Garden Tractor Forums banner

New Cub Cadet 149: The tear-down begins!

32K views 336 replies 17 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 ·
I started tonight on the tear-down of my new Cub 149 (I talked about this 149 in a post titled http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/51170-new-member-and-new-to-garden-tractor-fever/) . The first thing I had to do was to get the hydro release valves working again so I can move this beast when the motor is taken out. I had sprayed the tops of the valve with WD40 the night before. I took a small hammer and gentle tapped them until they were all the way down and started to move freely. Glasses Wood Gas Trunk Metal

The release leaver under the tunnel pan had what looked like a metal flap that has broken/rusted away. This is the hydro filter. Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Yellow Bumper

It doesn't look like it's been changed in a long time.

The second thing I did was take of the mower deck and the mower deck mule drive(I think that's what it is called). Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The mower deck came right off and so did the mule drive. That would have taken 3 times as long on my Toro Zero Turn.

Next, I tried to remove the muffler. The muffle was covered with a creatively cut piece of sheet metal that did absolutely noting to stop any exhaust leak. It was held on with 2 connected hose clamps. Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

After I removed the sheet metal I started removing the muffler clamp. The clamp had a carriage bolt that I tried a 7/16 socket (to small) and a 1/2 socket (to big)to remove it. Instead, it took a 12 mm socket. That certainly was not a OEM bolt. Once the bolt was removed I started to try and remove the clamp. It wouldn't move at all! I got out a small chisel and hammer and preceded to remove the clamp. No luck again! I looked more closely and realized that somebody had wasted half a roll of mig. wire trying to repair the muffler. It was welded all the way around the clamp. Luckily that hadn't welded the clamp to the exhaust nipple coming out of the head. Wood Automotive tire Reptile Snake Serpent
Moisture Water Fashion accessory Macro photography Darkness
Bumper Gas Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Is there some kind of award for this much welding crap on a muffler! If so, they would have won the grand prize. With the muffler out of the way I could see the front pto and noticed that a loose bolt was sitting in the hole of the pto engagement bracket. Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

I don't think that was part of the original design. I'll have to figure out what is missing and see if the piece is still available.

Next came the front grill assembly. The plastic grill is being held on with two long threaded toggle bolts. Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

That will have to be fixed. Here is what the front end of the Cub looks like at the end of my work time. Hood Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

I also noticed this wire next to the Delco starter/alternator and was wondering what it was used for. It's a large diameter multi-stranded wire wrapped with black electrical tape. I'm thinking it's an old positive wire from the battery. It looks like it has a woven insulation around it. Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Yellow Electrical wiring Gas

Its the wire closest to the engine. If you know what this is let me know.

The previous owner had also painted most of the exposed top surfaces with a high quality (not even close) none IH paint color that has a satin finish. Liquid Ingredient Fluid Plant Natural foods

That too will have to be changed. After he painted it he put on new decals. At least I know that they're still made so I can replace them again when I repaint it.

I'm not disappointed in my new Cub. When I bought it I new there would be things that had to be replaced or fixed. To me that part of the fun of working on any kind of machinery.

Hope you enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Almost always the hydro release flap will break and/or missing so your right on that issue...you will see what it looks like from a few post's in the Cub Cadet section of this forum. The plastic grille is missing the two grille spring clips so they used the toggle bolts. The PTO engagement lever should have a bronze button, it wore out so they used the crued bolt in it's place. The wire harness at the generator/starter is normal, what is tapped up is just the end of the harness mesh made of plastic. My 149 looks just like that but no tape. While you have the tunnel cover off check out the wear on the drive shaft cup on the engine and the rag joint at the pump...also there should be a plastic cooling fan on the shaft which in most cases will be missing a few blades.

#3 ·
BNK,

Thanks for the information!

I did notice that the drive shaft fan is almost none existent and that the drive shaft is not centered on the transmission. I figured the rage joint is worn. Can I replace the rage joint with a small universal joint or should I stick with the rage joint? I can't see the engine drive shaft connection because the FEL pump is driven by a pulley on the backside of the engine. When I remove the fuel tank I should be able to see it then.

Reactions: chieffan
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Man that is one big booger weld on that muffler! I'm guessing they were lazy and did it without removing the muffler. All in all it's in pretty good shape. It's extremely hard to find any GT of that vintage that isn't at least partially worn out. Those transmission bypass valves can get full of dirt around the pin. I find if you flush them out with something like liquid wrench or wd40 you will see the dirt come out with the excess liquid. Repeat until no more dirt comes out. Sometimes you will get one that won't come back up to the operate position. I've had that issue with a JD317.

