• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:37 PM

Seems like it would tend to make it light in the front. I suppose it would depend on tongue weight and pull. It wouldn't be bad if you backed up everywhere.

• MH81, Lauber1, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:38 PM

It should work as long as the tongue weight is not too heavy and you have level ground.  the way it projects back is going to put a lot of leverage on the rear and lift the frontend. If you have too much weight and hilly ground it may push you around.

Since my place is hilly I would want the ball closer to the rear of the GT,

Leverage power can not be underestimated.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 14, 2016 - 10:40 PM.

• MH81, KennyP, Lauber1 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:50 PM

im thinking that's a lot of trailer for the machine in the picture, for no more brakes than its going to have. Not sure that loads going to do the rear end much good either. Sometime things should just be left to machines that are built for this purpose.

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:55 PM

As a GT owner that uses heavy GTs to move my trailers around with their hitch height at 18" high, I will say that the "Hi-hitch" is dangerous... If you ever get traction. I have seen the front wheels of a Cub Cadet 122 lift with the hitch only 6" behind the rear cover plate at 18" high to the top of the ball, running 26" tall Atv tires. Most of my trailers weigh around 900-1500 pounds empty. My New Holland S-14 currently losses traction before I ever get into trouble, but that will change with new traction tires and weight. As a manufacturer, there is a reason very few company's offer a hitch system that mounts above the axle centerline... And why most of us end up building something like this ourselves. We know we are taking a risk being above the axle centerline, so we 'ride the clutch pedal' and weight our tractors accordingly. In my case, I have no open parking lot for my trailers, I have to put them in the yard, and that means tight corridors and sharp turns required in sometimes muddy, sloppy ground conditions. Obviously, the safest bet is hook to as big a tractor as you can navigate the area with. If you don't have a big enough tractor, you don't have the right place to park the trailer yet. I will say this, hook the trailer to something that weighs two to three times the trailer weight if you can when you need to move it. My garden tractors all match the trailer weight usually, and that keeps me just safe enough, especially since I only tow in the lowest gear possible.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, January 14, 2016 - 10:57 PM.

• daytime dave, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#6 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 11:09 PM

Looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen to me.  Some weekend warrior yuppie type will have the same setup pictured in the video on their John Deere from Lowe's that can do anything including towing their boat around the yard.  When in reality it will barely handle their lawn cart safely.  The thing will loose control and the boat will push the tractor over smashing it and killing the operator in the process.  Then the Mrs. will be suing everyone imaginable claiming it was their inferior product at fault even though her hubby had no idea what he was doing.  I agree with Casey, that thing is dangerous.  Most of us here I think would realize that it would take some common sense to use but the biggest percent of the public haven't got a clue and would hurt themselves or someone else in the process.  So I'm calling it a flop.

• MH81, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 4 others have said thanks

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 11:27 PM

Never even considered braking power... My garden tractors that I shuttle trailers with don't even have brakes right now. The Cub Cadet 102 internal brake is defunct, the New Holland is hydrostatic. I bought the Cub Cadet 108 to use as the shuttle instead of the 102 because it has the external brakes and they work great. I still have yet to set it up with a hitch (or move the one off the 102). I have to mount some good tires on the 108 yet, but neither of my Cub Cadets has the creeper. I bought a creaper missing that input gear, so I dunno what I was thinking lol. Still considering making a 2:1 reduction chain drive on the 102 for towing.
  • MH81 and chieffan have said thanks

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 11:52 PM

Center of gravity too high.

How much do you want it?

How much would you use it?

#9 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 123 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 12:18 AM

Needs wheelie bars.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 01:15 AM

Needs wheelie bars.

Mark my words.  Someone WILL get hurt or killed with this if it's not pulled off the market.

#11 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 01:16 AM

I wouldn't even consider using a hitch like that. It's an accident waiting to happen.
  • MH81, karl and chieffan have said thanks

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 01:30 AM

As to the original title?

Fantastic of Flop?

Flop for what will happen to some of the unfortunate souls that buy it.

Fantastic for the lawyers that will end up representing the 'flopees'.

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 04:41 AM

Needs wheelie bars.

On three sides..........
  • Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks

#14 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 04:58 AM

I think its fantabulous!

Just thinking of how handy it'll be has me ordering one later today. 

I'll probably have to rework it somewhat to get more height.  Mostly it'll be used on my 34 foot tandem-dual, deck over gooseneck so it'll have to be extended to roughly 4 feet above the ground. 

Might move the ball mount farther back too.  I read in Farm Show magazine that the farther back mounts puts more weight on the drive tires and with such small drive wheels on my STX38 it will need all the traction it can get.  Especially when backing up the 8% grade to my back yard.  It is usually muddy where my septic tank dumps out and I'll have to cross there so I'll probably use my DeWalt cordless and some 6 or 8 inch long self tapping screws into the tread on the STX38's tires for added traction.  Be almost as good as tire chains but shouldn't tear out the grass as much.  Thinking with the 8 inch screws in the tires I could leave them out 1 inch and aerate the yard while I drive.

If the STX38 doesn't have enough traction I can always mount it on my rear engine rider.  That aluminum block 8 horse engine sitting right over the rear axle will surely give the weight distribution needed.

Golly!  I hope they offer a one of those "second one for free - just pay separate processing and handling" super deals,  very few people are lucky to be offered. 

I wonder where the MRS hid my credit card.......

Edited by Gtractor, January 15, 2016 - 05:28 AM.

• MH81, OldBuzzard, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 06:33 AM

Being guilty of moving my 16' tandem trailer with a GT, I would not use this product. First, I never have the ball that high. Second, I use the FF which has about 80 lbs. hanging on the front for ballast. I think it will be a flop!

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster and chieffan have said thanks