Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Trying Out Linux This Morning

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 03:05 PM

On the laptop the touch pad is kind of clunky but then mine is old and been through a couple of kids so it might be the touchpad it's self but the external mouse works just fine and I don't notice any difference between it and the windows 7 machine sitting beside it.  What kind of mouse are you all using, USB or PS2?  The windows system has a microsoft explorer, laptop a no name and my main machine a Logtech wireless an I can't see any difference in speed between all 3.  All are USB mice.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#17 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 03:12 PM

Just found these two links.  Maybe they will help but they do require the command line.

https://linuxmintuse...-down-my-mouse/

This one is off the first link:

https://patrickmn.co...in-ubuntu-9-10/

Hope this helps.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 03:15 PM

Both mine are USB. I've gotten used to the speed. Wouldn't know how to put that in anyway!

• HDWildBill said thank you

#19 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 06:15 PM

I can't recall ever having an issue with the mouse moving to fast and I'm using an external mouse in the laptop.  I have had issues with double clicking in KDE.  Ubuntu and Mint both have a device manager (or Ubuntu additional drivers) you might try loading the drives that came with the mouse and see if it that solves the problem.

I have a new cordless mouse so no drivers or anything but the two pieces.  USB receiver and the mouse itself.

Edited by chieffan, January 17, 2016 - 06:17 PM.

#20 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Just found these two links.  Maybe they will help but they do require the command line.

https://linuxmintuse...-down-my-mouse/

This one is off the first link:

https://patrickmn.co...in-ubuntu-9-10/

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link but that is above and beyond my computing ability.  I only run this thing and if I can't put a wrench on it I probably can't fix it. :D   :dancingbanana:   :wave:

#21 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 06:39 PM

The GF uses this computer for a lot of her things.  Not sure she would go for the Linux OS but if she did I know she would really bulk at that mouse speed.  Especially trying ti put that pointer between two letters to add one that was omitted.  Have to resort to using the 4 arrow keys.  I will probably keep playing with it, might try the other two types I have, Peppermint and Fedora.

#22 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 08:38 PM

chieffan has Mint 17.3 MATE as others suggested it is a bit more stable than 17.3 cinnamon which is what I use.  

• chieffan said thank you

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 08:52 PM

I have had about three whole hours on a PCLinuxOS unit.
I like what I've seen so far.

I didnt notice the mouse thing, but I haven't had time to get comfy with it yet.

#24 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 09:09 PM

I just dropped the old Dell XPS M1330 laptop on my wife running LUbuntu for music streaming in her creative space.  She said LUbuntu felt like an old windows install (I am thinking XP).  I can send it to chieffan if he is interested but guess it is a but more difficult to use for anything than basic stuff.  

#25 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 08:47 AM

The ONLY thing I am not happy with on LINUX is the mouse speed.  Hands are swollen big time this morning due to the weather conditions.  Make the mouse that much harder to control.  Just guessing I would say the built that high mouse speed into the program for the lap top guys that have minimal room to use one, or use the  2" square pad to cover a 22" screen.  I use the pad on my lap top when I run manuals for my GT's with no problems but running XP on it.

I may get use to it after I use it more and with the deep freeze we have no should find time to play around with it a lot more.  I have an external hard drive for a lap top I used for a back up several years ago.  Thinking of putting Linux on it for a little faster start up & possibly operation when I get into it more.  Have to round up the cable for it first.  Has split cable to use two ports from the CPU, one for power and one for data, I guess.

• KennyP said thank you

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 09:12 AM

The ONLY thing I am not happy with on LINUX is the mouse speed.  Hands are swollen big time this morning due to the weather conditions.  Make the mouse that much harder to control.  Just guessing I would say the built that high mouse speed into the program for the lap top guys that have minimal room to use one, or use the  2" square pad to cover a 22" screen.  I use the pad on my lap top when I run manuals for my GT's with no problems but running XP on it.

I may get use to it after I use it more and with the deep freeze we have no should find time to play around with it a lot more.  I have an external hard drive for a lap top I used for a back up several years ago.  Thinking of putting Linux on it for a little faster start up & possibly operation when I get into it more.  Have to round up the cable for it first.  Has split cable to use two ports from the CPU, one for power and one for data, I guess.

I just tried something with the mouse speed in Linux. Once at the Mouse & Touchpad page, I moved the acceleration all the way over to fast. Didn't see much improvement. Moved it back to slow and it now takes nearly an inch to move all the way across the screen. Not sure if yours will react the same, but you might give it a try. I also lowered the Sensitivity some.

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#27 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 12:20 PM

My version, or at least the Mint and Ubuntu versions I have only have the double click control that can be changed.  No acceleration or Sensitivity setting in there that I have found.  Haven't tried Peppermint or Fedora yet.  Maybe this afternoon.

Edited by chieffan, January 18, 2016 - 12:21 PM.

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 12:23 PM

Sounds as if the mouse has a driver / program itself? Maybe a setting in it's control panel?

#29 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 01:49 PM

I don't think you will like Fedora, It is strictly open source so no Codecs to run multimedia by default.  You can add them but at this stage I would suggest you not try.

What version of Mint are you trying?  Flavor?  If we are all seeing a speed and sensitivity in Mint then so should you.  I'm working on something else with the laptop at the moment so I can't bring Mint up to see it there is something else you could be possibly looking at.

PS: Get a copy of Zorn or PCLOS and see how it works for you.

• KennyP said thank you

#30 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 03:23 PM

I don't think you will like Fedora, It is strictly open source so no Codecs to run multimedia by default.  You can add them but at this stage I would suggest you not try.

What version of Mint are you trying?  Flavor?  If we are all seeing a speed and sensitivity in Mint then so should you.  I'm working on something else with the laptop at the moment so I can't bring Mint up to see it there is something else you could be possibly looking at.

PS: Get a copy of Zorn or PCLOS and see how it works for you.

Mint 17.3 Mate

I will try a Mint Live install on the crank Dell referenced above and see what I find.

Edited by Trav1s, January 18, 2016 - 03:23 PM.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks