#16 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 08:59 PM

I really did not want another 990 but I seems it is too much for me to let another one go to the scrap yard. I think you see the same beauty in these that I see.

sure do! didnt want it to get scrapped. I hate seeing any old tractor scrapped.

• VTXrider and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 02:30 PM

I agree their like orphans they all need a good home running or not.
  • VTXrider said thank you

#18 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 12:43 PM

Taking a look at the engine. First thing is to remove the shroud and clean the stinking mouse nest out. The magneto checked good with .8 ohms primary and 5k ohms secondary. It had new points and condenser but very weak spark. Cleaned the contacts and all mounting surfaces of the condenser and points and got a strong spark. Set the points at .020. Poured gas into the carb while cranking and it fired and will continue to run if gas is dripped in. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg

• sacsr, Rock farmer and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#19 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 05:32 PM

A few hours working on the engine has it starting and running nicely. The carb needed cleaning and a high speed needle. Took two tear downs and cleaning to get it working. Changed the oil and it has a new air filter. Found the numbers on the shroud below the carb and it is a 1972.

Checked the starter generator for output and installed a new belt. Checked the hydro and it moves forward and reverse but the linkage is sloppy. The lift cylinder is broken and leaks, no movement but oil spits out when using the lift valve.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg

Edited by VTXrider, January 29, 2016 - 05:36 PM.

• sacsr, Sawdust and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#20 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 08:46 PM

A few hours working on the engine has it starting and running nicely. The carb needed cleaning and a high speed needle. Took two tear downs and cleaning to get it working. Changed the oil and it has a new air filter. Found the numbers on the shroud below the carb and it is a 1972.

Checked the starter generator for output and installed a new belt. Checked the hydro and it moves forward and reverse but the linkage is sloppy. The lift cylinder is broken and leaks, no movement but oil spits out when using the lift valve.

The main reason we didnt buy it was we were worried about what could be wrong with the motor from all that sitting.

#21 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 11:52 PM

How do you like the pepper shaker mufflers on the 990. I have a stack on mine although it looks good it's louder than I expected. I have a PS on my Sears SS15 & it sounds good...a real nice solid sound.

#22 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 07:00 AM

How do you like the pepper shaker mufflers on the 990. I have a stack on mine although it looks good it's louder than I expected. I have a PS on my Sears SS15 & it sounds good...a real nice solid sound.

It is loud but not obnoxious. Pointing it down and forward helps somewhat. Price is the determining factor for me.

• Sawdust said thank you

#23 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 07:17 AM

The main reason we didnt buy it was we were worried about what could be wrong with the motor from all that sitting.

I believe it was outside for only a few months because the mouse nest was fresh and the fan shroud was not rusted through on the bottom. The carb fuel inlet had a mud dobber nest plugging it.

These old machines are a bit risky to buy for sure. To me, it is worth a couple hundred bucks to take a chance it will be worth bringing home.

• sacsr and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#24 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 07:28 PM

I believe it was outside for only a few months because the mouse nest was fresh and the fan shroud was not rusted through on the bottom. The carb fuel inlet had a mud dobber nest plugging it.

These old machines are a bit risky to buy for sure. To me, it is worth a couple hundred bucks to take a chance it will be worth bringing home.

Always a gamble. Glad you got it going. Did ya get the steering bracket re welded yet?

#25 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 03:03 PM

I moved the 3pt hitch over to the 78'. It needed heat to free up the threaded couplers and chased the threads with a cleaning die. All of the holes in the parts and the pins are like new so this machine did not work in a garden. Probably just used for mowing because the scissors lift carriage is very worn.

The steering wheel is frozen onto the shaft. Using Kroil to loosen it and I get to use my new puller to get it off. No movement yet.

Took the front axle off and welded the broken piece on the spindle back in place. There are good bearings in the hubs, they have been replaced. All of the linkage rod ends are bad and the drag link is bent. I have a replacement tie rod and drag link. There is some wear in the spindle king pin holes of the axle.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg
  • Image 02.jpg
  • Image 03.jpg

Edited by VTXrider, January 31, 2016 - 03:07 PM.

• sacsr, Rock farmer and Sawdust have said thanks

#26 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 07:05 PM

That's looks like a good steering wheel.
I'd try automatic transmission fluid, if the Kroil does not seem to be doing it.
As you know, patience is a virtue

Joe

#27 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Yes

That's looks like a good steering wheel.
I'd try automatic transmission fluid, if the Kroil does not seem to be doing it.
As you know, patience is a virtue

Joe

Yes, the steering wheel has no cracks in it. Thanks for the tip using ATF..

• Rock farmer said thank you

#28 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 02:59 PM

Success with removing the steering wheel. One week of Kroil once a day and it let loose today after a few wacks of a hammer on the lead screw. :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg

• sacsr and Rock farmer have said thanks

#29 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 11:09 AM

The front axle is completed. The hub bearings greased, wheels cleaned up with new tires, rod ends new on the drag link, thrust bearings added to the spindle king pins. I may install this axle on my 1980 work machine along with the heavy rear hubs.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg

• KennyP, sacsr, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#30 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 10:11 AM

Ended up putting this front axle on the 78' along with the steering wheel. This machine may sit on the sidelines for a while after I clean up the chassis.

• Rock farmer said thank you