Reactions: Mark 149 J.
#6 ·
I received my new muffler tonight so I went out to the shop and put it on. It seems like a good quality replacement. It's not identical to the one I took off. The other muffler was so messed up (all of the welding and the replaced tip) that I don't know what it really should be like. I can say that the metal feels very similar. The metal bracket on the top that doesn't seem to attach to anything has the same thickness of metal. I bought it on Amazon for about $44 (I'm a prime member so shipping was free). It's made by Prime Line. Here are some pictures.

Cylinder Gas Machine Auto part Nickel
Bottle Fluid Liquid Font Drink
Automotive tire Tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Yellow Rim

It sure quieted the motor. Then again just about anything would have done a better job then the old muffler.

I was talking with member BNK this morning and he sent me some picture of the front wheels on his Cub 149. He had said that mine were different then his because it looked like I had a five bolt pattern on the front rim. Sure enough he was spot on.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tableware Automotive tire Fluid Rim Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Bumper Tool Vehicle brake Gas
Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Metalworking hand tool Gear

I decided to remove one front wheel and here is what I found. The spindle shaft diameter is 1.25 inches and the bearing are held on with a castellated nut. You'll also note that they cut out the center section of the old rims and welded the hub to the rim. It's seems to have held up for all of these years so I don't think I'm going to change it. I will have to replace the spindle retaining bolt bushing in the front axel. There is a lot of movement in that part. I had also downloaded a Danco 2000 instillation manual. In the tractor preparation section the first paragraph says "Heavy duty front spindles are furnished with Loader and must be installed in place of the standard front spindles." My assumption is that the person who bought the FEL followed the directions and installed the heavy duty spindles. That's a big surprise for me as I had expected to change out the spindles for more heavy duty ones as most forums had mention this. I'm glad that I won't have to spend the money on that part. I'll try to upload the Danco FEL installation manual later on.

Attachments

#7 ·
I've uploaded the Danco FEL installation manual under the Cub Cadet implements if you would like to see and read what the manual says. I've also tried to attach it to this post. We will see if it works.

View attachment Danco RD2000 Install Manual.pdf

Attachments

#8 ·
Mark, the engine is missing the heat shield that bolts to the head and the little brkt on the muffler would bolt to the heat shield. Look on some of the Cub post's and you will see what it looks like. 102,122 & 123 were different...models after that were the same until you get to the Quietline models. Great mystery on the wheel/hub setup is solved!

#9 ·
Here's a screenshot from the service manual of the heatshield & muffler.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Machine

Attachments

#10 ·
Kevin,

I do have the heat shield I just haven't put it back on. The previous own had recently taken it off for some reason.

Kenny,

The bracket for the muffler shouldn't be too hard to fab something up for it.

Thanks for the picture!

Reactions: KennyP
#11 ·
You won't have to fab a brkt, Mark, the heat shield is the mounting brkt as well for the muffler if you have the correct 10 ga heat shield ie brkt. The pic Kenny posted is the side view. Can you post a pic of the shield you have? Should be a roughly 8X8" plate with some holes for the head bolts and spark plug and toward the taper a small oval hole for mounting the muffler. Wish I was at my home PC so I could post a pic...on my tablet now.

#12 ·
You won't have to fab a brkt, Mark, the heat shield is the mounting brkt as well for the muffler if you have the correct 10 ga heat shield ie brkt. The pic Kenny posted is the side view. Can you post a pic of the shield you have? Should be a roughly 8X8" plate with some holes for the head bolts and spark plug and toward the taper a small oval hole for mounting the muffler. Wish I was at my home PC so I could post a pic...on my tablet now.
Taper meaning at the break or bend of the shield.

#13 ·
I'll have to check the heat shield out when I get home tonight.

Reactions: BNK
#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's a screenshot from the service manual of the heatshield & muffler.
attachicon.gif
Screenshot from 2016-01-21 07:01:18.jpg
What's unique about the pic you posted (Kenny) is the rare glimpse of a wide frame Electric lift! I have had several narrow frame's but only two wide frame's, one on a 86 and the other on a 108...well OEM, got one on my 149 for a front lift. Hoping one day to covert to hydraulic...does fine for a Dozier blade but the Johnny Dump Jr it does not like the weight when you get a scoop.

Attachments

#15 ·
When you do put that shield back on there are two steel spacers about a 1/2" or so long that fit on top of the two long head studs but underneath the shield. Then there is two more 3/8" nuts that go on top of there yet. I attached a different picture that shows from a different angle what Kenny and BNK are talking about. This shot also shows how the muffler bolts on to the shield. It is the bolt in the lower left corner of the shield in the picture.

Attachments

#16 ·
I know that I don't have that part of the shield. Nor do I have those spacers. That explains why those two head bolts are longer then the other bolts. I'm going to have to find that online from somewhere.

Reactions: IHCubGuy
#17 ·
Here is what I have for a heat shield that wasn't in the previous pictures. Looks like I'll have to find the missing pieces that will attach to the head and muffler.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Nut

I also removed the driveshaft so I can remove the motor. The flexible disc is oblong which is why there was a vibration at idle. The "T" shaped piece on the hydro input shaft has a lot of play between the piece and the shaft which caused the roll pin hole on the piece to become oblong.

Wood Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal
Wood Snout Art Circle Auto part
Wood Artifact Gas Metal Close-up

On the driveshaft end that connect to engine I noticed that the pin in the end was flattened out. I don't know if this is normal or not. I thought it was a round pin so you could remove the pin to attach the cooling fan. I'll have to figure this out as well.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Tool Varnish
Wood Hardwood Auto part Metal Rim

When I removed the air cleaner I found out that the left air cleaner housing bolt was missing because part of the carb. has been broken off. Might have to replace the carb to get a good seal around the air cleaner housing.

Helmet Gas Personal protective equipment Metal Auto part

Here is what the cooling shroud says what kind of motor I have.

Liquid Water Fluid Font Gas
Yellow Rectangle Gas Font Paint

Attachments

Reactions: BNK
#18 ·
I know that I don't have that part of the shield. Nor do I have those spacers. That explains why those two head bolts are longer then the other bolts. I'm going to have to find that online from somewhere.
With that missing it could explain why the muffler was so buggered up and repaired. No support on the far side.

#19 ·
That's what I was kind of thinking too.

#20 ·
That tin shield in your first picture on your last post is not a heat shield persay. It directs the air from the flywheel out of the blower housing and across the head to cool it. I would replace all of that driveline if it were me. It is a few expensive parts but it will be good to go when you are done. There are quite a few guys online that specialize in Cub Cadet parts for the older tractors. One of them is a site sponsor here. You can also look up parts breakdowns on partstree.com

#21 ·
I finished pulling the motor out tonight. It has several leaks and a loud tapping sound that I don't like. I will tear into the motor tomorrow night and see what I can find. It sure is a lot easier than pulling a car motor.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Machine
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Vehicle Engineering
Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive lighting Gas Machine

It has a broken coil retaining bolt that will need to be extracted. I'm also going to clean it up really good and give her a nice new coat of paint. Who makes the best paint and color match? Rattle can is ok or I do have a basic spray paint gun.

Brown Paint Yellow Wood Water

I need to remove the steering column and try to rebuild it so it doesn't have so much play.

Automotive tire Yellow Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas

Attachments

#22 ·
On my...I was wondering about the wear on your drive line and now I see. Also was hoping a "IH Cubguy" would jump in and help with some pix and feedback and sure enough he did! Thank you! Very nice detail of your power plant too, very clean and looks fresh!!!! Our local Case/IH/Cub Cadet dealer has some parts still available like the fan and "rag joints" or flex disc's for the drive line just to mention a few.

Not to confuse you but I did a Quietline drive line conversion with my 149. It has 3 rag joints, one at the engine and two at the pump. The original set up was worn worse than yours mainly with the drive cup that mounts to the engine...I repaired the original and used the tractor for about a year, then a 1450 CC roller came my way so thus the conversion.

#23 ·
I've been looking to upgrade my drive line and I've thinking about doing the Dave Kamp driveline upgrade. Here is the link.

http://cubfaq.com/DK%20IHCCmods.pdf

Tell me what you guys think.

I have a pulley on the rear of my engine to drive the Hydraulic pump for the FEL. It looks like they've modified the rear engine drive line coupler to include this pulley. To me it looks like they've shortened the driveline by a couple of inches.

Reactions: KennyP
#26 ·
Hmmm...I thought of it...used to be there a lot...back in the day....
Me too! Not sure if I could find my way around in there now!

Reactions: Mark 149 J.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.