• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:01 AM

I agree with the companion planting, however that seems to work better the following year then it does at the time of the problem. We had cabbage worms and snails last year and found that if we surrounded our broc. and brussles with saw dust the snails would leave it alone. I guess they just cant get though the saw dust that well. 

7-18-2013 (13).JPG  

I don't use any chemicals in our garden, but we do plant marigolds and nasturtiums every year to help ward off the pest along with a few other things like. basil , fennel , dill and such....If you can't eat it all make friends with your neighbors and or enjoy all the compost you will have for years to come.

I honestly think that after a few cycles of companion planting it gets much easier. We are also finding we have less pest then another guy I know that lives down the road and uses 7 dust every spring. 

We have hoverflys  and he don't , we see twice as many Bees and hoverflys as he does. hoverfly's  and bees are vital to our gardening. if you don't have them around get them by attracting them. They are your work force when you are not around.

• oldedeeres, FrozenInTime and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:51 PM

We used Sevin dust on them, kills them and they don't come back as long as you reapply after heavy rains.

Yes Sevin is what I use as well Have used powder, but find the liquid concentrate in a 1 gal sprayer is far more economical.

• FrozenInTime, toppop52 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#18 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 08:27 AM

I'll try the spray when my powder is gone, thanks.

• FrozenInTime and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#19 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 10:44 AM

We have had a bee problem the last couple years.  A guy put about 25 hives about 1/4 mile away.  Carolyn has sweet water out for the hummingbird and Orioles every year.  The bees find it and take over so the birds won't come and eat.  Got to our apples too.  Have more trouble with Red Cedar Rust on the apples than anything..  Countryside is being over run with Red Cedar trees.  They grow anywhere and spread like wild fire.  Cutting them kills them but when they take over open ground by the hundreds that is costly too.

• oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks