• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 669 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 09:28 AM

Yesterday I hooked up a massey ferguson plow blade for the massey ferguson 12/10 to my Moto Mower 6020. Weird part is it bolted right to the drawbar and I just needed a chain tensioner (bar with 2 eye hooks and you turn the bar for it to tighten) to lift it. All went well except the lift on the Moto Mower didn't have a place to stop the plow blade so it was more than 1 1/2" off the ground and having no traction.

Anyone else have similar experiences with other brands and attachments?

Edited by Greasy6020, January 14, 2016 - 09:30 AM.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 09:53 AM

With out a pic, I do not understand what you are trying to get across. The draw bar is at the back. A plow blade goes on the front.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 669 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:25 AM

[quote name="KennyP" post="642623" timestamp="1452783211"]

With out a pic, I do not understand what you are trying to get across. The draw bar is at the back. A plow blade goes on the front.[/quote

Massey ferguson plow blade has a frame going to the back that bolts to the drawbar and uses the mower deck lift to raise and lower. The Moto Mower has the deck lift in about the same spot. So a massey ferguson plow blade is adaptable to other brands of the same era. I will take more pics when I get home.image.jpg

At the top (left in this picture as it is sideways) there is a bracket that has holes for bolts to mount the bracket to the drawbar as the point it gets attached at. Further in front (with the plow blade on the ground) there is a tab that has a hole for a bolt to go to the mower deck lift. That lined up with the mower deck lift on the Moto Mower. I just needed a cable tensioner (second picture) to hook up to the mower deck lift.

The point I was trying to make was that I found it really weird that the massey ferguson plow blade fit so well on the Moto Mower. I also wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar experience with other tractors and attachments
image.jpg

Edited by Greasy6020, January 14, 2016 - 10:34 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:33 AM

That explains a lot there! So you cannot get it to go down to the ground then? Or are you saying the back wheels are off the ground?

• propane1, Paulgo and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#5 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 669 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:37 AM

It lifts off the ground fine the back end stays it goes on the ground fine. I just need to extend the height control peg on the lift handle. The lift handle has the hsndle itself then there is a rectangular shaped bar that comes off of that (one corner it taken off to make a point) holds the deck at a certain height. I want to make a longer bar so the plow blade is off the ground more than 2" without being held. The frame for the plow blade is made from 1/4" steel. It gets heavy after 5 seconds...

Edited by Greasy6020, January 14, 2016 - 10:40 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 12:08 PM

Now I'm understanding!

• propane1 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 03:19 PM

Keep in mind those blades also had two angles or similar channel bracket that went on front of tractor and came up on each side of the blade channel to keep it from moving back and forth in front. Many times blades get sold with them left on tractor and not going with blade, so are missing for next guy. Some even had an assist spring on them to help lift easier.

ON the lift, you might need a longer arm on your rockshaft is all, or move it to another hole farther out on the one you are using?  Wheelhorse has more holes in their arm to use with diff attachment lift heights.  MTD blades for 990 and Whites are similar set-up blade, mounting to rear hitch.  Think even Jacobsen's and their brands like Fords did that, but same had a bent up rear section to go up to hitch and have channel lower under tractor to clear things on frame.  Wheelhorse had similar idea, BUT, used a ladder type frame and then a mount that clamped onto the front of the rear-end in back, not all the way to hitch. Again, those rear-end mounts get left on tractors when blade is sold and can't be used w/out one on next tractor.

#8 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 669 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 04:27 PM

Keep in mind those blades also had two angles or similar channel bracket that went on front of tractor and came up on each side of the blade channel to keep it from moving back and forth in front. Many times blades get sold with them left on tractor and not going with blade, so are missing for next guy. Some even had an assist spring on them to help lift easier.

ON the lift, you might need a longer arm on your rockshaft is all, or move it to another hole farther out on the one you are using? Wheelhorse has more holes in their arm to use with diff attachment lift heights. MTD blades for 990 and Whites are similar set-up blade, mounting to rear hitch. Think even Jacobsen's and their brands like Fords did that, but same had a bent up rear section to go up to hitch and have channel lower under tractor to clear things on frame. Wheelhorse had similar idea, BUT, used a ladder type frame and then a mount that clamped onto the front of the rear-end in back, not all the way to hitch. Again, those rear-end mounts get left on tractors when blade is sold and can't be used w/out one on next tractor.

The bracket you are talking about is to stop the blade from swaying side to side? I didn't see that on the massey ferguson 12 the blade came with...

More leverage would help with lifting the blade but I need something to hold the blade at the height I want (more than 2" off the ground). I need to extend the part of the lift handle that holds the handle where it needs to be. Pics will follow after homework is done...

Edited by Greasy6020, January 14, 2016 - 04:32 PM.

#9 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 06:18 PM

Early Massey executive tractors ( In yellow) were made by the  Duracorp company. The same company that made the Motomower, maybe they copied some of the designs when Massey made their own red ones.

• propane1 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 06:23 PM

With the simplicity of the design, it wouldn't surprise me at all that the blade will work. The side to side piece is important.

Also, the dura built units will snap rear axels if pushed to hard.... And they are getting hard to find.
  • TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#11 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 669 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 09:48 PM

With the simplicity of the design, it wouldn't surprise me at all that the blade will work. The side to side piece is important.
Also, the dura built units will snap rear axels if pushed to hard.... And they are getting hard to find.

Ok. Moto mower will be used for shows and light duty. I love the simplicity of the design though...easy to work with...
  • MH81 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#12 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 669 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 10:55 AM

Just another update...

I was looking at the massey ferguson snowblower that came with my parts 12, looks like again, the massey ferguson attachment will hook right up to to the Moto Mower 6020. I can assume I will need to make brackets though.

Will 6.5 hp be enough power to run the massey ferguson snowblower in deep wet heavy snow? Will the Moto Mower handle it in less than ideal conditions?

Moto Mower has wheel weights (50 pounds each??) and ag tires.

Anyone think this is a good/bad/horrible idea? Opinions as always are very welcome!

Thanks again!

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 11:10 AM

6.5hp won't run it in the heavy wet stuff.
A reringed and snappy 10 works hard with that blower in deeper stuff.

#14 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 669 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 11:53 AM

6.5hp won't run it in the heavy wet stuff.
A reringed and snappy 10 works hard with that blower in deeper stuff.

Ok. I figured it wouldn't have enough hp...

What about finding a Honda clone to make a self contained power unit?

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 01:33 PM

Ok. I figured it wouldn't have enough hp...
What about finding a Honda clone to make a self contained power unit?

You'll have to counter balance with springs or something so that the runners don't try to dig in/you can still lift it.
Also, the front end spindles and axel will take some add'l abuse.
  • Greasy6020 said thank you