9 replies to this topic

#1 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 12:45 PM

So I have recently purched a digital tach from Amazon made by hardline to teach hours and set my rpm at WOT. I was guessing the motor was running around 3200 rpm at WOT, turn out that the tach is reading 2920.

My questions are, how accurate are those tach, (I payed $44 can. Hoping it would work better than the $15 one.)

Second. I have adjusted the main needle and the tractor runs steady, I also tried adjusting the throttle plate linkage without much change in rpm. Should I be changing the hole that the spring sits in? Which hole should it typically run in. Any other suggestions to getting the motor to run at 3600 rpm, (if the tach is reading correct) which I am guessing it is.

#2 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 01:49 PM

Go to the manuals section http://gardentractor...ice-manual-ocr/. Start on page 5.2

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160116_134613_hdr_kindlephoto-7504432.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Alc, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 02:08 PM

Your only 300 off.  I would not worry about it.  That engine will run a lot longer running 300 rpm under the specified top that it will running at top RPM.  I don't run any of my older engines at WOT.  Always back then down about 10%.  If I ran as many miles as they probably have I would appreciate the little extra cushion too. :wave:   :thumbs:   :dancingbanana:

Edited by chieffan, January 16, 2016 - 02:09 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#4 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 02:29 PM

Your only 300 off.  I would not worry about it.  That engine will run a lot longer running 300 rpm under the specified top that it will running at top RPM.  I don't run any of my older engines at WOT.  Always back then down about 10%.  If I ran as many miles as they probably have I would appreciate the little extra cushion too. :wave:   :thumbs:   :dancingbanana:

Good advice, AA you've stated that your engine seems tired, I set all mine at 3600 WOT and seldom run them there, exception is sno casting where to me every RPM counts especially with trying to cast the heavy stuff, I only used my two stage on a 23 one winter and I don't recall but I believe it was ran at WOT.

I'll add that my engines have been gone over ,checked , some rebuilt and all with compression in the 120-130 range, 130 being as new on rebuilt or very low hour units
  • blackjackjakexxix and AA Hayes have said thanks

#5 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:03 PM

Thanks guys.

Just out of my own curiosity I am going to check my compression tomorrow. I am also going to check to see which hole the spring is sitting in. I would like to have it running close to 3600 and be able to run it back and have the extra power for the short periods it can be needed, such as the end of the driveway with a large bank of heavy snow. It does throw the snow well right now running at 2900 rpm.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#6 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 11:45 PM

Just remember that the engines in our GT's were intended to be run at WOT. They are air-cooled, and running them at low rpm's may sometimes result in insufficient cooling, and resultant damage to the engine So for those of you that think running them just off idle for long periods is doing the engine a favor, think again and act accordingly.

• blackjackjakexxix, ClassicBolens and AA Hayes have said thanks

#7 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 08:56 AM

3,600 - 2,920 = 680
Your running a two stage blower on an HT 20.
I think 680 rpm's is worth getting?
I don't know how if, as you say the throttle plate is wide open.
Perhaps a tune up and valve adjustment.
Let us know how your compression tests.

Joe
  • blackjackjakexxix, AA Hayes and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#8 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 11:34 AM

Both side tested 110psi and held pressure. It is hard to tell without taking the heat shield off, (which I don't have time to do right now) but it looks like the spring is in hole 3 not hole 4 of the speed control bracket. I am hopefully going to have time do look at that this afternoon before it gets to cold out.

Yes I a, running the two stage, it does surprisingly well at 2900. Though I would like to be running the tractor at 3400 and have the option to hit 3600 when needed.
I think with it testing at 110 psi I won't have an issue achieving that with a proper tuning and set up.
Also, since adding the MMO and moving my pcv hose to where it should be located I am using less oil.

Edited by AA Hayes, January 17, 2016 - 11:38 AM.

• Alc, blackjackjakexxix and Rock farmer have said thanks

#9 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 11:58 AM

Just remember that the engines in our GT's were intended to be run at WOT. They are air-cooled, and running them at low rpm's may sometimes result in insufficient cooling, and resultant damage to the engine So for those of you that think running them just off idle for long periods is doing the engine a favor, think again and act accordingly.

Also consider lower RPM's aren't doing your hydro any favors if working your tractor, I'm generally in the 3/4 + throttle range when plowing snow and WOT with blowing heavy or deep snow.

Both side tested 110psi and held pressure. It is hard to tell without taking the heat shield off, (which I don't have time to do right now) but it looks like the spring is in hole 3 not hole 4 of the speed control bracket. I am hopefully going to have time do look at that this afternoon before it gets to cold out.
Yes I a, running the two stage, it does surprisingly well at 2900. Though I would like to be running the tractor at 3400 and have the option to hit 3600 when needed. I think with it testing at 110 psi I won't have an issue achieving that with a proper tuning and set up.
Also, since adding the MMO and moving my pcv hose to where it should be located I am using less oil.

110 PSI IMO is a solid number it may improve with a good de-carboning of heads and valves and then valve adjustments when you have time , Kohler states 90 as cut off in manual I believe. Try adjusting it per manual settings and go from there
  • blackjackjakexxix, Rock farmer, ClassicBolens and 1 other said thanks

#10 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 07:06 PM

I have got the tractor running at 3540 smoothly with a load. Throws the snow like a machine! Still bogs a little bit while blowing the banks back at the road. Going to fine tune the carb to -10c tonight while I ran it the temp was -20c. I think it should run smoothly from 0 degree to -20c. We shall see with the next snow fall we get.

Thanks for all the advise on this and with the pcv valve/line and the MMO.

I'll post some pictures of her and maybe a video of her working if my wife has some free time away from our baby next time I am clearing the driveway.
  • LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks