Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

New Cub Cadet 149: The tear-down begins!

cub cadet 149 14 hp kohler fel danco

• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#16 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 537 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 04:59 PM

I know that I don't have that part of the shield.  Nor do I have those spacers.  That explains why those two head bolts are longer then the other bolts.  I'm going to have to find that online from somewhere.

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#17 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 537 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 09:26 PM

Here is what I have for a heat shield that wasn't in the previous pictures.  Looks like I'll have to find the missing pieces that will attach to the head and muffler.

20160121_154216.jpg

I also removed the driveshaft so I can remove the motor.  The flexible disc is oblong which is why there was a vibration at idle.  The "T" shaped piece on the hydro input shaft has a lot of play between the piece and the shaft which caused the roll pin hole on the piece to become oblong. 

20160121_164115.jpg 20160121_164158.jpg 20160121_164221.jpg

On the driveshaft end that connect to engine I noticed that the pin in the end was flattened out.  I don't know if this is normal or not.  I thought it was a round pin so you could remove the pin to attach the cooling fan.  I'll have to figure this out as well.

20160121_164658.jpg 20160121_164738.jpg

When I removed the air cleaner I found out that the left air cleaner housing bolt was missing because part of the carb. has been broken off.  Might have to replace the carb to get a good seal around the air cleaner housing. 

20160121_165533.jpg

Here is what the cooling shroud says what kind of motor I have.

20160121_170652.jpg 20160121_170611.jpg

• BNK said thank you

#18 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 09:28 PM

I know that I don't have that part of the shield.  Nor do I have those spacers.  That explains why those two head bolts are longer then the other bolts.  I'm going to have to find that online from somewhere.

With that missing it could explain why the muffler was so buggered up and repaired.  No support on the far side.  

• BNK and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#19 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 537 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 09:30 PM

That's what I was kind of thinking too.

#20 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 09:38 PM

That tin shield in your first picture on your last post is not a heat shield persay.  It directs the air from the flywheel out of the blower housing and across the head to cool it.  I would replace all of that driveline if it were me.  It is a few expensive parts but it will be good to go when you are done.  There are quite a few guys online that specialize in Cub Cadet parts for the older tractors.  One of them is a site sponsor here.  You can also look up parts breakdowns on partstree.com 

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#21 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 537 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 11:55 PM

I finished pulling the motor out tonight.  It has several leaks and a loud tapping sound that I don't like.  I will tear into the motor tomorrow night and see what I can find.  It sure is a lot easier than pulling a car motor.

20160121_201750.jpg 20160121_201901.jpg 20160121_201910.jpg

It has a broken coil retaining bolt that will need to be extracted.  I'm also going to clean it up really good and give her a nice new coat of paint.  Who makes the best paint and color match?  Rattle can is ok or I do have a basic spray paint gun. 

20160121_202015.jpg

I need to remove the steering column and try to rebuild it so it doesn't have so much play. 

20160121_201833.jpg

#22 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 07:43 AM

On my...I was wondering about the wear on your drive line and now I see. Also was hoping a "IH Cubguy" would jump in and help with some pix and feedback and sure enough he did! Thank you! Very nice detail of your power plant too, very clean and looks fresh!!!! Our local Case/IH/Cub Cadet dealer has some parts still available like the fan and "rag joints" or flex disc's for the drive line just to mention a few.

Not to confuse you but I did a Quietline drive line conversion with my 149. It has 3 rag joints, one at the engine and two at the pump. The original set up was worn worse than yours mainly with the drive cup that mounts to the engine...I repaired the original and used the tractor for about a year, then a 1450 CC roller came my way so thus the conversion.

#23 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 537 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 10:38 AM

I've been looking to upgrade my drive line and I've thinking about doing the Dave Kamp driveline upgrade.  Here is the link.

http://cubfaq.com/DK%20IHCCmods.pdf

Tell me what you guys think.

I have a pulley on the rear of my engine to drive the Hydraulic pump for the FEL.  It looks like they've modified the rear engine drive line coupler to include this pulley.  To me it looks like they've shortened the driveline by a couple of inches. 

• KennyP said thank you

#24 centaurdave OFFLINE  

centaurdave

• Member No: 4549
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 03:34 PM

Nobody has mention the fantastic web site  Only Cub Cadets. com , This is a wonderful wealth of knowledge. check it out.

#25 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 04:20 PM

Nobody has mention the fantastic web site  Only Cub Cadets. com , This is a wonderful wealth of knowledge. check it out.

Hmmm...I thought of it...used to be there a lot...back in the day....

#26 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 04:57 PM

Hmmm...I thought of it...used to be there a lot...back in the day....

Me too! Not sure if I could find my way around in there now!

#27 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 05:40 PM

I don't like to post links to other GT sites or to vendors on the forum.  I used to do it regularly but now I feel like I am taking business from one place over another and don't want to discourage everyone from using other sources.  I will usually send a private message to the poster and tell them places I have had luck with in the past.

• KennyP, jpackard56, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#28 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 06:25 PM

I've been looking to upgrade my drive line and I've thinking about doing the Dave Kamp driveline upgrade.  Here is the link.

http://cubfaq.com/DK%20IHCCmods.pdf

Tell me what you guys think.

I have a pulley on the rear of my engine to drive the Hydraulic pump for the FEL.  It looks like they've modified the rear engine drive line coupler to include this pulley.  To me it looks like they've shortened the driveline by a couple of inches. 

I have to say that looks like a lot of work for the end result but it looks like it would be reliable.  When I did my 107 over last spring I upgraded my driveline as well as those couplers with the pin drive are a problem.  I use my tractor for moldboard plowing, mowing. and snowblowing as well as other stuff.  I put in a new driveshaft and coupler on the front side as well as a new rag joint about 4 years ago.  When I redid it last year the coupler and the pin were already SHOT!  Since it is stored in a shed that is cold over the winter where it is used the oil in the transmission is cold and makes it hard to start.  I wanted a way to overcome this and to solve my driveline problems.  To do both I put a clutch in it from a gear drive tractor.  When I push the clutch/brake pedal it disengages the clutch and also returns the hydro lever to neutral at the same time.  This got rid of the front coupler problem and as I have not had any real issues with the rag joint I left that at the rear.  So far it works great.

• BNK said thank you

#29 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 06:27 PM

On my...I was wondering about the wear on your drive line and now I see. Also was hoping a "IH Cubguy" would jump in and help with some pix and feedback and sure enough he did! Thank you! Very nice detail of your power plant too, very clean and looks fresh!!!! Our local Case/IH/Cub Cadet dealer has some parts still available like the fan and "rag joints" or flex disc's for the drive line just to mention a few.

LOL!!!  That picture is not of my engine.  I wish it was though as it looks great.  I just found that picture online to show what I was talking about.

• BNK said thank you

#30 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 537 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 08:46 PM

That is definitely not how my engine is going to look like when I'm done.  :smilewink:

I'm in the process of taking the motor apart.  I haven't found much wrong yet.  I did bend my harmonic balance puller when I tried to remove the flywheel. 

Flywheel 1 Me 0.  This is my first time taking apart this type of motor.   So far I have the piston and rod out.  Still working on getting the front pto bearing off.  Got the clutch off after watching a YouTube video.  Wish me luck. 

• BNK said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cub, cadet, 149, 14 hp kohler, fel, danco