• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 09:32 PM

I may do more digging into this tomorrow.  Too near bedtime to try now.

• chieffan said thank you

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 09:42 PM

The only thing in my PC hardware list that says anything under "display" is "Intel ® Q45/Q43 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation-WDDM 1.1)"    Device type: Display Controllers,  Location: PCI bus 0 - device 2 - function 0

• chieffan said thank you

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 08:33 AM

I went snooping into the Peppermint site to see what I could find. Came across this:

Peppermint generally installs and runs without issue on most systems that have at least the preferred minimum specs; however, there are always some exceptions. Many of these exceptions come in the form of systems that require proprietary drivers to properly function. Common examples of this include systems with NVIDIA or AMD/ATI graphics cards, or wireless cards from select manufacturers. Fortunately, Peppermint includes the "Software & Updates" application which contains a section called "Additional Drivers" which will scan your system and inform you if you need any proprietary drivers to be installed, and will offer to install them for you. This will usually solve these issues immediately; however, there is no guarantee that this will provide a working solution.

Not sure if looking into that might help or not.

• olcowhand and chieffan have said thanks

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 09:10 AM

Nothing available on additional drivers.  I may try another Linox OS, or may just forget about it depending on my mood! LOL

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#20 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 07:09 PM

Nothing available on additional drivers.  I may try another Linox OS, or may just forget about it depending on my mood! LOL

I hear you loud and clear.  Some times we can only stand so much and then it is time to reconsider the benefits against the headaches to proceed.

Peppermint has a nice solitaire game to learn the fast mouse movement with.  Tried another game setup that was recommended but the games on it were weird and the examples flew by so fast I could not follow what was going on. So much for that adventure ! :shoot2:  :mad2: :wallbanging:

Edited by chieffan, January 21, 2016 - 07:13 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#21 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:18 AM

Very true chieffan - sometimes you gotta picks your battles.  The good thing about mainstream distros like Ubuntu and Mint is that the pros outweigh the cons of other distros.  As with windows in the 3.1/95/98/NT/2000/XP, getting hardware drivers right can be a challenge.  As much as I love AMD processors for the performance/$ ratio, AMD and related video hardware (nVidia) can be a real pain.  This was initially an put-off for me then I played with Linux on an old Dell laptop with the Intel processor and related stuff.  That install has been quick and painless compared to the last time I installed XP on the same machine.  

I guess I would say this - if you can come up with another machine to mess around without taking out your main windows box makes for a much less pressure when learning.  I am thinking a $50-100 laptop on CL might be a good option.

• olcowhand and chieffan have said thanks

#22 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 12:40 PM

I have a laptop with XP on it that I use for the tractor manuals in the shop.  It is an older one and don't know how much ram it has or much else about it.  Got it a few years ago from a guy that took car of computers for a large company.  They replaced them every 2 or 3 years.  Works good but a little on the slow side.  As for the install of Mint, I don't think it would be a problem if it would just do the install.  When given 4 choice and have no idea which one to select is a definite stopping point for me.  Might try it again here as ever time I have run it off the disc I see different screens.

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 02:13 PM

I'm taking a break from trying Linux for the moment.  Just don't feel like getting a headache from trying too hard.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 03:08 PM

Let's not stress that part too!

#25 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 06:06 PM

I tried to install Mint again this afternoon.  First window i got gave 4 choices.  First one had a red warning so passed it right off.  Second choice was something about encrypting the new Mint install.  Nope, passed it also.  third choice was use LVM.  Passed it as it didn't work the other day.  Fourth choice was Something else.  Went back and selected the second choice.  Run a bit and got another window. 

/dev/sda contains GPT  sigg something or other,  Has no GPT table, no vaild fake msdos partitions, tables are deleted or corrupt.  Is this a msdos partition table?

Time to quit again.  Mint does not like my machine so time to back clear off and try something else.  Maybe Peppermint seeing as how mint won't install without a bunch of hogwash I don't understand.