Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New To Forum and JD ownership... 318 surging motor?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 HiccaBurp OFFLINE  

HiccaBurp

• Member No: 2937
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 25, 2011 - 11:48 AM

Hello All!! I'm new on the board as well as JD ownership. I purchased a great looking 1990 318 with 714 hours and 50" deck.

Now, she starts right up and has a little bit of smoke. But the issue is the engine surges. At all speeds. Now, once I'm at full throttle and deck engaged, I don't notice it. The previous owner said it's probably just the gas thats been sitting all winter and to run some clean gas thru her.

What do you all say? I put some seafoam and a couple gallons of gas and ran her. Still there. I'm pretty handy and don't mind getting my hands dirty.

Also, how to obtain info on oil and hydraulic oil changes? Do I need filters form JD, or auto parts stores will have them?

Thank you all in advance..
Alex

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 25, 2011 - 12:18 PM

Hi Alex, welcome to GTtalk. I don't know what engine is in the JD 318. For the filters I use any decent ones I can find that fit. Napa is good at cross referencing filter numbers for you. For the surging, there is a possibility of it being bad gas, maybe run what you have in the tank through it and then add fresh gas, don't add any more fresh gas to the old gas.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted April 25, 2011 - 05:05 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk! Is there any play in the throttle shaft? It really low on hours for that, but maybe? I think you're on the right track, thinking it's water... You may have to take the bowl off to get rid of it.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 25, 2011 - 07:38 PM

Also if it is an Onan in it, they are sensitive and will surge easier then most. The Onan performer that is in my 1655 has been surging a little bit again but I think it is because I think I got a little water in the gas.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,655 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 25, 2011 - 07:42 PM

Possibly some trash in the carb, varnish inside the jets, or water as George said. Also fuel level in carb could be low due to float adjustment, or maybe poor fuel delivery. Some say they have surging due to worn linkages, but it's always been trash or water for me. On the older units with adjustable main jets, it was easier to adjust this out, but the ones with fixed jets have to be almost perfect or they will surge.

#6 a4hope2011 OFFLINE  

a4hope2011

• Member No: 2187
  • 1 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 26, 2011 - 09:49 PM

If you have a mind to, taking the gas tank out and draining it of its old fuel is fairly simple. There are only four bolts holding the fender pan on, and after you unplug the tail lights from their homes, it comes right off. Then, there are only a couple clamps holding the hoses on the fuel tank fittings. Especially if that gas wasn't stabilized before the winter, there may be a bit of separated fuel in the bottom of the tank that the pickups are grabbing.

Filters are up to you, since they are changed so infrequently I just use the Deere ones, they aren't too expensive. The oil drains at the bottom right of the engine, where there is a small t-fitting. A neat tip is to put a small chunk of hose on the fitting so you can direct the used oil into a container and it doesn't spill out onto the frame (which is in the way, of course). There is a plug in the bottom of the transaxle where the hydraulic fluid drains, on mine it is a square head and is magnetic to catch any particles the filter might miss. John Deere hyguard low viscosity is the proper fluid to run. 10w-30 oil for all weather use, the manual recommends JD oil or a high quality engine oil.

Posted Image

#7 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 05:31 AM

I would agree with George, in that I think it is probably a jet adjustment if the seafoam doesn't work.

#8 dcso600 OFFLINE  

dcso600

• Member No: 2608
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 05:55 AM

I think the Onan engines have a dash pot on the carb to take care of surge. check the dash pot to make sure it is o.k. and adjusted properly.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 09:55 AM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new tractor. Take a good look at the throttle/governor linkage. If the linkage is worn or the spring is loose or damaged it can cause surging. This is made worse on an engine that needs a tune up. It is probably something simple.

#10 xochytl OFFLINE  

xochytl

• Member No: 3239
  • 2 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 01:03 PM

If there is a governer that is always the first place I check for surges. I had one that surged like crazy when the governer broke execpt when running full throttle.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 01:49 PM

HiccaBurp,:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.

#12 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 05:49 PM

If you can adjust the choke to where it smooths out then it is lean. If not then you need to adjust the governor.

Lean could also be a intake manifold problem. I had a Ingersoll 226 and it wouldnt go above half throttle without the choke! The rivets for the intake manifold popped off on the 2nd cyl. Drilled all them out and resealed and tapped for 10-32 cap screws.
  • Gary400 said thank you

#13 Chuck V OFFLINE  

Chuck V

• Member No: 2561
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 06:15 PM

Hi Alex,

The 1990 318 has the P218 Onan engine so no dashpot (and no points either...it is electronic ignition.) Usually the surging at low load is related to a blocked low speed jet, so you need to clean the carburetor thoroughly which means taking it apart if the seafoam does not clear the blockage.

Another common cause of hunting/surging is an air leak below the throttle plate. In high hour engines this can be worn throttle shaft bushings or wear on the shaft itself, but it is also common to have leaks in the manifold itself. The Onan intake manifold is a two part assembly, and the seal between the halves can begin to leak with age -- there are many threads on other forums on how to address this. Since your engine has under 1000 hours on it, it most likely is the blocked carburetor jet or passage so start there.

Good luck

Chuck
  • Alc said thank you

#14 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 08:26 PM

I don't have anything to add to all of the suggestions that have been made above. i just wanted to say :wave: HiccaBurp welcome to GTTalk! i apparently missed you the first time this thread went around. I hope that you enjoy the forum and stop back to let us know how it all worked out for you.

#15 HiccaBurp OFFLINE  

HiccaBurp

• Member No: 2937
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 10:07 PM

Hey ALL,

Thank you for the warm welcomes :D I put seafoam and am about half a tank into it. It seems to be getting better. When I change the engine and trans oil, I'll take a look over the whole engine. I'm hoping it's just a clogged jet.

BTW, as for oil, it Shell Rotella 30 weight good? What is you favorite oil for the summer? Also, it smokes a bit on initial startup after sitting overnight. Anything I can do?

Thanks again,
Alex