21 replies to this topic

#16 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 943 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 08:19 PM

I am thinking about building a trailer to put my puller on and hook to my panzer. I was thinking of a drop axle that puts the ramp on the ground, and with a long bar turn the drop axle up for ground clearance.

• KennyP said thank you

#17 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 09:23 PM

About 20 years ago I had a car dolly that I hauled a race car with, very similar to your sketch. Bill 76 mentioned that the tongue should pivot. On the one I had, the tongue was mounted rigid to the axle and the section that the car sat on pivoted on the axle. The dolly axle will have to be able to turn independently of the rear axle of the towed tractor. Another option you could look at is a tow bar. The towed vehicle stays on its own four wheels, you attach an A-frame to the front of the towed vehicle and they will just follow along as they are towed. There is one major flaw with these though, they only work going forward. I had one of these as well and got rid of it in favour of the dolly. I got rid of the dolly in favour of a tandem flatbed. I still have the tandem flatbed.

Jim

• Alc, Chris11, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 07:24 AM

About 20 years ago I had a car dolly that I hauled a race car with, very similar to your sketch. Bill 76 mentioned that the tongue should pivot. On the one I had, the tongue was mounted rigid to the axle and the section that the car sat on pivoted on the axle. The dolly axle will have to be able to turn independently of the rear axle of the towed tractor. Another option you could look at is a tow bar. The towed vehicle stays on its own four wheels, you attach an A-frame to the front of the towed vehicle and they will just follow along as they are towed. There is one major flaw with these though, they only work going forward. I had one of these as well and got rid of it in favour of the dolly. I got rid of the dolly in favour of a tandem flatbed. I still have the tandem flatbed.

Jim

I thought about the 'swivel' but that makes it more complicated. The axle would have to be wider to allow the ramps to turn and a lot more metal added for the swivel parts. I may just make a trailer with the axle.

• MNGB said thank you

#19 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,000 Thanks
  • 829 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 08:41 AM

Hi Kenny I like your idea and it would be interesting to see how it worked, but I think a trailer would be more useful in the long run just the same I'll stay tuned to see what happens.

• KennyP and Bmerf have said thanks

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 09:36 AM

Hi Kenny I like your idea and it would be interesting to see how it worked, but I think a trailer would be more useful in the long run just the same I'll stay tuned to see what happens.

I can say for sure I won't be building anything for now. Just putting options on 'paper' so to speak. A trailer would be easier to deal with. I have 6 tire/wheels that fit this axle. 2 are 4.00/4.80X8, the others are golf cart 18-8.50X8's with hub caps.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#21 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 12:04 PM

Looks good kenny, here is an idea. If you wanted to you could make it so you can take the ramps off and attach them to the tounge somewhere when you have a tractor in tow. I made a car dolly and that is what I did with it. I used a boat winch on it. I think that will work good. It looks nice to me
  • KennyP said thank you

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 12:07 PM

Looks good kenny, here is an idea. If you wanted to you could make it so you can take the ramps off and attach them to the tounge somewhere when you have a tractor in tow. I made a car dolly and that is what I did with it. I used a boat winch on it. I think that will work good. It looks nice to me

That is a good idea. Then the part the wheels sit on could be made to swivel some for turning. Hmmmmmmm?

• Tecumseh power said thank you