I started tonight on the tear-down of my new Cub 149 (I talked about this 149 in a post titled http://gardentractor...-tractor-fever/) . The first thing I had to do was to get the hydro release valves working again so I can move this beast when the motor is taken out. I had sprayed the tops of the valve with WD40 the night before. I took a small hammer and gentle tapped them until they were all the way down and started to move freely.
It doesn't look like it's been changed in a long time.
The mower deck came right off and so did the mule drive. That would have taken 3 times as long on my Toro Zero Turn.
Next, I tried to remove the muffler. The muffle was covered with a creatively cut piece of sheet metal that did absolutely noting to stop any exhaust leak. It was held on with 2 connected hose clamps.
After I removed the sheet metal I started removing the muffler clamp. The clamp had a carriage bolt that I tried a 7/16 socket (to small) and a 1/2 socket (to big)to remove it. Instead, it took a 12 mm socket. That certainly was not a OEM bolt. Once the bolt was removed I started to try and remove the clamp. It wouldn't move at all! I got out a small chisel and hammer and preceded to remove the clamp. No luck again! I looked more closely and realized that somebody had wasted half a roll of mig. wire trying to repair the muffler. It was welded all the way around the clamp. Luckily that hadn't welded the clamp to the exhaust nipple coming out of the head.
Is there some kind of award for this much welding crap on a muffler! If so, they would have won the grand prize. With the muffler out of the way I could see the front pto and noticed that a loose bolt was sitting in the hole of the pto engagement bracket.
I don't think that was part of the original design. I'll have to figure out what is missing and see if the piece is still available.
I also noticed this wire next to the Delco starter/alternator and was wondering what it was used for. It's a large diameter multi-stranded wire wrapped with black electrical tape. I'm thinking it's an old positive wire from the battery. It looks like it has a woven insulation around it.
Its the wire closest to the engine. If you know what this is let me know.
That too will have to be changed. After he painted it he put on new decals. At least I know that they're still made so I can replace them again when I repaint it.
I'm not disappointed in my new Cub. When I bought it I new there would be things that had to be replaced or fixed. To me that part of the fun of working on any kind of machinery.
Hope you enjoy the pictures!