12 replies to this topic

#1 70sgreatestrockbands@gmail OFFLINE  

70sgreatestrockbands@gmail
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 79744
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:57 AM

My 1987 Craftsman GT6000 has problems withe the mower deck. When I hook the belt from the front PTO to the mower deck, and turn the PTO on, it runs for about 3 seconds then the belt flies off the deck's pulley. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm the same one who posted the choke problem.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 11:04 AM

What condition is the belt in? Worn? Stretched? Got the 917.??????? # for this machine?

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 11:07 AM

What condition is the belt in? Worn? Stretched? Got the 917.??????? # for this machine?

:ditto:

Model would help us

Are you using an OEM spec belt and have all sheaves aligned and checked for worn idlers missing guards ect?

• KennyP said thank you

#4 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 11:32 AM

Not a whiz on this subject but, experience has me suspecting a bad belt, worn mule drive pulley bearing, not routed through guard correctly.

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 12:17 PM

I bet loose idler bearings also, BUT, don't throw away those rod like belt guards that keep belts on pulleys, specially when loose! You have to remove sometimes to get bet over pulleys and many people just bend them back and never fix back in place, or leave off.  These shouldn't effect running tho. Alignment?  You should really find or buy a Manual for your tractor with all the questions you have. Owner's and Parts both. Sears should have available at www.searsparts.com or maybe even on here are some. Need to use your model number to find.

#6 70sgreatestrockbands@gmail OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 12:19 PM

Belt is original, but in mint condition, and no I don't know the number. The tag fell off along time ago.  

#7 70sgreatestrockbands@gmail OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 12:23 PM

I bet loose idler bearings also, BUT, don't throw away those rod like belt guards that keep belts on pulleys, specially when loose! You have to remove sometimes to get bet over pulleys and many people just bend them back and never fix back in place, or leave off.  These shouldn't effect running tho. Alignment?  You should really find or buy a Manual for your tractor with all the questions you have. Owner's and Parts both. Sears should have available at www.searsparts.com or maybe even on here are some. Need to use your model number to find.

The pulleys or idlers have no bearings, just axels that slide through the holes on the pulleys. And, there was never a belt guard on it.

• Phluphy said thank you

#8 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 12:58 PM

70sgreatestrockbands@gmail, on 16 Jan 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

The pulleys or idlers have no bearings, just axels that slide through the holes on the pulleys. And, there was never a belt guard on it.

Suggest you take the mule drive apart to thoroughly understand what you have there.  There are bearing surfaces.  The pulleys have to be replaced if the hole or axle is worn.  Also there is an alternate hole in the housing, i.e. lower than the OEM mounting hole.  [attachment=18

2428:Idler.JPG] Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• Idler.JPG

Edited by Phluphy, January 16, 2016 - 12:59 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and 70sgreatestrockbands@gmail have said thanks

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 01:00 PM

An original belt from 1987 will not be 'mint', it will be stretched at best. What size is the deck on your mower? Maybe even post a picture of it along with the width measurement, and then we can figure out the original belt size.

As far as the pulleys go, go through each one with the belt off. Give it a spin, check for side to side play around the bolt or spindle shaft, check for wobble, and listen for any noise or feel for resistance in the bearings on the spindles. 

• Bolens 1000 and MH81 have said thanks

#10 70sgreatestrockbands@gmail OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 01:42 PM

An original belt from 1987 will not be 'mint', it will be stretched at best. What size is the deck on your mower? Maybe even post a picture of it along with the width measurement, and then we can figure out the original belt size.

As far as the pulleys go, go through each one with the belt off. Give it a spin, check for side to side play around the bolt or spindle shaft, check for wobble, and listen for any noise or feel for resistance in the bearings on the spindles. 

Well, the thing is, the mower was used a lot by my grandpa, and he never replaced or changed anything, no oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, or belts. But after he was too old to mow, he left it in a barn. It stayed there for more than 12 years, and when I finally got my hand on it, the belt was all stuffed up in the idlers. So it wasn't really stretched. And when I took the belt out, I looked to see for any wear and tear, and nothing but the tiniest chunk missing out of it. But overall, it in very very good shape. I have another belt for it, but I din't see any reason in replacing the on I've got on it now. 

Edited by 70sgreatestrockbands@gmail, January 16, 2016 - 01:43 PM.

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 02:56 PM

I would say that belt has definitely seen better days if its original, belts do not always flake off or break in half they wear on the sides causing them to fit loose in the sheaves. Belts only have a shelf life of 10-12 years before they start to break down internally. 

With you mentioning the belt tangled in the idlers when you found it , it sounds like he was having the same issue your having now.......

On a side note,

Have you changed out the oil and filter since starting it up?

• Phluphy said thank you

#12 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 07:11 PM

Concur with Bolens 1000: I'd go through that tractor with a fine tooth comb, considering your description of the situation. New filters i.e. air and gas.  Change the oil and if necessary probably wouldn't hurt to get it warmed up for a while and drain the oil again.  Those engines are nearly bullet proof if they are taken care of.

Wouldn't hurt to drain the trans oil and refill also.  The plug is on the bottom and have to remove the left rear wheel to get to the fill plug. While you're at that point you may want to check the brake lining also.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 07:44 PM

As for maintenance, there are times when we all let it slide and I'm certain Grandpa had days he wasnt up to it.

I feel more that way each year.

I would look the routing over again and seriously consider replacing the belt with a new OEM one.

Thinner aftermarkets that ride low will alter RPM's

Thicker aftermarkets that ride high will alter RPM's and be more apt to not stay put.

Grandpa sounds as if he's not around to ask what problems he was having... if that's the case, I'm sorry.  

Only other alternative is to jump in the Tardis and go back to witness. ( Yes, I noticed your avatar)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1987, craftsman, mower deck, problems