61 replies to this topic

#16 DMAX OFFLINE  

DMAX

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 264
  • 181 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 04:30 PM

That's very impressive work! The battery decals are a nice touch, I really like those. Thanks for sharing the pics.

• Sawdust and KBuzz have said thanks

#17 Bubbaj2 OFFLINE  

Bubbaj2
  • Member No: 79311
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 04:35 PM

Oh, and by the way, do you have a favorite parts source.  I am having a heck of a time finding a carb for this thing.

MF-G Tecumseh 

#18 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 290 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Awesome work! I hope I can get my 12 done someday.  I agree those battery decals really set it off.

#19 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 08:19 PM

Looks Awesome.  :thumbs:

#20 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 09:24 PM

That is SWEET!!! Nice work!  Now I wish mine looked that good.

#21 MN Masseys OFFLINE  

MN Masseys
  • Member No: 62622
  • 76 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Bubbaj2 made the comment that this is the adrenaline he needs to keep himself going on his project. Well, I was thinking the same about all of the projects that I see on this website-they're what I need to keep myself moving along. Thanks!

I'll post some replies to questions and comments tomorrow morning when I can use my laptop instead of my phone. I'll also get a couple pics of the exhaust installed and of the grille.
  • MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#22 MN Masseys OFFLINE  

MN Masseys
  • 76 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 09:13 AM

Wow, nice job. Will last for years.

Noel

Looking as good as new and lasting for many years was my goal going into this project.  I wanted it to have a "WOW" :worshippy1: factor with my dad and family when it's complete to show them that we don't just "tinker around" in the shop-actual work and projects do get done!

I also wanted my son to be able to have it for many years into the future to help him remember his Massey Ferguson roots. :smilewink:

Better than showroom , he has every reason to be excited!
And :thumbs: to you Dad. It's time well spent.
I do see one little thing and to avoid you irritation issues later is the only reason I bring it up.
To the best of my knowledge, the extended gas tank has to be used with the short dipstick, but they used the long dipstick with the deluxe muffler because of being very hard to reach. Might look at that situation and see if there is a resolution.

This tractor didn't originally have the deluxe muffler option and I'm assuming that the dipstick is the correct one for this engine.  However, I'm not fully convinced that this is the original engine to it.  It is a Tecumseh HH120, just maybe not the factory installed one.  To your point, getting at the dipstick with the muffler and gas tank on it is a pain in the you-know-what and we won't be checking the oil level when it's hot!

Nice deluxe muffler and nice work. :thumbs:

I was originally trying to get ahold of a member of this forum that remakes these mufflers and heat shields in polished stainless steel, but was never able to get in touch with him.  The original peppershaker muffler was shot anyway, so when I came across this one on eBay and figured I'd better jump at the opportunity to have one.

That's very impressive work! The battery decals are a nice touch, I really like those. Thanks for sharing the pics.

That's the same thing I thought when I first saw them and had to have a set.  Thanks to member DanP for reproducing these and making them available to the rest of us.

Oh, and by the way, do you have a favorite parts source.  I am having a heck of a time finding a carb for this thing.

MF-G Tecumseh 

Honestly, eBay has been a good parts source.  Our engine and carb rebuild parts have come from there.  Also, our sleeve hitch and deluxe muffler came from there.  Just have to do some solid research to make sure what you're buying is actually going to fit when it shows up.  Our bearings, seals, belts, etc. have come from our local NAPA and (as much as I don't like to say it) John Deere dealers.  JD is a bad word in our family! :toilethead:

• DMAX, limebuzz, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#23 MN Masseys OFFLINE  

MN Masseys
  • 76 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 09:50 PM

A few more pictures that I promised.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• DH1, Alc, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 09:54 PM

MF-G Tecumseh

I believe two (or more) of our sponsors has them.

#25 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 290 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 12:22 AM

What's the trick to masking off the front wheels to make them two-tone?  You also did an amazing job painting the black insert on the grille.

• Sawdust said thank you

#26 adolphsson09 OFFLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 12:54 AM

I just did an inspection of your work on my 60" monitor (VIZIO TV) and all I can say is EXCELLENT WORKMANSHIP!!

• Sawdust said thank you

#27 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 06:27 PM

I'm pretty sure your engine may be the original but I read somewhere on this site that when the long gas tank option was purchased you could not get the deluxe muffler and that option would also use a shorter dipstick. The pic is the dipstick for the shorter tank and deluxe muffler. Maybe someone will speak up that has more accurate info.

This is a beautiful build and your craftsmanship and attention to detail is top notch! Thanks for posting it.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• HH120 piston & valves 018.jpg

#28 MN Masseys OFFLINE  

MN Masseys
  • 76 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 07:53 PM

What's the trick to masking off the front wheels to make them two-tone?  You also did an amazing job painting the black insert on the grille.

The grille took a fair amount of time to mask off to my satisfaction and I think we used half of a roll of tape!

As for the wheels, I used our Cricut machine with some vinyl to make round stickers to use as the defining line.
1) Prep and paint the centers red.
2) After the paint is set up, apply round vinyl decals to the centers and mask off any other areas that we don't want to be silver.
3) Lightly sand the outer rim, prep and paint silver. The paint that I used needed to be clear coated to get the amount of gloss that I wanted.
4) After the silver and clear coat are dry enough, carefully peel up the round vinyl decal and any other masking tape. I had to run a small knife along the vinyl to get a clean break.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• limebuzz, MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#29 MN Masseys OFFLINE  

MN Masseys
  • 76 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 08:13 PM

I just did an inspection of your work on my 60" monitor (VIZIO TV) and all I can say is EXCELLENT WORKMANSHIP!!

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure your engine may be the original but I read somewhere on this site that when the long gas tank option was purchased you could not get the deluxe muffler and that option would also use a shorter dipstick. The pic is the dipstick for the shorter tank and deluxe muffler. Maybe someone will speak up that has more accurate info.

This is a beautiful build and your craftsmanship and attention to detail is top notch! Thanks for posting it.
DAC

Our engine was white with gray shrouding and such. I've been told that the original engines were all gray. We just put it all back together the same way it was when we took it apart. I'd be curious to learn more too. We have a 1971 MF12H parts machine and it definitely doesn't have its original HH120, but has the same dipstick and gas tank combo as this one.

#30 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 09:03 PM

I think you are right on the engine color, so it probably was a transplant.

Do the Cricut's use standard sign vinyl? You can buy masking vinyl that makes removal a lot easier. Sometimes it's still a good idea to trim with the exacto like you did anyway. I've been cutting vinyl in the same old 24" cutter since 1992.

DAC

• Sawdust said thank you