• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 12:04 PM

I started working on this right after Christmas. I bought an axle at the Show last October and have been debating making a trailer or a tow dolly out of it. Thought I would see what it would look like as the tow dolly, so I fired up Sketchup and went to work. It took a while as I would add something in and study what 'if's' for a bit.

I have no idea what that Orange line is under the RH tire as it will not erase. Think it has something to do with running a Windows program on Linux.

The winch parts are from a boat trailer. I saved that some time back. It has a strap instead of cable on it.

The ramps will have expanded metal in the bottom of them. I have no idea if this will even work, but it looks cool. The extra colors are so you folks can see detail easier.

I can add different views if someone wants a better look at something.

The right hand ramp is up in the tow position, while the LH is down for loading. About a 30° angle.

Tow Dolly1.jpg     Tow Dolly2.jpg

Tow Dolly3.jpg

• olcowhand, Gtractor, limebuzz and 12 others have said thanks

#2 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 12:22 PM

I made one something like that without the winch, more like the prybar mower jacks. I just use the boom pole now

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#3 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,009 Thanks
  • 835 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 01:02 PM

Hi Kenny looks like it will work, so what is the big plan you going to use it behind a pickup to go from on e spot to another?

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 01:08 PM

It's only a concept as yet! Not sure if I will build it. Just needed something GT related to do!

• wvbuzzmaster, MNGB and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 01:21 PM

Looks like it would work if you have a lot of moving of your tractors you don't want to or they don't want to start.  Make the ramps adjustable for width to cover 90% of the front wheel width.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 02:06 PM

Looks like it would work if you have a lot of moving of your tractors you don't want to or they don't want to start.  Make the ramps adjustable for width to cover 90% of the front wheel width.

They are adjustable. The RH is in, LH out!

#7 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 02:18 PM

Could also make a neat logging arch too...
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 03:35 PM

I think the tongue would have to pivot on the axle for it to turn when towing something - otherwise looks  like it would work fine.    

• KennyP said thank you

#9 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 03:46 PM

I think the tongue would have to pivot on the axle for it to turn when towing something - otherwise looks  like it would work fine.    

If you grab them by the back axle they pull pretty good. 

• KennyP said thank you

#10 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 04:04 PM

Question ? You call it "expanded metal" on the ramps . What is that   B B Q  grill ?  

Patrick.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 04:36 PM

Here is a picture of expanded metal  sizes vary to the size of the diamond,  it is avaliable in rasied or flat   raised expanded metal will provide traction need for the tires. 

The only thing I can see having issues with the dolly is the rate of speed your GT tires will be spinning. Will be good for short trips  wouldn't want to go 100 miles or may blow tires and excessive wear on the wheel bearings

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.png

• KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 05:07 PM

I was really meaning to use another GT to pull it!

#13 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 983 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 05:31 PM

Kenny, if there's a rock crusher nearby some old used 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4" screen cloth is a lot stronger as it is high carbon steel. Be easier to bolt it down to the ramp frames.

Mike

• limebuzz and KennyP have said thanks

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 07:20 PM

Neat idea, but would think you need to make it big enough to pull the back axle up on. Most hydros as example, say not to push much or at all. Would have to lock fronts then maybe, use a belt to something like real tow guy's used on cars with belt on steerig wheel and slammed into door?  Wondering about the ramps tilting?  Would be having to make a lock or pin or such to keep straight when up? OR, offset mount to make it come down and weight hold it??  What about more solid mount on those, and put rig under tractor before tilting down to hook up to tow rig? NAAA! too much work.  At least have pin or chain in front of those ramps to keep them flat once loaded.

What kind of program is this you use for drawings?  Way back I had house plan program and some others and puter dummy me had heck of time trying to run them. Yours looks much simpler, or you're just good at it, whichever. I could do lots of ideas if it was simple enough to use. Colors even, that is neat. Might just look at car tow dollies and see what ideas used and minitureize (sic) those or maybe get ideas. .  Another type of ramp might be just like big haulers or those commercial tractor lifts, where just made out of square tube in rectangle box, the wheel falls in it some, then strap over top of wheel to move. That's how they do the cars now with no steel bumpers to hook onto anymore. Use the winch to lift those back up off pavement then.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Neat idea, but would think you need to make it big enough to pull the back axle up on. Most hydros as example, say not to push much or at all. Would have to lock fronts then maybe, use a belt to something like real tow guy's used on cars with belt on steerig wheel and slammed into door?  Wondering about the ramps tilting?  Would be having to make a lock or pin or such to keep straight when up? OR, offset mount to make it come down and weight hold it??  What about more solid mount on those, and put rig under tractor before tilting down to hook up to tow rig? NAAA! too much work.  At least have pin or chain in front of those ramps to keep them flat once loaded.

What kind of program is this you use for drawings?  Way back I had house plan program and some others and puter dummy me had heck of time trying to run them. Yours looks much simpler, or you're just good at it, whichever. I could do lots of ideas if it was simple enough to use. Colors even, that is neat. Might just look at car tow dollies and see what ideas used and minitureize (sic) those or maybe get ideas. .  Another type of ramp might be just like big haulers or those commercial tractor lifts, where just made out of square tube in rectangle box, the wheel falls in it some, then strap over top of wheel to move. That's how they do the cars now with no steel bumpers to hook onto anymore. Use the winch to lift those back up off pavement then.

The ramps are hinged so when the tires get to the top, it tilts them off the ground. The Hydros I have do hsve a neutrl position for towing, etc. Won't be going fast as this is not highway rated!

The program is Sketchup. It's not real easy to learn, but I have been using it for a few years now!

• Chris11 and MNGB have said thanks