#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 07:52 PM

My wife has pretty much decided we are getting another dog, guess I'd rather take the dog than a cat she also wants. 

Anyway, a litter of 8 was just born on Thursday at a local rescue and wife has already applied and been approved for adoption  :wallbanging:

I've been doing some research on this breed and sounds like a lot of energy, a 45# Jack Russell energy. Sounds like they can be hard headed, but very smart and trainable with consistency and patience. 

So, anyone own this breed? Any pointers?

Thanks

BullTerrierZola.jpg

BullTerrier.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, January 16, 2016 - 07:52 PM.

• Traill95, oldedeeres and Marty'70 have said thanks

#2 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 08:07 PM

If its anything like a jack Russell get the cat.... :rolling:

• Alc, TAHOE and Marty'70 have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 08:12 PM

If you dont name him spudz Mckenzie then don't get it lol

On a serious note. Me and my ex wife were very into dogs. We had 3 and we "fostered" many dogs. We had one of these for a short time. He was very sweet and loving but he was like a ball of fire without exercise. We had a good sized fenced in yard and we'd turn all the dogs loose and he'd run like a track star for 2 hours..

My advice turn him loose for a couple hours a day to burn off his energy and he should be a good dog.

We had him for 3 or 4 weeks before someone came to see him and adopted him.

I like to pick low energy dogs(like myself)

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 16, 2016 - 08:14 PM.

• oldedeeres, TAHOE and HANKG have said thanks

#4 fogler12538 OFFLINE  

fogler12538
  • Member No: 59557
  • 254 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 09:09 PM

Had a bull terrier when I was a kid. One of the best dogs I ever owned. She loved my brothers and I more than anything. Hated cats tho.
  • Alc, oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:40 PM

All the above are true IMO. Bull terriers are my "heart dog", always wanted one but My Olde Deere didn't, so I've spent lots of time researching them and learning all I can about them. High energy, loyal, intelligent, strong minded, and when their mind is made up, it's made up and that is that. Won't take any crap either, can be tough if provoked, but I'd take one in a heartbeat. When my Tibetans are gone and I move to a smaller breed, it'll be a bull terrier. A white one. What colour are you getting? No question you're getting one, right?    :smilewink:  :smilewink:  :smilewink:

• TAHOE said thank you

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 12:43 AM

If its anything like a jack Russell get the cat

Hey now, go easy on the Jacks. Ours is 8 years old now and I figure in another 7 she is going to be a sweetheart.  :smilewink:

Actually she has been one of the best dogs we have ever owned. She has turned into a real old peoples dog and is 

very sensitive to our feelings. Extremely smart. As with any Terrier it is important to establish the pecking order while they are a pup or they will run you ragged. If a Bull is anything like a Jack your going to love it. 

IMG_0028.JPG

Edited by Cvans, January 17, 2016 - 12:46 AM.

• oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks

#7 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,034 Thanks
  • 770 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 06:40 AM

Don't let him snuggle up to the wife to much.He'll steal her and they'll both be plotting against you!

• KennyP, Cvans, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 08:35 AM

Little back story, my wife has always liked the Bulls, and said she would get one some day. Of course, they can be expensive and I like my Boxers so we have stuck with those. Our cat Charlie (Cornish Rex) passed suddenly in Aug, he had a mid grade heart murmor. Vet told us he could live 15 yrs or jump off of something and be dead when he hit floor, my mom found him on her bathroom floor apparantly he was drinking out of sink and jumped down. He had a personality of no other cat I've seen. Cornish Rex are also somewhat hypo allergenic, the main reason we go him from my breeder friend and they are really expensive and hard to get so another one is probably out. My wife has been looking at new cats, I've told her she will never replace him and I ended up being the one always cleaning litter box anyway.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, my BIL adopted a pup from local adoption center in the summer, my wife follows them on FB. They posted they had a Bull Terrier brought in, 2-3 yr old pregnant female who was bred to another Bull. Puppies were born this past Thursday so here we go. 

When my wife gets it in her head, sometimes it easier for me to throw up my hands and walk away. Our other 2 are getting older so she rationalizes a replacement. This will be one we can also afford. 

Lorin, not sure of colors, we have not seen pics of the pups yet, mom is a brindle. I know white seems to be a favorite, but not really our taste and they do have about a 20 % deaf rate, just like white Boxers.

Yea, its pretty definite we will be getting one. Mom is also available, but 'm not sure I want to deal with her habits, I can train a pup.

Chris, nothing against Jacks, I have always heard they are like a non stop jumping box, sounds like Bulls are they same way so I was comparing. 

Karl, my animals do not get on beds, chairs, etc so no problems there. My son and I are the animal people in the house, my wife got "her"  Mini Schnauzer 10 yrs ago, dog's favorite person is my son LOL. I will be doing most of training so I am seeing any new dog will be more like mine......ssshhhhhh don't tell her LOL

• KennyP, Cvans, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 10:23 AM

Chris, nothing against Jacks,

I was just having a little fun with you. At our age I'm not sure I would get another one. They are full of energy and even though they don't have a lot of fur they do shed more than you'd think. 

Whatever you get I hope you have a lot of fun with it. And please post some photos.

• TAHOE said thank you

#10 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 10:26 AM

I have a pit, and a terrier . That terrier has tons of energy. I imagine the bull terrier would have tons of energy also
  • TAHOE said thank you

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 08:33 AM

Without further adieu, meet the new "pup"...... :wallbanging:

20160213_141319.jpg

I made the decision to let her get a cat instead, wife was wanting one over a dog anyway.

Few factors,

1. Already litter boxed trained, no 3 am going outside

2. No whining cause it is separated from momma

3. No chewing on everything for first 1-2 yrs.

4. My mom misses both the cat we suddenly lost in Aug and she lost her 14 yr old dog Friday. I think a new lap cat will help her more than a dog. With a cat, she can't spoil it as much as a dog, she has ruined my Boxer haha.

He is a Russian Blue and named Finneas. He is supposed to be somewhat hypoallergenic so guess we will see. 

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 08:58 AM

Looks like he has good 'static' electricity in him! Stuck to that blanket real good!

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#13 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 09:21 AM

is he magnetic?

• KennyP said thank you

#14 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 608 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 09:23 AM

That's a good looking cat, my cat disappeared about 2 months ago and we're just waiting til after we move to get another one.

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 09:51 AM

Yea, stupid cell phone turns my pics every time I attach them :wallbanging:

I'm not a cat person, but makes mom, wife and daughter happy so guess I will live with it..

He has almost no fear of our dogs. he stalks out Boxer and attacks him. He tries it with our Min Schnauzer, but she goes into her terrier mode and goes after him, but not too aggressive that we have to worry, he is still leary of her though.

Thankfully, unlike our Cornish Rex we had, he is relatively quite. The Cornish meowed all the time at like 90 decibals

Edited by TAHOE, February 15, 2016 - 09:53 AM.

• KennyP said thank you