Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Not tool, but Shed, what think of these?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 02:04 PM

Have looked at metal car huts and said, maybe OK, not liking look really. Those were the tube frame ones. Now have run accross a neat kit you can buy. All comes on a platform knocked down.  They are called VersaTube Building systems.  Square metal tube frames, can be made in any size/height if you wanted custom.  I am looking at the Grand Carport 12 x 20 x 7. Was thinking the 10 high, make upper storage, then said NAh!  This kit is 2 sided. They also have 3 sided. I didn't see one with door options, might need to look better, but think that would not be problem to add later if wanted. They mount on concrete slab. Not sure if I need the frost line footing here or not for such building, willl have to check on that.  This kit is $2040 with Free ship and can get in colors too. All barn steel like siding and roof. What think?  Anyone try these?  Made in Tennessee and says US Steel!  I'm looking for out of weather place mostly to put tractors and items in when finished to get my shop space back.  I would probly run a wire out for some lights at least, maybe an outlet or two, one to outside maybe.  Check their site out, seems pretty good prices on them.

#2 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 04:45 PM

A friend of mine put up two of them several years ago-don't know what brand they were thou-he just staked em to level ground with rebar -no concrete slab just clay-Don't know if that's to code but he don't care about buildings codes or permits. He got the car port style and bought extra barn steel and finished of the sides with that and then framed in with wood for garage door,no service door because he uses it for storage only.

Around here we don't need footing for single story garage -just a floating slab.

About 5 years ago we had a huge blizzard with lots of snow and it didn't cave in so I guess it handle it.

His looks nice and he is happy with them.

#3 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 04:51 PM

Maybe you have not had a 3' dump of snow in some years but I would not bet on it not happening again.  I regularly have to clear snow off the roof of my garage,,if I see 3' its getting cleared....

http://versatube.pis...0306478355.html

Also on the North route of our Hwy 11 in the Kapuskasing area (this is where GM used to cold test its vehicles) there are numerous structures such as this one collapsed... Must have been a smooth talking salesman roll through the area years ago.  Just looking at the design of the tin wet snow will cling to it and as tough as the material is structurally its a tin tent. JMHO

http://www.panelstee...er/squashed.jpg

I think you would be better off getting a shed or small garage package from local lumber yard. Proper trusses to keep the roof off your treasures.,,,a 20' sea can is in that price range as well..paint it too your liking, put a leanto off of it...and likely a safe as place as any when tornado warning issued..

Edited by Jazz, January 18, 2016 - 05:01 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#4 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,527 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 05:03 PM

If I were looking to build, I would be checking it out. It looks to be a decent design and would be quick to put together.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 06:35 PM

Hardly snows big here in IN where I live. That second picture must have been quite a load. Neighbor has had that design, and I looked at them years ago and no problem with his in anyway.  There is a snowfall and wind rating part in the home page of their offerings. Seemed pretty high for such a shed to me. I DID build a wood shop, instead of metal in past, for less money then steel pole buildings and think stronger.  Getting older, looking for maybe easier and quicker way to put up and be something new owner could take down if he wanted if I ever left the property.

#6 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 10:37 PM

If you look at pics in the link i posted does not look like 2' of snow on the buildings beside the collapsed versa tube building. Plus versa tube reneged on warranty claiming "unusual amount of snow"  I don't think a 2' accumulation is all that much,,,not for Minnesota or most northern states.. It only has to happen once. 

the old saying POOR MAN PAY TWICE applies here...

• Cvans said thank you

#7 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 03:55 PM

I got a quote for an 18'x20' with a 9'x7' overhead door and a 36" man door on the side.  Basically a fully enclosed "carport", "car hut", whatever you want to call it.  It would be installed on whatever you wanted to provide (ground, concrete slab, etc.).  Total cost was $3,325.  I thought that was fairly reasonable for that much storage.