#16 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:02 PM

God I hate computers.

Patrick.

Edited by Little Irish Men, January 13, 2016 - 09:10 PM.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#17 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:07 PM

Do you konw if there is any kind of ins in the walls , old news papers, rags, or what ever ? 

Patrick.

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:17 PM

I know in some of the newer remodeled parts of the house there is regular roll insulation. The living room I have no idea. I had an outlet box out once and seen nothing but I was in a hurry and didn't investigate

The attic has a single layer of roll insulation. Needs more.

Darn living room and laundry room is always cold. Even with the upgraded furnace and duct work. When the furnace is running its toasty but it cools right off. I have good windows. Fixed weather stripping on the doors.

I insulated the basement ceiling with good insulation. I fixed all the drafts in the basement. So the floor is much warmer now.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 13, 2016 - 09:22 PM.

#19 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:46 PM

Ok,,,Which type insulation you using? Cellulose fibre or fibreglass..  Where I live I the attic area would get cellulose fibre blown in a foot deep(R40) More if customer wanted it. Blowing any of these products helps...its better than nothing and a lot less work/$$$ than opening up walls and installing batts of insulation, vapour barrier and sealing it up tight. 

Does not take much for these products to get hung up blowing into walls...a couple power wires going through studs horizontal can prevent product from dropping down in cavity...

The cellulose fibre is ground up newspaper with a fire retardant added I think..

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:58 PM

It would be cellulose from lowes.

I agree it has issues but as much as I want to insulate I am not tearing out tons of lathe and plaster. Been there done that. Filled up a dumpster and then some. Shoveled and lugged trash cans for days...

#21 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:14 PM

Ok Jazz has a point there are things in the wall to hang up the blowing of ins. The plaster on the back side of lathe , Electrical  wires were not that big of a

problem back in   1922 . Never the less there are all kinds of new and improve  ins to put in the wall . Do your home work and it will pay off .

Patrick.

#22 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:53 PM

Little Irish Men makes a good point..I have no idea what is new on the market..I know there is foam insulation equipment that can be rented for spraying attics...must have something for filling a wall cavity...

When I was learning to use urea 35 years ago it was on my bosses new house we were building...he was blowing in the foam and I was inside with my hands on wall feeling the foam to let him know how high the foam was in wall..he tells me,,,we got time,,check the sausages on the grill..I no sooner got to the grill,,,the cavity of wall was filled and the pressure popped the drywall off the wall! What a mess,,,don't try  and clean it up,,,let it harden and then deal with it..

Edited by Jazz, January 13, 2016 - 10:54 PM.

#23 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 11:18 PM

Blowing it in will definitely give a better insulation than batts. Fills the voids easier.

I wonder? Maybe equipment has improved over the last 50 yrs.   I know my parents had blown installation put in a house back in the 50s..

about 7 yrs later there was a fire and the upstars had to be repaired and remodeled.

The insulation had settled about 18 inches and there was no insulation in the top of every chamber.

#24 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 11:27 PM

Little Irish Men makes a good point..I have no idea what is new on the market..I know there is foam insulation equipment that can be rented for spraying attics...must have something for filling a wall cavity...

When I was learning to use urea 35 years ago it was on my bosses new house we were building...he was blowing in the foam and I was inside with my hands on wall feeling the foam to let him know how high the foam was in wall..he tells me,,,we got time,,check the sausages on the grill..I no sooner got to the grill,,,the cavity of wall was filled and the pressure popped the drywall off the wall! What a mess,,,don't try  and clean it up,,,let it harden and then deal with it..

Reminds me of a job I worked on back in 84. My brother-in-law and I went to San Antonio in January (both laid off at the factory).

Went to work as sub-contractors for a building contractor. They sent us to a house in oldest part of the city. Another crew had jacked up a house and re-leveled it. It had been set on cedar pilings. Instead of taking it up gradually so things would go back in place.

They had done it all in one lift and blown 34 sheets of drywall off the walls. Took some time to cut out and replace that.

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 11:29 PM

It would be cellulose from lowes.

I agree it has issues but as much as I want to insulate I am not tearing out tons of lathe and plaster. Been there done that. Filled up a dumpster and then some. Shoveled and lugged trash cans for days...

Been there and done that, but you forgot to mention sucking all that toxic dust into your lungs too,