81 replies to this topic

#31 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 04:34 PM

I checked the control panel under W7 and the speed was set to the slowest position.  I moved it up a bit it is a lot faswer now but not sure I will like it

that way.  We have been used to it slow so will be hard to get used to it flying all over the screen.

Won't try Fedora then.  Will stick it back for future use? ?  Going to try Peppermint now and see what it is like.

#32 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 08:34 AM

I loaded up Peppermint yesterday afternoon for a while.  It does have the sliders for setting the mouse speed and sensitivity.  It also has a game section I found with solitaire.  After play with that for a good while the mouse operation came fairly easy.  Very good practice drill.  Due to my ISP cutting my bandwidth back to a snails pace for a few days I did not go further and try loading up anything off the internet.  I noticed it did not show the icons for some of the sites like this one that the other two versions did.  Will have to figure that one out some time.

• KennyP said thank you

#33 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 11:20 AM

Peppermint is more of a "Cloud-centric" OS so the install is smaller and lighter.  I liked it when I played around with it some time ago.  

• HDWildBill said thank you

#34 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 12:03 PM

Peppermint is more of a "Cloud-centric" OS so the install is smaller and lighter.  I liked it when I played around with it some time ago.  

I also played with it a while back and it was really a nice distro.  I just got tired of Ubuntu based OS and wanted something different.  I may have to load it into a VM and play with it again.

• chieffan said thank you

#35 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 12:03 PM

Will try it some more this afternoon.  I was informed last evening that the time had moved ahead 6 hours which also changed the date on the system.  Had to go back and set that straight again.  Darn little gremlins.

So far with what little I have used Linux, I haven't seen much difference between it and windows.  Different desktop or what ever it is called in Linux but other than that not any speed difference or anything else I have noticed so far.

Edited by chieffan, January 19, 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#36 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 12:35 PM

Using it from the usb or disc will be slower than if it is installed.

I'm wondering if that's why your settings arent there... you're not using an installed version?
  • HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#37 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 12:37 PM

You not going to see much of a speed difference in that you are still using the same hardware and it is the same ISP.  Where you see the difference is You no longer have to pay yearly subscriptions for Anti-virus nor do you have to deal with virus's, malware or spyware (except for tracking cookies).  You also have access to a ton of applications that save you $$$.  Also once you learn more about how Linux works you can customize it far more they you can a Windows desktop.  You can have multiple desktops installed, I have KDE and Mate currently installed.  Also you have multiple work spaces so if you are say researching the history of a tractor and decide you need to write a letter or work on something else you can switch to workspace 2 and you have a clean desktop to work off of.  You can switch back and forth if needed.  I will actually do the reverse and be working on a document or something and need to look something up on the internet so I will switch to another workspace and then open up the browser and find what I'm looking for.  So once you get familiar with Linux you will find a lot of differences.

Since Chieftan was looking at Fedora I thought I might explain a few things about Linux and open source in general.  Open source was founded based on the belief that the source code for software should be open for all to see.  Companies like Microsoft, Apple, Oracle etc are closed source or Proprietary source code.  This normally doesn't affect the normal user just as long as they can do what they want when they want.  But just like in our hobby there are purists' who do not want any proprietary software on their system.  So there are distro's out there Like Fedora which are designed for those who do not wish to have proprietary software.  Also along the same lines there are distro's out there designed for the very technical user like Gentoo, Arch etc.  So what I'm saying is if you are considering to explore what Linux is like, as Chieftan is doing, then please go to the distro's website and read about the distro and learn what their target user is.  Otherwise you are lible to pick one that might not be suited to your skill and then you will think all Linux distro's are like that when in fact they are not.  Linux is all about choice.

• olcowhand, KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#38 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 01:24 PM

That explains a lot of thing HDWildbill.  If installing Linux will work faster and better ewith the mouse setting I will probably just go ahead and install it.  Will start with Mint first to get use to it.  

If I do install it, when do I have the option of which OS I want to use.  GF will stay with W7 and I will want Linux at least part of the time.  How do those options come into play?

#39 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 01:35 PM

As you install Linux it will give you an option to install it alongside windows.  This will trigger the installation program to install a boot manager (Grub).  When you boot your system it will go through it's initial hardware recognition from the Bios then a menu will appear for you to choose which OS you want to boot into.  One thing to keep in mind that Grub has a timer so after so many seconds, I think close to a minute, it will automatically boot into the default OS which is normally windows.  You can change the default but for now I think you would be best to leave it to windows.

#40 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 01:57 PM

OK. Going to give it a shot.

#41 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 02:06 PM

Dumb question.  How do I install it?  Cannot get anything to run from Windows.  Can open folder to bunch of files but no install.

#42 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 02:24 PM

there are two ways.  When you boot the Linux Distro there should be a menu as you boot one of those choices are to install the distro.  The other way is to boot into the distro and then there is usually an icon on the desktop to install it.

#43 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 02:38 PM

Thanks. Will try it again. Had to put new batteries in my weather station. Not enough sun the last week or so to keep them charged up.

#44 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 03:10 PM

found the install button and selected the 4th one - Use LVM - - - -. Started the install. Got a screen saying something about not finding GPT file - may be corrupt or else running GPT under DOS. Had no idea what it was referring to so quit before I lost everything.
Beginning to think this is over my head. To much tech talk and my brain don't compute that lingo.

Did find the mouse settings and got it slowed down to a usable rate. WOW !!!! Also noticed Linux moved the time ahead 6 hours again.

Edited by chieffan, January 19, 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#45 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 04:04 PM

I doubt you have an LVM on your network. That's why you got an error. Basically if you choose the default options you should not have any problems. When it comes to the partitioning choose install along side windows and click the continue button. 

I thought we had a step by step thread on how to install an OS, but I can't find it at the moment and I need to go get ready.  Maybe Travis and I can get together and make up a thread on just what you need to do to install an alternative OS.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks