that had a adjoining rod coupled to it ,similar to the way a gear selector operates in an automobile, perpendicular to the steering column or at a right angle allowing the operator to grasp and not interfere with steering, I've spent the morning on the old mothballed Dell with Windows XP trying to find a download that included this set up, I do honestly believe I've seen it before and saved the pic, however trying to get anywhere on the XP is tedious work at best, will keep trying.

Lastly it appears to be so well made engineering wise to fit and function can only make you wonder.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160123_081728_hdr_kindlephoto-31164051.jpg

• Alc, blackjackjakexxix, sodisr and 4 others have said thanks

#15 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the pic of the FMC instructions for the handheld speed control.  I've seen a picture of that set up somewhere on the internet, perhaps on the "other" forum.  That is for sure not what I have on my tractor.  I totally agree with you about the difficulty in holding any steady speed using this lash-up, and I also saw that wear mark/rust spot on the top of the rod indicating where some sort of handle was attached at sometime in the past.  As far as the paint over spray on the steering wheel is concerned, I suspect that was an earlier (very poor) paint job of the entire tractor.  There is evidence of that on other parts of the tractor as well, something that I am slowly trying to correct (too dang cold to work on it now, for sure, even here in the South!).

So, this is still somewhat of a puzzle, or as we might say here in South Carolina "It's a stumper, isn't it?"  :thumbs:

Thanks to all who have input their thoughts!

Jim

• KennyP and MyBolens1053 have said thanks