61 replies to this topic

#31 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Wow, Your detailed work really shows!

Your setting the bar pretty high for us old guys!:)

Great looking tractor.

The MF12 is on my list of tractors to have. Nice restoration!!!!!! Thanks for sharing your progress.Will be looking forward to any new pictures.

Regards,

Chris

#32 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 300 Thanks
  • 298 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 08:15 PM

MN, thank you for the info on the rims.  Now as for the fuel tank, muffler, and dipsticks, here are my observations as I've had probably four or more of the MF12's through here and found some info in the parts catalog:

• The large muffler with chrome guard was not an option but rather was standard equipment on the newest of the MF-12s, according to the parts book, it started with SN = 1446806983 and up. Prior to that a "pepper pot" muffler was used.
  • The larger 19-5/8"  fuel tank was standard on the older MF-12 tractors but just as with the change in muffler, at SN = 1446806983 they went to the smaller 14-1/2" tank. 
  • The dipstick with tube was not used until  SN 1446806953 (very close to the change in tanks and mufflers).
  • The fuel tanks on these MFs are prone to rust and contaminant problems. I took one apart and found that it was really one tank with another tank slid over the end and soldered onto it with a small passage between the two. Its very difficult to clean the outermost compartment.

• limebuzz, MH81, Bipitybopityboo and 2 others have said thanks

#33 MN Masseys OFFLINE  

MN Masseys
  • Member No: 62622
  • 76 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 08:30 PM

I think you are right on the engine color, so it probably was a transplant.Do the Cricut's use standard sign vinyl? You can buy masking vinyl that makes removal a lot easier. Sometimes it's still a good idea to trim with the exacto like you did anyway. I've been cutting vinyl in the same old 24" cutter since 1992.DAC

I'm pretty sure the Cricut vinyl is just standard vinyl. I've only boughten it from Cricut. On some of the craft forums people talk about going to their local sign shop to buy vinyl, so I guess any of it would work. I wasn't aware of masking vinyl, I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

<p>MN, thank you for the info on the rims. Now as for the fuel tank, muffler, and dipsticks, here are my observations as I've had probably four or more of the MF12's through here and found some info in the parts catalog:

• The large muffler with chrome guard was not an option but rather was standard equipment on the newest of the MF-12s, according to the parts book, it started with SN = 1446806983 and up. Prior to that a "pepper pot" muffler was used.
  • The larger 19-5/8" fuel tank was standard on the older MF-12 tractors but just as with the change in muffler, at SN = 1446806983 they went to the smaller 14-1/2" tank.
  • The dipstick with tube was not used until SN 1446806953 (very close to the change in tanks and mufflers).
  • The fuel tanks on these MFs are prone to rust and contaminant problems. I took one apart and found that it was really one tank with another tank slid over the end and soldered onto it with a small passage between the two. Its very difficult to clean the outermost compartment.
Good info on the muffler/fuel tank/dipstick situation. And, you're definitely right about cleaning the fuel tank. I bought a cleaner/seal kit from Eastwood Auto and getting all of the cleaner out and the sealer in was a chore. I've used the same kits on motorcycle tanks with no problems, but the baffles inside this one were difficult to work with.
  • MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#34 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 300 Thanks
  • 298 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 08:38 PM

I found some pictures of when I disassembled a junk tank (19-5/8").  I was really surprised at its construction. I believe Sears used a similar tank on some of the yellow Suburbans.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7502.JPG
  • IMG_7503.JPG

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#35 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 09:11 PM

MN, thank you for the info on the rims.  Now as for the fuel tank, muffler, and dipsticks, here are my observations as I've had probably four or more of the MF12's through here and found some info in the parts catalog:

• The large muffler with chrome guard was not an option but rather was standard equipment on the newest of the MF-12s, according to the parts book, it started with SN = 1446806983 and up. Prior to that a "pepper pot" muffler was used.
  • The larger 19-5/8"  fuel tank was standard on the older MF-12 tractors but just as with the change in muffler, at SN = 1446806983 they went to the smaller 14-1/2" tank. 
  • The dipstick with tube was not used until  SN 1446806953 (very close to the change in tanks and mufflers).

Thank-you AC! I sorta had the right idea, but was hoping someone that knew the real story would speak up!  I just removed the 14-1/2" tank from my 12G and compared it to a junk tank from my Executive that's around 10 years older. Besides the junk one being shorter they are darn near identical in construction. I can't see the baffle in the 12 tank but it's very visible in the 8E tank. Looks like your discovery was happening years before too! Pic is the 2 tanks.

I'm pretty sure the Cricut vinyl is just standard vinyl. I've only boughten it from Cricut. On some of the craft forums people talk about going to their local sign shop to buy vinyl, so I guess any of it would work. I wasn't aware of masking vinyl, I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

Good info on the muffler/fuel tank/dipstick situation. And, you're definitely right about cleaning the fuel tank. I bought a cleaner/seal kit from Eastwood Auto and getting all of the cleaner out and the sealer in was a chore. I've used the same kits on motorcycle tanks with no problems, but the baffles inside this one were difficult to work with.

You can get a better deal buying from these guys but the quantities may be more than you want. I probably throw away scraps that can work in the Cricut! Threw in a pic of my old cutter. 25 years old and still works great. Was probably the last of the American made ones.

http://www.uscutter.com/

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• MF8E gas tank 015.jpg
  • Ioline 001.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, January 18, 2016 - 09:13 PM.

#36 AriensGT16 OFFLINE  

AriensGT16
  • Member No: 79967
  • 9 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 07:50 PM

Very nice restoration work. Glad to see you used the correct Massey Flint Grey Metallic paint for the chassis instead of the flint grey I've seen used on some. Regarding the engine dipstick, yours has the correct one for the year of the tractor that uses your style muffler. I see that you painted the engine block white. They were originally flint grey metallic, same as the chassis but it still looks really great. I'm certain you and your son will be very proud when you show it this summer.

#37 MN Masseys OFFLINE  

MN Masseys
  • 76 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

This engine block and head was white when we disassembled it. I have heard that they were originally Flint Gray from the factory. This leads me to believe that this engine may have been a transplant.

#38 Jatay OFFLINE  

Jatay
  • Member No: 83340
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 14, 2016 - 04:44 AM

Where did you get muffler

#39 MN Masseys OFFLINE  

MN Masseys
  • 76 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 09:07 PM

We found the muffler set up on eBay.

Sorry that we don't really have much for updates lately. Progress is still being made, just very slowly lately!
  • KennyP said thank you

#40 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 10:32 PM

First of all I can't believe I have not seen your project until now. Not much can be said except I'm foaming at the mouth looking at your expertise. I started my 1968 Mf12 two years ago. I have it in boxes totally dismantled, sb,primed & what an inspiration this is. I have done two gt's since then because they needed it bad to work with. Mine will be my wife's trailer queen.

Do you have a lot of work to do on your hood/head light area, mine was buggered up pretty bad by the po. A few members on here helped me with the detailed pics of how it's suppose to be.

There's so much to compliment you on I could go on & on. One thing I noticed you had a black decal on your engine shroud. I had a red one & have seen both during the same years. I like the black better. I'll stop now but I will definitely be watching. Awesome job.
  • KennyP said thank you

#41 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 08:52 PM

Haven't seen any pictures recently on this but it sure sets the bar pretty high. I like the correct flint gray for the chasis and would have liked to get that for my MF8 :(. Maybe the next one:)

Details are awesome like all the screw slots on the dash horizontal and look to be stainless too?

Regards,

Chris

#42 MN Masseys OFFLINE  

MN Masseys
  • 76 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 08:30 PM

I have a touch of OCD and had to have the screw heads all facing the same way! They are indeed stainless. We tried to use either original color, painted hardware or yellow zinc plated on this whole tractor. I wasn't able to find yellow zinc screws that size anywhere, so we went with stainless in a few areas.

I'll try to post a few updated pics sometime this weekend.
  • Sawdust and Sugarmaker have said thanks

#43 MN Masseys OFFLINE  

MN Masseys
  • 76 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Here are a few pics as promised. The first two are of the rear wheels after finishing and mounting tires. The 3rd pic is of the assembled rear sleeve hitch. The last pic is of the Brinly cultivator pieces that are awaiting paint and assembly. We also have the beams ready for paint and final assembly.

Our air compressor was pretty much worn out from 15 years of use and all of the sand blasting that has been going on, so we had some down time waiting for rebuild parts. But, it's coming along, just slowly lately.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• DMAX, limebuzz, MH81 and 5 others have said thanks

#44 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Very nice progress! Hope you get the compressor going. I went and bought a new one a couple years ago. Would love to have a sand blast cabinet! DO you have a before picture of the culitvator assembly?

Regards,

Chris

#45 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 10:20 PM

Beautiful job! It's neat that it's a father/son project. :thumbs:

• Sawdust said thank you