• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,014 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 05:22 PM

Hi all, for my next project I' thinking of building a sprayer for the PK, like the factory kit, I know fellow member Username had one for sale but I dilly dattled deciding if I should buy it then when I decided to it was sold anyway i'm going to build one, 1 question is does anyone know how big the pulley was on the pump? I'm thinking 4 -5"  question 2  was there a belt tightener on the pump or did it run all the time?

• chieffan said thank you

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 06:43 PM

Why mess with a PTO drive pump?  Get an electric sprayer pump and your farm and home store and be done with it.  Much simpler, cheaper and more reliable.

• Gtractor and MNGB have said thanks

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,014 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 06:49 PM

Hi chieffan, while that's all true I want to build one close to the PK original, I have a nice little gear pump, and nice ploy barrel for the tank a pressure regulator spray nozzles etc. Do I need another sprayer probably  not but there's still a lot of winter left  :dancingbanana:   

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 08:12 PM

What is the factory set up? I've been thinking about a front boom/ rear tank set up for my SCUT.

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,014 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 08:41 PM

Hi Cat385B, I'll post a manual of one of the sprayers that were sold, it has the option of having the boom in the rear or in front of the front wheels which I think would be good. How cold is it down your way it been about -8 or more here all day.

Attached File  PK Sprayer.pdf   1.16MB   45 downloads

• Alc said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 09:57 PM

Wow, I like how there is three different options on where to mount the boom. When I saw the drum, I didn't think it would be mounted horizontally. Very compact design.

It's the same here, 5-8 below all day, gonna be -15° in the morning.

• MNGB said thank you

#7 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,014 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 01:43 PM

Hi all, after a cold weekend I went into the shop this morning and tried figuring out about building this spray I was thinking an it looks like plan "A" is out as it plan "A"1. Chieffan I'm thinking your way go with the 12 V electric pump checked out what that involved and priced out the components (plan"A"1) and have come to the conclusion that I might just go to plan"B"

http://www.fleetfarm...r/0000000063623

when its all said and done I would be lucky to save $60.00 and would have lots of work into fabricating one and then it would be the trips to town to get the parts I never seem to get everything in one trip, the 40 gal 3 pt unit would be one trip to the store and its done except to assemble  and hitch it up.  Will see but its got me leaning that way.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,014 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 06:46 PM

Hi all well I didn't spend the money at Fleet Farm for a 3 PT sprayer, and I need to do something with a the excellent crop of dandelions that came this year. I really like the idea for a 3 pt mounted sprayer so I got busy and fabricated a 3 pt platform to mount the 30 gal trailer sprayer I have. I think its going to work out pretty good I haven't modified or cut up anything so it could be put back as a trailer sprayer.  Just got the platform welded up and temp mounted the tank this afternoon. This is what I have so far.

HPIM2493.JPG HPIM2494.JPG HPIM2495.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#9 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,014 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 07:25 PM

Hi all, well its been 3+ weeks since the carpal tunnel surgery and I'm back in the shop on light duty, (actually its rally nice to have relatively pain free hands / wrists) anyway been busy working on the remake of the Fimco trailer sprayer to a 3 pt one. Things are progressing nicely have most of the parts fabricated and painted and some assembly done here' pics of what's done.

HPIM2500.JPG HPIM2501.JPG HPIM2502.JPG HPIM2503.JPG HPIM2504.JPG

• Alc, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 11:21 PM

Coming together nicely. Glad your surgery went well & your recooperating good.
  • MNGB said thank you

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,014 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 06:35 PM

Well the sprayer is finished for the most part, going to replace the hose connector gaskets and try another type of nozzles but had it out and drove back and forth on the paved street in front of the shop spraying water to see what the pattern looked like and it is satisfactory. One thing I have to do is make up a switch box and install it on this PK as its a bummer trying to disconnect the electrical plug in to stop the spray pump :smilewink:

HPIM2505.JPG HPIM2506.JPG HPIM2508.JPG HPIM2509.JPG HPIM2510.JPG HPIM2507.JPG

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,014 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 06:54 PM

Hi All, well this afternoon I put the 3 pt sprayer on the 1614 filled the tank and gave it a try, boy do I like it put 30 gals of spray mix in the tank went to the runway and strarted spraying soon figured out I needed to be in 3rd gear with the throttle just about full open but it went good and got that sprayed and a couple of other areas sprayed. Tomorrow will cut the mix in half and use 2nd gear to do the smaller areas, all in all I very happy with how the sprayer works as to what kind of a job I did actually killing the weeds will be known in a week or so.

• Alc and Cat385B have said thanks

#13 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 07:36 PM

Why mess with a PTO drive pump? Get an electric sprayer pump and your farm and home store and be done with it. Much simpler, cheaper and more reliable.

Not to get off topic, but some of us are fans of PTO sprayer pumps...

Back to the topic at hand, your skid sprayer looks well done and should serve you well.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • MNGB said thank you