Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Installing a 1980s sears six speed tranny into a 79 gt 18...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 11:43 AM

Ok so some guys were wondering if this could be done, the transmission is pretty much the same I did it yesterday. Here is what you need to do. The 80s gt 18 has a wider frame as we all know. Discard the spacers that were in the newer frame you don't need them. You need to take your old pulley for the drive and cut the spot welds off. Your old pulley has about a 3/4" dish flip the pulley around to so it is dished the opposite way and re weld it back on . You can then put the pulley on the newer transmission. After you do that the hi/lo shaft is longer on the newer transmission. Push it in the whole way and push the shaft in on your old one the whole way. Measure the distance from the case to where the hole is for the pin on the hi lo lever on the shaft. Mark that distance on the new transmission and drill a hole for the pin then cut the slit in it deeper with a grinder. After that it's ready to go and will bolt right in. The only difference is the drive pulley shaft on the new one has a little shoulder for reinforcement on the case the old one doesn't but it doesn't affect anything. Once you flip the pulley the belt is lined up very good. I imagine this will also work on surburban, ss, and St models. Being you can find a newer 80s six speed for cheaper than a transmission most times . This is a good way to go. Note cutting the hi lo shaft may not be necessary I read last night they unscrew out of the case but it was after I modified mine. So it would be something to try first. I hope this helps someone else.
  • rustyoldjunk, Gtractor, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 11:48 AM

Good info to pass along!

• Tecumseh power said thank you

#3 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 11:56 AM

Good info to pass along!

haha kenny I know I post alot of gt 18 stuff I got five of them now and I have a newer one that has the body style like your full feature, I like all tractors I haven't been looking for gt 18 tractors that's just all I find!!! All mine have the tecumseh oh180s, too. There is another one up the road from me I'm going to try to make an offer on in the spring. It also has the oh180. Must be something in the water here that made everyone buy them. I did find a custom 10xl one day for 20 bucks! That's my next project . I don't know why there are so many gts around here. But I do like the sears they are styled nice I like the rear fenders
  • rustyoldjunk and KennyP have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 01:18 PM

yes the hi/lo pin does screw out thankfully lol

I kinda crushed the end of the pin when I dropped the body down on my SS14.It was about an inch longer than the original one.I used a tranny out of a 14/6.It has the splined hubs and needle bearings on the gear set.Old transaxle had Keyed hubs and brass bushings.I did not have to modify the pulley on the 14/6 transaxle to use the SS14 pulley.

The newer transaxles case is a bit thinner than the old ones so they beefed up the Bosses to keep them from blowing out.

So far I love how quiet and smooth mine is compared to the old one.My planetary gears on the diff were all pitted up from it having about 1/2 gallon of water in it.

Do your self a favor and replace the rubber Shifter seal/boot and put 1 gallon of fresh 30wt oil in the rear.Some people put 80/90 gear oil in there's but that's to thick for winter use.

Sears still sells the seals for them.I put new axle seals in mine even though they were not leaking yet ($3 each btw) and a new shifter seal.

Here's the shifter seal $3.25

http://www.searspart...47/1509200.html

• rustyoldjunk and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 01:21 PM

I will be getting new Hubs for mine since the 14/6 had aluminum hubs with steel center splines and oinly 3 of the 5 lugs tapped.I'll swap them out when they break.

• Tecumseh power said thank you

#6 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 02:02 PM

I didn't know it unscrewed until after I did it I read about it last night
  • EricFromPa said thank you