• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 12:19 PM

Not allowed to burn stuff in barrels in my area any more. The nuts, oops, I mean environment people don't like all the toxic smoke , or what ever it is, but they still get in cars, planes, boats, all that pleasure stuff. I guess they think thats ok. Sorry for the rant. I drive cars, trucks and tractors, so I guess I'm no better than them.

Noel
  • Gtractor and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 02:40 PM

Not allowed to burn stuff in barrels in my area any more. The nuts, oops, I mean environment people don't like all the toxic smoke , or what ever it is, but they still get in cars, planes, boats, all that pleasure stuff. I guess they think thats ok. Sorry for the rant. I drive cars, trucks and tractors, so I guess I'm no better than them.

Noel

Same here in NY, only thing that can be burned is waste (brush, vegetation and the like) that originated on the property.

• propane1 said thank you

#18 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 06:18 PM

I used to use those 55 gallon barrels but they fill up too quick and the rust out soon.  We burn 100% of our trash with the exception of the pop cans.  Glass jars and soup can metal,  whatever there is, it all goes in.

Solved the problems of the small barrels by switching to 300 fuel barrels that are more than twice as thick [longer lasting] and actually cheaper.  Metal 55gal barrels around here sell for $15 and up on Craigslist because of the demand.  At farm auctions I can get an old 300 gallon fuel barrel for $2.50 or $5, sometimes less.  Not much demand for them.

Here is my current one.  The lid is from a 350 gallon barrel that I used until it rotted out near the bottom.  Since the lid is slightly larger, no rain gets inside, providing I remember to close it after a burn.  :mad2:  The lid is a realitively new feature but I figure keeping the rain out will significantly extend the life of the barrel.  Plus if its too windy and dry to burn I can just throw in the trash bag and let it set until its safer to burn.  The 350 gallon barrel lasted just shy of 10 years with no lid.  Rain-wet ashes never dry and accelerate the rusting process. Plus they make the barrel unbearably heavy.

When I first put a lid on I designed a hinged, flip over lid.   It was heavy an the MRS is short so that didn't work too good.  This barrel is about as tall as her and then to flip open the lid made it near impossible for her to operate.  She got it over center one time and just let-er go - bending the barn door hinge and lid. 

Decided I'd redesign the lid.... :deadhorse:

Made this slide-open job with a removable arm for the lid to rest on when open.  No lifting involved and the MRS can operate it - no problem.  I like the slide lid much better too because it has a bolt with a cotter pin holding it on for easy removal for dumping. 

Even with dry ashes and unburnables inside, this thing is pretty heavy when its ready to be dumped.  I dump it more often than needed to keep better airflow for more complete burning.   4 times a year is about right for dumping our ashes and buildup.

When its time to dump, if I don't already have the caryall on the Ferguson farm tractor I use my pickup with the Tommy-Gate liftgate.   A short ride down to the brush pile on the back 40 and its ready for another 3 months of use.

burn.jpg

• MH81, MFDAC and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#19 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 06:45 PM

The big problem with papers is they require slow loading and constant attention. If they bunch to much, they don't burn (air can't get to it.
Think of books you've seen from houses that burnt... Scorched covers, burnt edges, but readable pages.

I just hand loaded two banker boxes of old tax records into the last can. It was a boring afternoon.

For anywhere near that much, I would call one of these fine folk
http://www.yellowpag...ument-shredding

She has an issue about taking stuff to this shredder, not sure why, besides I have been told that outfit is very expensive. Only one around. She will be the one having the boring time feeding papers! Sounds like it will take several weekends and getting a few in a row without wind blasting will be unlikely---we will see what happens if we ever get out of the deep freeze.

Thanks for the link, Alan!

DAC

• MH81 said thank you

#20 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 10:07 AM

Fancy work for something you are just going ot set on fire. 

I am going to have to replace my burn barrel. After 4 years of use Heath kicked it and put his foot through the side of it. LOL. I have 3 other drums but I have to cut the tops off them.