• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 08:20 AM

Noel, It's worth a try. I would lower the tire pressure until you get some side wall flex. That way you will have a bit more give in the treads and it may help put more rubber around the screw in contact with the surface. We are expecting about 20cm here today and tonight with some freezing rain in the mix. On top of what we got Tue. it's starting to look quite wintery here. It's bringing back bad memories of last years record snow fall and the mess it made of driving in the city. 

• propane1 said thank you

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 08:24 AM

Noel, I just remembered that I saw a racing ATV on the back of a pickup the other day with screw type studs in the tires. You might want to check with an ATV dealer to see if that have any screws/studs designed specifically for that application. 

#18 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 11:11 AM

propane1:

For what it's worth, I had original equipment tires on my JD 140, homemade chains I made from old tire chains, about 70 pounds of fluid in the rear times, and a fifty pound weight on the drawbar. Worked pretty good in snow, but like has been said before in this topic, not very good on ice.

Had studs in my car tires until they banned them. Had better luck with screws in the tires on lawn sweepers. They always wanted to slip, so used the screws so they would get some traction. Worked pretty good.

Enough rambling.  Harlan