• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 10:17 AM

Here is your path go to main menu to administration, then synaptic package manager, and put  kpat  in search box.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#62 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 10:56 AM

Thanks Gopher. :thumbs:  The repository is where the applications that are not installed are stored.  Kenny when you use the software manager you are accessing the repository.  Kpatience is the application name and Kpat is the file name.  In Mint you can use Synaptic or the Mint Software manager.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#63 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 11:02 AM

No, has to be a countersunk finishing nail or else the flow of bytes get hung up on the protruding head.  Also you need to sand down any splinters....they can snag a whole giggerbyter at once!   :D

Nailer's don't leave the head protruding if the pressure is set right.  With the soft SPF we get for lumber any more not much chance of a splinter.  Now plywood is another story.  Nothing like the Fir dimension lumber we used to build with 5o+years ago.  I'll see if I can find some
#8 finish nails some place.  Probably only find #4 & #6 then jump to 10 casing and box.  :shoot2:     :poke:     :thumbs:

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#64 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 11:07 AM

Thanks Gopher. :thumbs:  The repository is where the applications that are not installed are stored.  Kenny when you use the software manager you are accessing the repository.  Kpatience is the application name and Kpat is the file name.  In Mint you can use Synaptic or the Mint Software manager.

OK ?  This is going to take a lot of time and messing with for sure.  Check with me next year about this time.   :smilewink:

• KennyP said thank you

#65 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 11:22 AM

OK ?  This is going to take a lot of time and messing with for sure.  Check with me next year about this time.   :smilewink:

Get used to what you have right now. I found the kpat going through what he posted. Took a minute to figure out how to install, though. I do find it hard to mess things up with Linux. You always have the option to go back and uninstall easily.

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#66 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 12:44 PM

Only messing up I am concerned about is what I have on the hard drive now.  Did not get any 'path' in what gopher posted, just the one line.  Maybe later today.  Have a guy coming after my big tractor after while and then need to run in to town so after that I should have some time to mess with it.  Would like to install Mint though.  Thanks for help and advice and for putting up with a computer illiterate like me.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#67 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 05:42 PM

Only messing up I am concerned about is what I have on the hard drive now.  Did not get any 'path' in what gopher posted, just the one line.  Maybe later today.  Have a guy coming after my big tractor after while and then need to run in to town so after that I should have some time to mess with it.  Would like to install Mint though.  Thanks for help and advice and for putting up with a computer illiterate like me.

I'll be around to help as I can. Not as knowledgeable as Bill or Travis, but can muddle my way through most times!

#68 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 05:45 PM

Tell ya what chiffan, I am in a dealing mood and will make you an offer you CAN refuse.  I will set up your PC with Linux if you take care of the 10 middle school kids at the church tonight from 6:30 to 8 PM.  :smilewink:

#69 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 05:51 PM

Tell ya what chiffan, I am in a dealing mood and will make you an offer you CAN refuse.  I will set up your PC with Linux if you take care of the 10 middle school kids at the church tonight from 6:30 to 8 PM.  :smilewink:

You know, if I was closer and there was a ping pong table at the church I would take you up on that.  Afraid I might be running a little late though.  I taught Mo Ped Safety Class to about a dozen or so middle school kids every spring on Saturday mornings for 6 weeks.  Think I can still handle them - maybe.

• KennyP and Trav1s have said thanks

#70 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 05:58 PM

Working on Mint right now.  Loaded up different than it did the previous times.  To start with I had to enter a user name and password to go on.  Then I got a white window about 3 X 4 in the upper left corner that said: error  acpi  pc probe failed.  the it went awayn  few min lateer it came back weith same thing and more underneith.  That went away.  Finally loaded up and is running.  This time I have all the mouse controls and have a mouse that runs at a reasonable speed.

Guess you might say making a little headway.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#71 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 06:06 PM

Here is your path go to main menu to administration, then synaptic package manager, and put  kpat  in search box.

Figured out what gopher was saying (above).  Got a green bar over kpat but have no ide what I got, where Iwas at or where I was going.  I do know I got clear out of that place as it was all greek to me.

• KennyP said thank you

#72 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 06:18 PM

Tried to include a photo with a reply but coulod not get to where the photos was at.  Typed in C:\Kubota\Pictures\  but never got anything.  How do I get back to C when running of a CD ? ? ?

• KennyP said thank you

#73 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 06:18 PM

Figured out what gopher was saying (above).  Got a green bar over kpat but have no ide what I got, where Iwas at or where I was going.  I do know I got clear out of that place as it was all greek to me.

Cool! What you needed to do there was put a check mark next to kpat then just above and left is an 'Apply' button. That would have installed it.

• chieffan said thank you

#74 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 06:20 PM

Tried to include a photo with a reply but coulod not get to where the photos was at.  Typed in C:\Kubota\Pictures\  but never got anything.  How do I get back to C when running of a CD ? ? ?

That I don't know!

#75 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 07:19 PM

There is no C: drive in Linux.  Easy way to get your path to your file is open the file manager, I believe you said you are running Mate, which should be Caja.  Up at the top of the panels you will see some buttons that show what folder your in.  There is a small button to the left click on it and it will show a text box instead.  Then down on the left side about mid way down you will see Devices. Below that will list your partitions.  Select the one with windows on it and navigate to where your pictures are.  Then just copy the path up in the text box at the top and paste it where you need it. 

• chieffan said thank you