Studded tires, what do you think,,,,,,,,

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,877 Thanks
  • 3,112 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 05:17 PM

Or, what do you guys do, or do you even stud tires, or just use chains. I have no money for chains for the 26x12x12 tires,so bought some screws for $4.00.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• daytime dave, Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#2 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,262 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 05:34 PM

I've used them on walk behind snowblower tires and they seem to help. 

• Alc, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,352 Thanks
  • 888 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 05:35 PM

No idea... i do recall a company from Sweden years ago selling studs that retracted on pavement,,because pavement is  harder than ice..never used studs myself..

• propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Littledeere OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,540 Thanks
  • 1,438 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 06:24 PM

The bad part about those screws if they come out in your drive way they may cost you more than the price of the chains

• olcowhand, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41778
  • 928 Thanks
  • 645 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 06:34 PM

Studs will do you little to no good on snow, they are made for ice! Also if you are using just screws be sure to remove them long before they wear down to just the shank. This is why actual studs cost so much they have a carbide tip that holds up to the wear of the ground contact. Chains are far cheaper than true studs and unless you plan to drive on ice chains are a far better traction device. Better yet buy some specific snow tires and a cheap set of used rims to mount them to and you will thank yourself later.
  • Alc, boyscout862, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,502 Thanks
  • 6,372 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 06:55 PM

Years ago, in 70's I used to Ice race motorcycle a bit. I used the side hack, but they were making a studded class at the time also. They used Knobbys and all sorts of other treads and those hex head screws. They DO come out, at least on fast bike. They experimented with diff lengths and heads and such, not sure what they came up with for the best choice. Then they even tried those 3-cornered snow-mobile spike things. Much bigger, still single bolt or screw to hold on and they came off all the time. Later the DNR  banned their use, as was on a small lake and didn't want later damage and such they said, AND, some drivers actually got hurt in collisions and drops, so club banned them also.  Many of the hack rigs had actual Snow-tires!  Not sure who had them, but were small like for a honda 90 and people laced them into there hubs. Some even tried dual wheels and tires, laced side by side for wider grip.  I've had small screws come out of things and end up in drive and flattened about three car tires before I had to go get a magnet thing with wheels and run over the whole thing to pick up metal parts and pieces. You'ld be suprised how much little screws, bearings, wire ends and such can be in your drive if you work in it. I see on MIller tire ads now they have studded GT tires, not sure how much or such, but probly not cheap. Best to find old chains and make them up to fit your rig. Would think Canada would have many new or old sets around, heh!  Sometimes buying the end links and connectors can get pricey of you need a lot, and working with them is PIA that I have done.  Good luck!

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 propane1 OFFLINE  

• 5,877 Thanks
  • 3,112 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 07:37 PM

I know the screws may come out. I thought I would try, just for the heck of it. Snow tomorrow again, so I will see what happens. If I see any pulled out, I'll take the rest of them out. I don't need flat tires. Only 4.00 bucks and I can use the screws in some thing else at some point.

• daytime dave, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,761 Thanks
  • 4,273 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 08:01 PM

The screws you put in work the opposite of what the studs do.  Studs are shot in under air pressure with the head into the rubber.  The point is what give the traction and are carbide tipped to handle the wear, as has been stated.  With the head of the screw making contact with the surface it is just like adding an ice skate.  Good set of chains is the way to go.  Just my opinion.

• propane1 said thank you

#9 propane1 OFFLINE  

• 5,877 Thanks
  • 3,112 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Thanks Cheiffan, I understand all of the things related to studs. I just thought I would try it. It's a cheap way of gaining traction, but we all know what happens when you go cheap. I am just experimenting. I have tryed many types of chains years ago. Rope, chain link fence, wire line, rubber floor mats. It was fun.

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 09:00 PM

I don't know much about your method, except it is a good budget minded idea.  I don't know how much spinning you will do.  I would think a VERY wide and aggressive thread would stay in the tire better than a standard thread.  Your concept is sound for ice.  

I run four studded tires all winter long on the truck.  I have enough chains for the winter workers.  I would be sweating where a screw would turn up if one popped out.

I'll be interested to see how this turns out.

#11 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 415 Thanks
  • 211 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 10:04 PM

Heres a pic of the plow tractor I use to use at my parents. Home made and copy of the Gibson garden tractors.  We didn't have chains but as mentioned I use to ice race as well and use those studs in the rear tires  Threaded part is 1 3/4 inches long  head is 1/4 x 3/8 tall. It has a 16 hp Kohler on it and hardly pulled out a stud. I had no issues for 10 years plowing with studded tires.  2nd picture is of the studs used

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2341.JPG
  • th.jpg

Edited by James Bosma, January 15, 2016 - 10:07 PM.

#12 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 458 Thanks
  • 461 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 10:25 PM

When youre said and done chains would prolly be cheaper.

what i mean is you could possiby have one fall out and puncture a tractor or car tire. or it could get shoved in and puncture. we know how much tires cost nowadays.

Chains would be alot better but if you have weight on the back and quite a bit of it you might be able to get by

I dont think they will help a hole lot, it depends on your conditions. 

Thats just my two cents.

good luck.

Edited by 637Yeoman, January 15, 2016 - 10:25 PM.

#13 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,511 Thanks
  • 7,373 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 01:13 AM

Just cut down car chains. They are usually very cheap around here because people went to the cables. Good Luck, Rick

#14 propane1 OFFLINE  

• 5,877 Thanks
  • 3,112 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 06:25 AM

No such thing around here any more. Cars or trucks have not used chains for the last 30 years. Good idea thou.

#15 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 6,494 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 06:36 AM

If you have a local paper or use cl try putting a "wanted old tire chains any size " you never know what people have tucked away for no longer used or odd ball size . At work the newer vehicle have different sizes so old used chains end up in the metal dumpster
  • boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks