Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

You've named your tractor. Admit it here.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 01:04 PM

Lol, we all like big "tires" right?

That depends, does it not?

The size of the tires should be in keeping with the size of the tractor frame overall. New tires made from natural products are my fave. Old tires have been known to sag badly due to a variety of reasons. Too much use, inadequate maintenance, improper inflation, too much UV exposure. punctures from metal objects and so forth can make them quite unappealing. Attempts to use tires as a "canvas" for artwork is particularly repugnant to me. The worst tires are the ones that have been subjected to the introduction of various chemicals to try and expand them or make them flat-proof. Under certain circumstances, this procedure might be justified (such as tire reconstruction) but all too often it is done for the wrong reasons and the overall appearance and handling of the tires just turns ugly.

#32 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 06:27 AM

No matter what you say, I like all tires and the bigger the better, to a certain end of course. You can't have the tires rubbing the fenders all the tires.

#33 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 07:05 AM

That depends, does it not?

The size of the tires should be in keeping with the size of the tractor frame overall. New tires made from natural products are my fave. Old tires have been known to sag badly due to a variety of reasons. Too much use, inadequate maintenance, improper inflation, too much UV exposure. punctures from metal objects and so forth can make them quite unappealing. Attempts to use tires as a "canvas" for artwork is particularly repugnant to me. The worst tires are the ones that have been subjected to the introduction of various chemicals to try and expand them or make them flat-proof. Under certain circumstances, this procedure might be justified (such as tire reconstruction) but all too often it is done for the wrong reasons and the overall appearance and handling of the tires just turns ugly.

No matter what you say, I like all tires and the bigger the better, to a certain end of course. You can't have the tires rubbing the fenders all the time.

I had to go back thru the thread to see what you two were talking about. :bigrofl:

#34 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 08:37 AM

...The size of the tires should be in keeping with the size of the tractor frame overall...

I do agree with that! That said though, I like most tires, as long as they're not oversize or "balloon" tires! They are OK for flotation purposes, but the handling is woefully inadequate!

...New tires made from natural products are my fave...The worst tires are the ones that have been subjected to the introduction of various chemicals to try and expand them or make them flat-proof. Under certain circumstances, this procedure might be justified (such as tire reconstruction) but all too often it is done for the wrong reasons and the overall appearance and handling of the tires just turns ugly.

I definitely like them natural and in their original configuration!

I had to go back thru the thread to see what you two were talking about. :bigrofl:

Me too! :bigrofl::bigrofl:

#35 fordguy OFFLINE  

fordguy

• Member No: 6206
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 02:39 PM

I've just always named my tractors Jaws. My first was a Gilson 16HP (Jaws I) a Ford LT12H (Jaws II), Ford 75 (Jaws III) and now a Montgomery Ward (Jaws IV)

#36 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 02:45 PM

i once had a wheelhorse named 'piece of sh--':smile1:
it was very fitting:D

#37 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 09:41 PM

Well the pic order didn't work for me again.
1-(named by wife-hers anyway) Ruby Red Dress
2-Uncle Bill
3-Clyde
4-Dick
5-Ron
6-Dolly
7-Long Hard Ride(old Marshall Tucker Band song)
8-Mader (named by wife and kids)
9-(Wife named it) when new the Silver Bullet- now Old Grey Mare, parts van
10-Wascal-(you know, like wabbit) watching me pull Uncle Bill out of the shed

Attached Thumbnails

• UncleBill2.jpg
  • Clyde1.jpg
  • Jimmy 2001-4.jpg
  • 000_0001.jpg
  • 108_0343.jpg
  • 1961 Massey Ferguson 001.jpg
  • 108_0218.jpg
  • 1975 Massey Ferguson 002.jpg
  • Loree's New Van 10-17-10.jpg
  • Ol Grey Mare.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, September 11, 2011 - 09:48 PM.

#38 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 02:55 AM

Some of mine are named for the sale ,were i bought them or the person i bought or got them from, the trouble makers - well we have other names for those

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 04:28 AM

MFDAC, I have noticed when uploading a group of pics, they never come in where I want them. I usually hit preview post to see where they are and move them around to correct order if need be.