Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Kohler tear-down...Need good Welder, heh!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 06:59 PM

Went into shop today to see about the Kohler V-twin in a PK I bought. 20hp. I got that bolt out for the driveshaft. tapped a metric allen in it and came right out, no slip, not even that tight. So, started to take off housing and get mice out. Not as much in there as thought, just one side really. No skeletons like sometimes found. Engine was stuck, but while flywheel ring was exposed I tried to pry against case and move. It did, but just tiny amount. Then worked back and forth a little, getting more each time. Could then turn by hand some, but not go all the way around. Was noticing funny movement in flywheel and realized it was wobbly, not good I think. Tore off tins, or about anything on outside. Pulled valve covers and they went up/down when crank moved. Got heads off and one side full of water, the other just kinda rusty. Pulled the flywheel. By now, cranks is really wobbly, yet went around fair amount. Had to sand clean the cylinders to get pistons to move up and out. I took the main case cover off and problem became clear. One rod was broken along it's length, yet the other bolt was keeping it on the crank. The one half of crank with the shaft lifted right out!! Well, got rods off and pushed pistons out, then other crank half came out too. Need a good welder to fix that, ha! Later was cleaning up the parts to put away and found the case cover was cracked in couple places at main bearing area...SO......not so good for this engine. Not sure I will ever fix or not, but will be parts for my other two like it I guess. We'll see in summer. Took a shot of the Cam gear in this thing, pretty big item. Valves have lifters as big as a car V-8. Heads look ok probly with cleaning, the pistons had the rings stuck in them, still are even after cleaning. Was my first look at bigger new kohlers, interesting time.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160116_171814.jpg
  • 20160116_171806.jpg
  • 20160116_171518.jpg
  • 20160116_171545.jpg
  • 20160116_171528.jpg
  • 20160116_171609.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, January 16, 2016 - 07:03 PM.

• Alc, Chris11, Traill95 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 07:15 PM

I don't think that one is rebuildable!

• limebuzz, Chris11, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 943 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 07:42 PM

I agree with Kenny. It had to much damage to repair. It must of had so much water in the cylinder and froze it pushed the crank so far to break it. That's one of the worst one I've seen.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 08:57 PM

Well I have to apologize about all that Gary. When I bought it, we put a wrench on the front of crank and I turned it just enough to think it was not locked up and everything was okay.  I never pulled plugs out and motor was always covered at my house. Guess guy pulled a fast one on me and I unknowingly past it onto you. Really sorry that motor is trashed, I figured I could easily get it started, guess I should have done a more thorough examine when I bought it. 

• JDBrian and chieffan have said thanks

#5 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,160 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 08:58 PM

The only one I ever saw worse than that ,was one that came apart while huffing laughing gass at 10k.
  • JDBrian and chieffan have said thanks

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 09:15 PM

Whew.  thats a mess.

Can you imagine the forces required to do that?

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:10 PM

Wonder how loud that was when it went?

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 12:04 AM

When an engine breaks in the garage, who hears it?? Hee!  I didn't hear a thing myself! Another Hee!  Oh, well at least I have another to put in it's place.

• MH81 said thank you

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 01:34 PM

Frozen, huh.  I'm sure it would have blown apart more if was running I guess.  You guys think block is at risk then? I'll have to clean it up sometime and check for cracks. Can't see with seal in it if it has bushing or just machined block at crank. Should I also measure for oval bores?  My local shop has that magnaflux for steel, but guess alum it won't work.  I have never seen one of these as a parts engine at shows I hit, thinking it is too new.  I was thinking a new case cover, a crank and rods/pistons and should go back together. You don't think so?  Anyway, that would be WAY OUT on back burner, but gotta have a virtual plan on next step at least. One thing that amazed me was all the fins on it, even on the main block below.  All the tins covering everything, must be hard to keep these cool. I know the tractor manuals don't recommend removing any tins when istalled because air flow needs to be quick. They are always in way when needing to work on things, I really don't like them buttoned up like that.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 02:21 PM

I would think a good machine shop could check for cracks, after all, a lot of newer engines/heads are aluminum.

• Chopperhed said thank you