Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I guess I am hooked on this (Quad Copters)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 09:50 PM

I bought my Grandson a small ($20.00) Quad copter for a Christmas stocking stuffer...... Well once I figured out how it worked, I have been playing with it constantly and have become proficient at flying it outside when the winds are 5-15. (Calm or inside works best). I have wanted to hook a camera to a kite for several years but never got around to it. I was searching Quad copters on line and found this gem at the local Toys-R-us. (Sky Viper Streaming Drone) We have successfully connected to my Wife's smart phone and tablet. Now hopefully for a calm day so I can play with this one. I have successfully hovered it around the inside of the shop till the battery ran down to get a feel on how it dies. The little green one quits abruptly and falls from the sky with no warning. The Viper starts blinking it's led lights and looses power gradually, this should allow for a controlled landing..... We will see. Hopefully will be able to post some pictures and vids from this thing.  Yea, I think I am hooked now.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1140867.JPG
  • P1140868.JPG
  • P1140869.JPG

• daytime dave, Gtractor, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,530 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 09:54 PM

My son got a single rotor coptor for Christmas. Sure is fun to run. The battery life isn't much, but it is enjoyed very much.

• larrybl, HANKG and chieffan have said thanks

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,874 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 09:59 PM

I bought one last year for my grandson for Christmas, I guess it was around a hundred or so well my son took it and him for a test flight at a local park and it never came back home with them. hahahahahahahah the end.
  • larrybl, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:00 PM

Those are pretty fun to use.  I got the same Viper one for Christmas myself.  Ran it for probably 2 hours total so far and its a blast.  Managed to get it as high as it will go and you can tell when its out of range of the remote because it will just drop.  And when the battery runs out it slowly starts to come down and will only hover about a foot off the ground for a minute or 2 before shutting off

• larrybl and chieffan have said thanks

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,698 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:00 PM

I want to know who has tried the Millennium Falcon. 

rc-fan-builds-millennium-falcon-drone-uploads-blueprints-for-those-interested-video-91947_1.jpg

• KennyP, diesel nut, chris m and 1 other said thanks

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:07 PM

I bought one last year for my grandson for Christmas, I guess it was around a hundred or so well my son took it and him for a test flight at a local park and it never came back home with them. hahahahahahahah the end.

Yes the viper is around $100.00, but I practiced with the $20.00 copter, and I have lost it a couple times, and am out of spare blades for it. I feel confident enough now to fly the $100.00 one. This is one reason I never got into RC Airplanes. I tried the HF $50.00 one and first flight ended in the top of a tree, second flight nose dived, and that was it. The Quad copters are much more controllable, especially with internal gyros. My ultimate goal is to take aerial pictures, video is a plus!

• chieffan said thank you

#7 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:10 PM

I want to know who has tried the Millennium Falcon. 

Han Solo        :D      ​     Rick

• KennyP, Cat385B and chieffan have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:15 PM

I can see where they would be a lot of fun but very addicting too.  More expensive than GT's ? ?  Would be ideal out where I am as No neighbors for over a mile in all directions.  Could fly with the Eagles.

• larrybl and HANKG have said thanks

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,698 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:23 PM

Han Solo        :D      ​     Rick

Yeah, turned out really well for him:

Harrison Ford injured himself on the set of Lucasfilm and Disney's project in June, 2014. According to sources, he broke his leg in an incident involving the Millennium Falcon.

#10 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • 4,874 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:30 PM

I can see where they would be a lot of fun but very addicting too.  More expensive than GT's ? ?  Would be ideal out where I am as No neighbors for over a mile in all directions.  Could fly with the Eagles.

And you could find it too unlike my son's experience

#11 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 11:28 PM

No, I don't think this will over shadow my GT hobby, but give me something else to play with in-between GT projects and using them. Heck a overhead video of a GT in use is a possibility now!

• KennyP, boyscout862, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 12:53 AM

Single blade for in house I bought and is hard to get handling real good, but got better last year. Haven't even touched it this year. Bought a Bigger one last year, but outside only and wind gets it and trying to fly it in yard not so good. Kept getting it over the house or nearly on roof. Haven't messed with it much either. Rear props keep coming off when landing in grass too hard, heh!  I think but don't know those quads are a little slower and easier to control.  Fella had one at a tractor show in Oct last year and took quite a video of the show and posted later on Wheelhorse and other places.  His had light for low power and that hover at ground a moment feature. Also warns when getting out of range, but is able to come back to launch by itself if things go bad on signal. Quite the rig. I think someday I will have to try one.  They are now making lots of "rules" about them and bet you will need a permit or license soon to even have a drone in future.

• larrybl, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#13 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • 4,874 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 05:56 AM

Yes the viper is around $100.00, but I practiced with the $20.00 copter, and I have lost it a couple times, and am out of spare blades for it. I feel confident enough now to fly the $100.00 one. This is one reason I never got into RC Airplanes. I tried the HF $50.00 one and first flight ended in the top of a tree, second flight nose dived, and that was it. The Quad copters are much more controllable, especially with internal gyros. My ultimate goal is to take aerial pictures, video is a plus!

I do a lot of saltwater fishing and a friend has a $3000 dollar one we take on the boat and send it on scouting missions for tuna, it works great and sends the pictures to the on board computer screen on the boat we have found fish utilizing that thing . It is often out of sight on these missions and knows how far it has travelled and comes back to the boat should the battery get low its crazy.
  • larrybl, JDBrian, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 08:41 AM

In my area it is real rolling with creeks, draws, tree lines & some real rough brush areas. Heart of cow/calf country.  Would work great to send out over the pasture to check the cattle, or to find where a cow decided to calf in the timber some place.  Most of the time they calf real early spring before leaves come on.  Have to mention this to my neighbor as he raise several hundred head of calves every year.  Has three feed carts to keep the cattle fed all winter.  Keep 5 people busy all winter long.

Edited by chieffan, January 17, 2016 - 08:58 AM.

#15 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 09:16 AM

I've looked at them. Especially around xmas. I would like to play with  one but have no real need for it to be useful. They do look like they would be fun. Wonder what the dog would think of it flying around the house?