#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 09:21 AM

This isn't a CL add or anything like that so I didn't put in sales or CL sections.

My coworker has a 1993 JD 425, about 3000 on a twin 20 Hp Kaw? with a 54" deck. His dad bought it new, now his son has it. He tells me he thinks his son wants to sell and was asking me value. I am not sure.

I know he tore al the skins off of it, cleaned it, replaced all O rings on steering box, steering cyl has been replaced, the mother board, ignition switch, starter, and some seals on the transaxle. It still has a hydro leak they cannot find and are frustrated and done with it.

What do you think? I told him to let me know first off, he asked if I would pay 600 for it. I am not a JD guy, but may have to think on that one hard. I told him he could easily turn it for 1000, maybe higher if he really wants to squeeze the pennies out of it.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and propane1 have said thanks

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:24 AM

Just a very quick scan on the net showed them going from $1500-4000. so you should be able to come out good on it.

• TAHOE and propane1 have said thanks

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 12:25 PM

One in NS, Canada for $6700.00. Has deck and blower. Chains and weights. 880 hours.

Noel
  • TAHOE said thank you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 03:22 PM

Can't buy it no space remember?  Besides, you would be going to the DARK side owning a Deere!  Sounds cheap tho, but high hours for sure.

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 06:53 PM

3000 hours is a ton on a gas engine.  The only reason it is still running is the fact that it's liquid cooled..  If he has rebuilt it and freshened the engine up I's start @ 1500..  

If not, $1200 and stay around 1K. or call me and I'll pay the $600 as long as he delivers it!

Those are great machines but with the hydro leak (right side rear?)  Usually the brake shaft seal..  Mine has leaked a bit for a year or so now..  I don't sweat it due to the fact that my storage area is dirt/gravel and watch the oil level..  If I get a spark or a break when I feel the desire to fix it I will..  Until then, it will leak a bit..   :flipping_flapjacks:

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 07:44 AM

Can't buy it no space remember?  Besides, you would be going to the DARK side owning a Deere!  Sounds cheap tho, but high hours for sure.

and no money. If I bought it, which would be highly doubtful, I would strip it down and paint it some other color, like RED!!!! :rocker2:  :rocker2:

3000 hours is a ton on a gas engine.  The only reason it is still running is the fact that it's liquid cooled..  If he has rebuilt it and freshened the engine up I's start @ 1500..  

If not, $1200 and stay around 1K. or call me and I'll pay the $600 as long as he delivers it!

Those are great machines but with the hydro leak (right side rear?)  Usually the brake shaft seal..  Mine has leaked a bit for a year or so now..  I don't sweat it due to the fact that my storage area is dirt/gravel and watch the oil level..  If I get a spark or a break when I feel the desire to fix it I will..  Until then, it will leak a bit..   :flipping_flapjacks:

He has replaced a few seals in the transaxle, but there is one that still eludes him. He said it maybe on the right side? as he replaced a couple on the other side. He told me son is now on hold for selling, but would let me know first.

His dad bought it new and always had dealer do any work. He cut 16 acres with it about once a week for 18 yrs or so. I know it's a lot of hours, but they have taken care of it.

• propane1 said thank you