Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Just wondering...Indiana route 74, it snows here normally in January ?

winter drivers ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 07:37 PM

:poke:  Just wondering was every "jack wang idiot" let out to be stupid on I74 in Indiana Wednesday morning ? The wife and I had to go to some calling hours near the IN and OH border Tuesday evening,  then on to visit with some of her family on the IN/IL border Wednesday morning. There was maybe 4 inches of fresh snow with a little glaze underneath Wednesday morning. We left Brownsburg about 9 AM going west doing about 50 mph fairly safely. Couple semis blow by us, eh o.k. they're heavy maybe they have enough better traction. Then it was a delivery van, ya know the newer tall skinny type. Hmmm. We start catching a mini-van that had flashers on doing 40-45 mph. Well I didn't think it was quite that bad, but it was too bad too try and pull around and pass, so I trundle along about 6 car lengths back. Here comes a F350 dually 4 wd drive and a Chevy crew cab 4 wd apparently playing "speed racer" Ford in my lane Chevy in the other. Ford figures out he can't go over me an slams his brakes does some swiveling around an finally has to follow the Chevy  around me in the high speed lane.  oh ya, you can almost hear him cussing me and you can clearly see his middle finger as he makes it by. He then starts to pull back over like he's gonna go over the mini-van...at that point I'd already been off the gas hoping nothing happens. Well he swivels around some more , gets around the mini-van with his horn full on and takes off after the Chevy.

Am I a bad person when I feel just a little bit pious when we see all 3, the delivery van, F350 and Chevy spun off  within a few hundred feet of each other about a mile up? Now understand I could clearly see the guy in the F350 on his phone (obviously not hurt) the Chevy was still spinning forward and back trying to get unstuck (not hurt) and the delivery van guy was out kicking his door. ( I'm thinking he probably ended up hurting his foot) I didn't return the gestures or language they had shared with me,  I didn't even toot my friendly little horn,( I admit I really wanted to, but i restrained myself --gold star--)I just trundled along to the next exit where we I followed the mini-van off and then we took 136 ( a two lane/ the old road) the rest of the way to Covington. Later we heard that there were numerous bad accidents  on 74, 70, 65 and 69 that morning. This is Indiana, it snows ever year, what in the world were these guys thinking ?

• Gtractor, Alc, jms180 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,921 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 07:46 PM

They'll never learn....

tortoise wins the race   :thumbs:

• Lmiller3358, boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 07:46 PM

I think your wrong ,,,, should have tooted your horn as you went bye , while waving
  • Gtractor, boyscout862, farmer john and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 07:53 PM

That's when I would usually slow down and applaud them for idiotic driving ! Unless someone was hurt, I'd appllaud then dial 911 !

• Alc, boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 08:18 PM

sounds just like the story I heard about I-80  about 1/2 way across Illinois  from a guy that came by my shop this morning....

• boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 08:47 PM

I never can resist a friendly wave in those situations. I put many miles on my truck every week and encounter many...to avoid the risk of earning points...bad drivers.

#7 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 08:48 PM

This is why the wife and I don't drive during storms, not because we cant, we both grew up driving in ice and snow, because of others who cannot seem to restrain themselves! I was taught to drive by my father in a large abandoned factory parking lot in the snow with a manual trans Chevy S10, he made sure that I respected both the machine I drove and the surface it rode on! He also just wanted his son who couldn't see over the dash without two phone books to do donuts while he chuckled and laughed. He always said I should beware the other drivers who may not have been taught to respect the same as I had.

#8 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 08:49 PM

you are much more refined than me, I had the kids in the back, the roads were crap and I was just trying to get us home safely, I am driving a Lincoln town car with aggressive truck snows and every time I get up to 50k (30mph) I feel the back end slide out, real scary, this jacked up 4 x 4 comes up behind me starts flashing his lights and making aggressive moves, I slow down a bit and get over as far as I can and he goes blasting by me at about 100k (60mph) he gets about 50 feet ahead of me and we watch him lose it, the ditches out here are wide and very deep and hes in her and hes not getting out , I wait and see him climb out the window and ask him if hes ok. he says he is and I ask him "I bet you feel pretty stupid right about now don't you" ? and I drive away. my wife asks aren't you going to help him? I told here there was no help for stupidity, my kids in the back laugh. the worst part was we had lots of snow and when I was going down that road there was a tow truck sitting there and a guy with a long pole probing the snow for his truck, the plows had completely filled the ditch, I chuckled evilly as I drove past as I knew the truck was in the ditch buried about 1/4 mile up the road, ha ha ha!!!!! 

Edited by farmer john, January 21, 2016 - 09:39 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 09:46 PM

I was born and raised here in good ole Indiana. Matter of fact, I live in Brownsburg!! Yes, it seems every year the snow is a suprise and everyone drives like they are from the Florida Keys. Seems everyone forgets the white stuff is slick.

Eric

#10 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • Member No: 66603
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 10:43 PM

Would have honked. Definitely would have honked.

• Gtractor, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#11 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,540 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 11:40 PM

Same stupidity here in NY as well, a guy in a cargo van was spinning up the hill on NY26 on Tuesday and turned it sideways in a blind curve 3/4 of the way up the hill, one car going up hill and one going down passed him while he was broadside in the middle of the road.  He managed to get up the hill, but people have no patience anymore, I watched all this while shoveling the "slop" from the plow out of the end of the driveway.  In the summer they pass us on the same blind corner while hauling loaded hay wagons from the upper field down to the barn.  

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 07:44 AM

It is the same everywhere. The idiots that think their 4 x 4 s will stop faster than a regular vehicle. Reminds me of a pair of bumpers stickers on a truck in PA 11 years ago: "Stupidity should be painfull" and "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat". Good Luck, Rick
  • Gtractor, Alc, farmer john and 1 other said thanks

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 08:53 AM

I thought you were going to describe the Ind/Oh border near Cincy, ....drivers would have been worse. :wallbanging:

people are idiots down here when the see a flake of snow.

I almost owned a new Camaro on Weds morning, stupid cut in front of me cause my lane was empty of traffic, streets basically covered. When he realized my lane was very slick for his RWD hot rod, he slammed on his brakes right in front of me, then cut back over into the clean lane as soon as he got a chance. People can be so stupid.

Edited by TAHOE, January 22, 2016 - 08:56 AM.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks