• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 08:14 PM

Good, bad ugly? Got a chance to buy a good running unit with front blade and 48" deck with power lift, asking $500.

Edited by toppop52, January 17, 2016 - 08:20 PM.

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 08:35 PM

Careful. KT17, not the best engine Kohler made. 4 speed tranny, weak and expensive to fix. Probably has issues now which is why it's going so cheap. I'm talking about the clutch. Apparently the tranny isn't the best but I've always heard about the clutches first and foremost.

Edited by David Brown, January 17, 2016 - 10:29 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 10:21 PM

Manuals not so good in PK.  Same as D Brown says. And not that good of price really for that model. Is plastic dull and weathered or broken also?  If hydro, would say OK, nut sticks cost about $600 or more to replace clutches and work on trans if needed, which is MOST of the time. One test is to run in higher gears up a hill or pushing on a tree or such with blade and see if it seems like clutch slipping. Also look underneath around that area and see if dripping or covered with oil. Trans in these get leaky seal and oil goes right into the clutch pak and soaks up in discs, and also throw-outs wear into case inside and loose tension and slip. Look thru here and search for similar postings and see what others have said and some have opened there rig up to try to fix, asking for help.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 11:59 AM

Thanks guys, I'll just let this one go. It looks great, but I don't need an expensive problem.