• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 11:01 AM

I plan on growing sweet corn this summer to sell. I live right on a highway so selling shouldn't be a problem.

I have a plow and a dethatcher at my disposal. I know I need secondary tillage (like a disk) before I try to harrow with the dethatcher. I think I will need the disk as I am in a clay based soil.

I should have a running massey ferguson 12 with sleeve hitch by planting time. That should handle an 8" horse plow fine on clay sod? Will a Moto Mower 6020 handle the atv disk at princess auto without any issues? I know the rear axle is rumoured to be delicate... everything will have either ag tires or chains on it.

I plan on having someone (probably my dad) plowing while I disk. I'll try making video of this. I'll probably pick up a brinly row crop cultivator eventually too.

How many dozen cobs can I expect from an area that is 200 feet by 60 feet? Corn will be planted on 30" rows.

Going by last years corn in my dads garden I'll need raccoon control. Anyone think an electric net fence would work?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Greasy6020, January 18, 2016 - 11:02 AM.

• SOBEULABilm said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,784 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 11:23 AM

How fertile is your soil? Corn needs alot of nutrients. Good Luck, Rick

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 11:35 AM

Don't plant it all at once!! Or you will not sell it all. You should be able to get easily 2 pounds of seed in there. That's over 5000 plants with 2 ears each....
Plant 2 rows every 2 weeks and you should have corn from August to October.
I irrigate mine so I can control it's water and nutrient intake, as I fertilize through the irrigation as well. Your biggest fight will most likely be weeds, till with a walk behind tiller as long as you can, and hand weed before hilling. You should have show stopping corn. My critter control is made by Winchester, .17HMR that is, deadly accurate, and easy on the ears.

Edited by skyrydr2, January 18, 2016 - 11:49 AM.

• Alc, jms180, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 11:36 AM

How fertile is your soil? Corn needs alot of nutrients. Good Luck, Rick

Local dairy farmers grow corn here. Some do corn back to back then soybeans
  • boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 12:14 PM

Unless you don't have access to fresh sweet corn I would not mess with it.  Takes a lot of work and time like skyrydr2 mentioned.  Sounds like your going to be buying another couple hundred $$ of tools too.  Add the cost of your electric fence materials and fencer.  Can't ride 'shotgun' on the patch 24/7 and a couple coon can really do damage in a few hours during the night.  We buy all our sweetcorn and can usually get nice corn for less than a buck an ear.  Can't raise it for that.

• HANKG said thank you

#6 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 12:18 PM

Don't plant it all at once!! Or you will not sell it all. You should be able to get easily 2 pounds of seed in there. That's over 5000 plants with 2 ears each....
Plant 2 rows every 2 weeks and you should have corn from August to October.
I irrigate mine so I can control it's water and nutrient intake, as I fertilize through the irrigation as well. Your biggest fight will most likely be weeds, till with a walk behind tiller as long as you can, and hand weed before hilling. You should have show stopping corn. My critter control is made by Winchester, .17HMR that is, deadly accurate, and easy on the ears.

Great method! Inappropriate for my living conditions. Step mom is a peta nut vegetarian....

#7 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 12:29 PM

Unless you don't have access to fresh sweet corn I would not mess with it. Takes a lot of work and time like skyrydr2 mentioned. Sounds like your going to be buying another couple hundred $$ of tools too. Add the cost of your electric fence materials and fencer. Can't ride 'shotgun' on the patch 24/7 and a couple coon can really do damage in a few hours during the night. We buy all our sweetcorn and can usually get nice corn for less than a buck an ear. Can't raise it for that.

Second massey ferguson 12 is a part of another project and has a great deal of value to me. It used to belong to my grandpa. He's still here with us but I want him to be able to see that I think what he taught me is very important to me. And that massey ferguson makes good stuff.

The disk I want is so I can work up his garden for when he is able to walk much better. And hire myself out to the locals.

Grandpa dad and me are collectors of stuff... I have all the electric fence stuff here. Just gotta find it...

I'm sure I can con my friend (fellow garden tractor enthusiast) into helping and we split the profits.

What sounds like a fair price per dozen?

And i had asked if a Moto Mower 6020 would handle a 33" atv disk from princess auto without any issues. Would it?

Edited by Greasy6020, January 18, 2016 - 12:31 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 12:45 PM

Princess Auto an auto parts store?? Has discs???  Have to search online and see what farm stuff they have then?? What about farm stores up there? OR, why not just look for a used one, seem to be many offered.  Craigslist or Kiwi or whatever you call it up there.  I have never had a big garden and stuff to sell, but would think too much work for the little profit in it. And very time consuming. I have other things to do with my time. I'm just a Country/City boy, on the "edge" sort of, heh!

#9 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 01:25 PM

Princess Auto an auto parts store?? Has discs??? Have to search online and see what farm stuff they have then?? What about farm stores up there? OR, why not just look for a used one, seem to be many offered. Craigslist or Kiwi or whatever you call it up there. I have never had a big garden and stuff to sell, but would think too much work for the little profit in it. And very time consuming. I have other things to do with my time. I'm just a Country/City boy, on the "edge" sort of, heh!

Farm store down the highway has disks but not what I want or need. Plus you get gouged there. We have kijiji. There seems to be none up here... I'm in an area that no one food plots for deer or has garden tractors. Just riding mowers from Sears and Home Depot. There was an international and massey ferguson dealership here but both are long gone...

#10 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 03:01 PM

How far north are you? For the "supersweet" varieties of corn that everyone seems to want these days you'll need a pretty lengthy frost free window. I have found that Vision is a very tasty variety but needs about 90-100 frost free days. You probably know already not to mix the super sweets with normal sugar varieties.Skyrydr2 is right, stagger your plantings so you have fresh corn ready over an extended period, or plant varieties with different maturing dates. As far as racoons go, I have had good luck with electric fencing, one wire about 8" off the ground and a second at about 14". A good dog can work wonders as well if you live in an area where it can be out all night.
  • Alc and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 04:22 PM

How many dozen cobs can I expect from an area that is 200 feet by 60 feet? Corn will be planted on 30" rows.

Well, let's see. If I calculate this right, you should have the following:

200 feet long x 60 feet wide plot

-should give you 27 rows of corn wide

-roughly 400 stalks of corn each row planted on 6" centers

-totaling around 10,800 stalks

-times two ears per stalk

-giving you around 21,600 total ears or 1,800 dozen 

-at $3.50 a dozen

-should land you right around $6,300.00 in sales

-minus your time, seed pricing, tractor ware and tare plus gas, irrigation and fertilizer costs, and free dozens to family and friends. Oh, and any harvest lost to critters! 

Good Luck!  :thumbs:

• Alc, CanadianHobbyFarmer and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#12 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 04:44 PM

Maybe a Brinly cultivator would do the job, if you set your rows so you can drive your tractor in-between them you can keep the weeds under control like this.

Post #33  http://gardentractor...achments/page-3

• Alc and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#13 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 05:36 PM

Corn is a tricky rascal and this summer is looking to be a cooler than normal one.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 05:56 PM

Great method! Inappropriate for my living conditions. Step mom is a peta nut vegetarian....

Live trap them and let them loose in the house then...

Seriously, live trapping is a good way... Of course, around here... They must be dispatched if caught due to the rabies issues.
  • Greasy6020 said thank you

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 06:02 PM

What sounds like a fair price per dozen?

That is hard to say!  It can vary quite a lot based on the area and region.

Here about 40 miles east of Des Moines I have paid $6,00 a dozen the last two years,

JohnDeereelfmans example indicates $3.50 in his area. You can make good money on sweetcorn.

BUT

There is a lot of work involved and time invested to command a good price.

The sugar in corn starts turning to starch from the minute you pick the corn and turning to starch deteriates the flavor.

So you need to pick only what you can sell in a day, and that puts you in the field at daybreak.

Walking through the field picking while the dew is on will get you soaking wet, then you will sit out in the hot sun for hours on end.

You will earn every dollar you make, learned that lesson back when we only got 35 cents a dozen and 30 cents if you sold to the grocery store back in 1965.

• johndeereelfman said thank you