Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

LX188 pto clutch pulley gets hot (too hot?)

pulley pto clutch hot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 deafvet OFFLINE  

deafvet
  • Member No: 79718
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:26 PM

Recently replaced the pto clutch with an aftermarket (Xtreme) one because the bearings on the old one were bad which caused the clutch bolt to first fall out, then  the replacement bolt broke off in the engine shaft. 

All looks good now, the mower deck pulleys and spindles spin freely and the mower works well.

However, after mowing for about 20 minutes or so, the pto clutch pulley seems to get pretty hot, almost too hot to touch. 

Is that normal ?    I am thinking it is due to heat from the energized clutch and partly from friction of the mower deck belt.

Thanks for any comments.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 03:37 PM

Some electric clutches have tension adjustment. Use three bolts/nuts, with springs on them for tension and a feeler gauge to put between the discs and body in three spots. Believe that is when it is OFF. Have to adjust all three the same dimension to be pulled in even. OR, things like belt slipping, wrong size taper on belt for the pulley and not seating, or loose belt, the two mule drive pulleys with bad bearings in them, things like that. Really, I guess I never checked mine to see if any heat on it after using. Would think once engaged if set right, would be no slipping in the unit, the belt would be next thing to check.