Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

should timing be changed after milling head?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 I Carey No Cash OFFLINE  

I Carey No Cash
  • Member No: 69506
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 01:02 PM

I have a stock k301 I am about to mill the head about .030.  I was wondering if the timing will still be good where its at or could I gain a little extra performance by "bumping the timing" a little.  I currently run mid grade (89octane) gas but was thinking I should go to 93 octane after the mill job.  This is my first time doing mods to a Kohler so I don't know all the little tricks yet.

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 04:42 PM

If everything else is staying the same, I see no reason to change the timing.
  • Trav1s said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 05:46 PM

There are forums for Pullers and K engine mods out there. They have kits offered and tips. Someone on here probly has that link and will put it on here.  Seems .030 is quite a bit, sure won't hit valves?  Think you can do some work on head for valve clearance too. I'm sure the Pullers have info on timing change, but maybe that is for more powerful engines and fuels, I don't know. Those same places have kits and techniques you can buy for get lists of if you are going the puller route.

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 06:10 PM

You will be OK.  From the Kirk Killer Kohler build pdf found here:

http://www.kirkengin...KohlerPartI.pdf

The cylinder head was bead -blasted all over and left unpainted, as was the oil pan and bearing plate. Bare aluminum parts will dissipate heat better than when painted. The head was decked .040 raising compression ratio to 7.45:1. The spark plug hole was blended into the combustion chamber roof by careful radiusing using a hand grinder and anold spark plug as a gauge.

Edited by Trav1s, January 19, 2016 - 07:06 PM.

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 06:44 PM

Kirk is good. I followed his build. The other place to check is Brian Miller's Pulling site.

http://gardentractor...s.com/index.htm

Edited by LilysDad, January 19, 2016 - 07:14 PM.

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 08:59 PM

Thanks guys!  Knew there were couple of sites, never been to them, but knew of them. I should look at them some day.

#7 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 11:08 PM

No leave it alone. 

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 01:25 AM

.030 is barely touching it, don't waste your money on a higher grade gas either, that will only make it worse. If it doesn't have a hot cam too , don't worry about it. Valve clearance could be an issue with the wrong head, but not on a 301 , they didn't use the bigger valves like the 321 did.
  • MiCarl said thank you

#9 I Carey No Cash OFFLINE  

I Carey No Cash
  • Member No: 69506
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 03:31 PM

Good info, Thanks guys! 

#10 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,492 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 05:11 PM

Wow, those things must have T Model compression ratios stock! Being a car guy, .030 seems like a lot of milling! As for the gas/cam deal, a long duration cam would lower effective compression, so that wouldn't necessitate higher octane, but might call for timing advance to get the cylinder pressure back to where it was with the stock cam.

#11 WIGTPuller OFFLINE  

WIGTPuller
  • Member No: 78032
  • 8 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 08:21 PM

Just my two cents worth.....I run several k series pullers that range from a 10 hp, 12 hp, 14 hp stock single to 18 stock v twin.  They all run on 93 octane, sometimes with up to 10% ethanol blend.  They all currently have the the stock timing.  Singles have the points gapped at .019 - .020.  The v twin is running stock coils.  Everyone of them run great.  The .030 off the head should be ok as long as you use the stock head gasket.  If you mill the head, AND run a thinner head gasket, the valve clearance should be checked. Again, all these run great on the 93 octane.  I even use 93 Octane in my everyday mower, which is a bone stock, 1440.

In fact, the ONLY tractor I have that doesn't run 93 octane, is my wife's 10 mod.  That has a milled head, thin gasket, cam and crank trigger ignition.  

To me, it's worth the extra 50-60 cents per gallon for the higher grade fuel.  

Just a quick note...With the .030 milling, you will bump the compression ratio a little and you may hear a different sound through the exhaust.  Usually a "crisper" or "pronounced" note.  

I hope this helps you out.