• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 09:27 PM

Who knows how long it has been , but I got my machine moving snow again.

https://www.youtube....h?v=BI9976Qptcg
This is the GTTalk featured tractor for the month of Sept. 2015
005.JPG
  • DH1, MH81, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#2 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 09:41 PM

Very cool watching that classic tractor do its thing, and great pick on the tunes.
  • MGP59DB said thank you

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:04 PM

Great to see that machine working after all of the time and effort you put into it. Thanks for making the video!
  • MGP59DB said thank you

#4 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:20 PM

Great job!. youre not too far from me.

• MGP59DB said thank you

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 06:22 AM

Great to see your not afraid of using a show piece  for work :thumbs:   I would have to put a seat cover on,, I think my hiney would get cold lol

• MGP59DB said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 07:27 AM

Nice, glad she's moving it again.
:thumbs:
  • MGP59DB said thank you

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 08:44 AM

Love those little guys

• MGP59DB said thank you

#8 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for all the nice comments !! It makes clearing the snow 'FUN' - This is what I had in mind for this tractor from the very beginning . As a way to justify the money spent :smilewink:  It is cool to have as a classic and a show piece , but it is no good if I can't use it , or at least 'say' that I have. My ass does get cold !! :D  So I have to work on a cover for sure.

It runs so good - and work OK - I need to make some adjustments but overall it is a fine machine.

Some kid was riding his bike around and had to stop and watch !! I know he was thinking-- WTF is that? Not your average driveway plow .

I will clean it up this spring and plan to show it a couple of times ! I am trying to get my Uncle to get his out with me. He is not to enthused about it. But maybe I can just take one of them along with me.

PS - I am still working on the beast' in the background of the picture. :thumbs:

• Alc, KennyP, classic and 1 other said thanks

#9 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 06:58 PM

About the kid on the bike.... I ran into a similar situation. I was about 50 feet from the road and a guy was walking his dog. I never seen him before, but when he looked my way he took a double take, stared at the tractor for a few seconds, then went on his way. He looked confused the second time he glanced over. I was on my old Page tractor and it does have a strange look to it. Years ago I would have known anyone walking down the road and would have gotten a wave, or I would have killed the engine and we would have shot the breeze for a bit. Times sure have changed around here.
  • MGP59DB said thank you

#10 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 07:07 PM

Looks good, runs good sounds good. :thumbs:

• MGP59DB said thank you

#11 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 10:32 PM

When I was a kid my father bought an identical tractor in the summer of 1959 from the local Sears Farm Store. It was delivered to the house in a crate with "some assembly" necessary. He originally bought it to use in his 1 acre garden. He bought a number of accessories with it including the over center implement hitch, a 10" mold board plow, a disk, a cultivator complete with potato hilling attachments, a 42" mower deck, and of course the snow plow.

He used it to get the garden ready for spring planting, and keep it cultivated all summer long. Between garden duties it mowed a couple acres weekly in the summer months. In the winter it pushed tons of snow off the drive and parking area. Sometimes the snow was so deep we had to ride on the hitch to get enough traction to break through the drifts.

In those days the electric grid wasn't nearly as dependable as it is today so he bought a generator that mounted on the front of the tractor and was powered by a belt from the 5.75 hp Briggs engine. It went through a couple engines, new running gear bushings, bearings, and tie rods before he passed away in the early 1970's. It was finally sold at a garage sale in 1980.

It was a basic machine compared to today's garden tractors, but it worked harder and longer than most of todays machines. I hated to see the thing go, but neither I nor any of my brothers were in a position to keep it.

It's great to see the old machine working again, and it brings back some chilly memories.
  • Alc, Lauber1, classic and 1 other said thanks

#12 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted January 19, 2016 - 06:49 PM

That's a great story projectnut !! Thanks for sharing it . I can imagine how these machines were a part of someones life . It was cool to hear it first hand !!

I have collected the 3pt Hitch , 10" Plow , Disc , Cultivator , Potato plow , And Dozer blade so far .

002 (10).jpg

The Generator will be hard to find as well as a good mower deck . But I am also interested in them and a Spike Harrow . This is the original engine . Like you said it is a basic machine , but it has tons of charm ! I did some adjustments to it today (we had another 4-5 inches of snow ) It was pushing it really good !!

I am considering building a mount for the front of the tractor to hold my 5HP portable generator. Just for fun and show .

56977000.jpg

But in the end today 'Rusty' was back out earning his keep !

• Alc, KennyP and Lauber1 have said thanks

#13 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 08:13 AM

Well , after a season working with this tractor , (I hope this was our last snow) I was out again yesterday on 'Rusty' .

I had him dialed in very well and pushing strong , reverse belt replaced and adjusted right.. I have developed a strategy for cleaning the driveway with the least amount of back tracking .

I am very happy with how this thing is working , Always starts easy and has never - never missed or sputtered . The engine ran amazing for an original with minimal work done to it . I mean basically we only cleaned the points and replaced the condenser , made the wiring solid and the gas system clean . Never touched the carburetor except one minor idle adjustment .  

These machines do require 3 hands to operate .

This is the first GT project I have done and am very proud of what happened here .

I have a hobby , memories spending time with my uncle , and now an addiction  .

Thanks to all the members here on this forum for advice and encouragement , I look forward to more good things .

• KennyP said thank you

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 08:20 AM

Glad things have went well for you and Rusty!

• MGP59DB said thank you